Pod Your Reef

My PJ reef little tank

pj86

I have had this tiny tank for 10 months now and feel it deserves its own thread. The little tank began as a one of a kind try at building a small tank that has no to little maintenance. The little tank began its life December, 13th, 2011.

Current Picture 11/25/2014

PJreef_003_Lifestyle.JPG?115

DSC08968.JPG
January 24, 2012

DSC09016.JPG
February 9, 2012

photo%201.JPG
April 24, 2012

DSC09247.JPG
July 12 ,2012

I have had this tiny tank for 10 months now and feel it deserves its own thread. The little tank began as a one of a kind try at building a small tank that has no to little maintenance for my lovely girlfriend. I must have made it with lots of love, because till now it is still running.

The little tank began its life December, 13th, 2012.

Quick question, how is this tank 10 months old and how did you start it in December 13, 2012? we are still in October 2012 hehehe I think you put the wrong year.

looks cool:) is that a sealed system? also i believe you ment december 2011, might want to fix that

Thanks. Not a sealed system, it has a small 1 cm hole at the top. Hardly needs any top off water every month and a half or so.

whoops, corrected the year. Thanks!!

Love this!!!

Thanks

Cool project! Whats actually inside there tho? Seen a mushroom and little marco.

Thanks. The mushroom perished about a month ago. I will put an updated photo. In the jar there is live rock, 3 types of macro, amphipods and copepods, green star polyp, a very hardy zoa and paly, occasionally I see sponges pop up and disappear, also i see several different snails pop up and go.

great lil reef! any pictures from a distance? :D

Will be taking one today.

you have any flow in there pj?

No flow, just the live rock, saltwater and light.

very awesome. where did you get that jar?

Thanks, they are libbey jars and can be bought in any hobby store.

Hah, that is awesome. When are you adding the tang?

Thanks, soon...haha.

Thanks, they are libbey jars and can be bought in any hobby store.

Thanks, soon...haha.

How often do you change the water?

What other maintenance do you perform?

Lighting?

• 2 years later...

Did you come up with a way to heat it? I have a DIY jar setup too but I think it'd help if I could get the temp stable at 78F. That looks like it's doing really nicely!

Did you come up with a way to heat it? I have a DIY jar setup too but I think it'd help if I could get the temp stable at 78F. That looks like it's doing really nicely!

Nice! Do you have a thread for it?

I've been experimenting with peltiers (pretty much desktop coffee warmers.) I have not figured out a cheap way to monitor the temperature while controlling the warmer, that requires some form of controller.

I've been experimenting with peltiers (pretty much desktop coffee warmers.) I have not figured out a cheap way to monitor the temperature while controlling the warmer, that requires some form of controller.

I don't! I'll have to get a picture of it sometime, it's not nearly as impressive as yours though.

Good thought on the peltier. I wonder how many watts you would really need to heat one of these little jars well. I know a PSU and such is easy enough, as is the peltier. Those are both relatively cheap. I'll look into controllers, maybe something Arduino based could do it effectively on the cheap.

what about using something along the lines of a simple reptile thermostat and probe, although it may not be as reliable as something made for aquariums it has potential to work on such a small volume of water.

what about using something along the lines of a simple reptile thermostat and probe, although it may not be as reliable as something made for aquariums it has potential to work on such a small volume of water.

I've been looking at that too. It's called Flexwatt heat tape.

Another question. Right now I have an EBay 5x1W par LED bulb over mine. Zoas are often closed with it and my ricordia is slumped over. What do you think of putting a Coral Compulsion 22K PAR 30 (14W) over it?

Posting in other thread as well.

Archived