Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clayton's ADA 60F LPS Dominant Reef

ClaytonG

The new scape is definitely a finishing touch. Btw, are any of the scapes touching the glass?

The right side near the front is close. I made sure to leave space so that I can clean the glass later, I'll have to use a scraper since it tight but, I can at least get to it. Whenever I was scaping the first time around, one of the rocks was touching the glass and scratched it near the back right, so I learned my lesson about scaping to close to the glass from that experience lol. Guess I has to learn the hard way, but it's in a spot that it isn't noticeable.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

The right side near the front is close. I made sure to leave space so that I can clean the glass later, I'll have to use a scraper since it tight but, I can at least get to it. Whenever I was scaping the first time around, one of the rocks was touching the glass and scratched it near the back right, so I learned my lesson about scaping to close to the glass from that experience lol. Guess I has to learn the hard way, but it's in a spot that it isn't noticeable.

Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to place my scapes carefully.....lol

Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to place my scapes carefully.....lol

Yeah, like it wasn't deep or anything but it's there. I was being a little careless at the time to since I was in a hurry to get all the rock in the water as fast as possible. That said it got scraped against the glass pretty hard, I'm really glad I didn't have acrylic in this build.

Deleted User 4

Yeah, like it wasn't deep or anything but it's there. I was being a little careless at the time to since I was in a hurry to get all the rock in the water as fast as possible. That said it got scraped against the glass pretty hard, I'm really glad I didn't have acrylic in this build.

Yeah, you think ada glass is less likely to get scratches compare to other glass tanks? Like the breeders,etc.

Yeah, you think ada glass is less likely to get scratches compare to other glass tanks? Like the breeders,etc.

I would hope. I got the low-iron version so it is a little bit more prone to scratching than the standard glass. I saw a thread somewhere that did a strength comparison/scratch resistance comparison and it found that low-iron (aka starfire) is slightly less scratch resistant versus standard glass. Still worth it in my opinion, just have to treat it with care.

I envy how clean this tank is..

Thanks, I have a lot of issues keeping the lilypipe clean but I've pretty much given up on that now. The output is still good, but the intake shattered when I tried cleaning it with a Q-tip and a small ball of sponge.

The only thing that I don't like about the new scape is it doesn't hide the cords or the clamp for the kessil at all. I love the new scape, but I'm going to find a way to hide those darn wires... :furious:

I'm considering drilling this as well in February, putting it on an actual stand, and adding a sump. I'm ordering an apex in a few weeks (Tax return :bling:) and I want to be able to control both the nano and 75 with it. Trying to get everything tried, tested, and on auto pilot before I leave in April. An suggestions would be appreciated as to what overflow to use. I was looking at the glassholes overflows, but I think I want to use a corner overflow on the right side, due to the spot that this will be moving to. I might just get black acrylic and bend it to make the shape I want, then cut the teeth into it. I think I'm going to build my sump as well, since most of the ones I've seen don't fit my liking or requirements space and equipment wise. I've been stalking melevsreeef.com a lot and looking at his sump designs which are very intricate. I saw a sump designed by cadlights that looks really slick, which definately makes me want to use a rimless tank for the sump to match the display. I'm still considering using a skimmer on the nano. I've seen a cost breakdown and it's not nearly as effective or cost efficient as just doing water changes, but I want to keep a backup in case my mother forgets to do a water change and just add another safe guard.

Also, I have stared culturing Phytoplankton a week ago and got my first split to feed my tank yesterday. I put enough phyto to turn the water in the nano a light green and it was cleared back up within about an hour, so something got a good meal. Same for the 75, but it only lasted about 2 hours because I turned the skimmer back on.

Ahhh I see. I better treat it with damn care lol.

I hate scratches.....

Same, I know I'll have to get an acrylic tank for the big build. But I wish I could avoid it due to the chances of scratching it while cleaning or even viewing it.

Deleted User 4

Same, I know I'll have to get an acrylic tank for the big build. But I wish I could avoid it due to the chances of scratching it while cleaning or even viewing it.

How big we talking about? lolol

How big we talking about? lolol

300ish. Yeah you can say addicted :lol: I'm going to have some spare change laying around after this "deployment." Reservists make bank when we get sent places. My current thoughts are that my mom wants my nano, my 75 can be turned into a frag tank and put in the garage (insulated), and the big tank will have the overflow on one of the ends so it can be used as an Island or room divider with the one end touching the wall. That way there is a view from 3 sides. I live in a 2 story house that has vaulted ceilings in the living room. I've been thinking about putting tile in, then with the high ceilings I could do a rimless tank and put the light way up high on a pulley system. That way the lights will be less obtrusive. I already know I'm goin to go with the Kessil A350's again just the normal not wide this time so that I get better penetration. So lots of planning. I'll have plenty of time to figure it all out since it will be around this time next year that it will be getting wet.

Deleted User 4

Wow, that is alot!!! Too big, way too big for me to handle haha. Good luck!!!

But anyways, I highly recommend you order a tank from Reefsavvy!!! Their rimless builds are insanely beautiful. Talk about the perfect alignment and craftsmanship.

Wow, that is alot!!! Too big, way too big for me to handle haha. Good luck!!!

But anyways, I highly recommend you order a tank from Reefsavvy!!! Their rimless builds are insanely beautiful. Talk about the perfect alignment and craftsmanship.

Thanks, I was looking around for a builder. I've looked at glass cages and a few others, but still not fully satisfied. Tying to find where the quality and price point meet.

Deleted User 4

Yeah, I looked at class cagesvnd it's like hmm... $100 for an extra 80 gallons. Why not? Then looked at shipping...

glass cages...I heard their services/tanks aren't so great. There was a thread talking about it recently on here. I think it was about 3-4 weeks ago.

glass cages...I heard their services/tanks aren't so great. There was a thread talking about it recently on here. I think it was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Yeah. That's why I wanted to avoid them. They are way cheaper but lacking in quality and service. After looking at reef savvy, I don't think I can even think about using someone else for the build. I'm just afraid to get the quote though, I can only imagine how much this will cost. At least they'll make the stand s well so I won't have to hunt down a carpenter. The 270 I was eyeing at my lfs would have needed to have a steel frame built or a rediculous wood frame with limited filtration space, sine it was a 180 foot print.

More pics this morning. Got a week off of college so I had some time today to learn a few new things with lightroom. Now I can limit the amount of blue that penetrates the photo. It's been really annoying how saturated my pictures have been even though my kessil is only running at 15k.

8331739797_14830d2edd_b.jpg
GOPR9675 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8332797972_2eedc3bcbe_b.jpg
GOPR9719 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8332797972_2eedc3bcbe_b.jpg
GOPR9719 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8331739995_bcee1baed5_b.jpg
GOPR9710 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr

8331740187_480e46b23b_b.jpg
GOPR9699 by ClaytonG-US, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Looking good as usual. Btw, what do you mean by lightroom? lol

Adobe lightroom. It's a polishing program. You use photoshop to edit things within the photo and to an extent modify the coloring. Lightroom is more user friendly and is used to fix small imperfections and dial in colors, exposure, and overall presentation. My GoPro is definitely not meant to be used for this type of work, but its doing an pretty good job so far. Just the blue is really over saturating when I look at them for post processing. Once I have a DSLR in a few weeks it wont be a problem anymore becuase I can set the exposure and white balance when I take the shots. Currently the camera adjusts it as it shoots, which is a problem because I can't get the same colors in every photo. So each photo requires separate editing to correct for the color saturation <_< Just annoying and time consuming but lightroom makes it much easier.

Deleted User 4

Ahh I see. I've never used adobe photoshop before hahah.

Are you good at making videos? I'm trying to learn how. Like this guy.

Ahh I see. I've never used adobe photoshop before hahah.

Are you good at making videos? I'm trying to learn how. Like this guy.

Truthfully there is a lot to it. Like you need to pretty much take a class or spend a lot of time on youtube watching guides to get the most use out of it. Like I was able to do a lot at first with it, but once I found out about all the short cuts, things just got easier and looked better.

I've wanted to try with videos but just not yet. Definitely will give it a shot once the new camera comes in. My greatest weakness with the GoPro is the inability to focus or zoom. What I prefer doing more than video is time lapses. I might try to get one this morning before the sun comes up actually.

Deleted User 4

Truthfully there is a lot to it. Like you need to pretty much take a class or spend a lot of time on youtube watching guides to get the most use out of it. Like I was able to do a lot at first with it, but once I found out about all the short cuts, things just got easier and looked better.

I've wanted to try with videos but just not yet. Definitely will give it a shot once the new camera comes in. My greatest weakness with the GoPro is the inability to focus or zoom. What I prefer doing more than video is time lapses. I might try to get one this morning before the sun comes up actually.

Ahhh I see. Hmmm is it possible to get good at videos without taking the class and just watching the youtube tutorials? Hmmm

Like by class, I mean the free ones adobe offers that are pretty much tutorials. It's just time consuming and you have to be able to remember stuff. I pretty much just learned what I needed to as I went. You don't have to use post-processing to take decent videos, but it just makes it more difficult. Using the post processing allows for human error and for color correction.

That video is definitely edited btw, the colors won't pop like that without some decent post processing and a really good camera.

Sick tank! Love it one day ill scrap the 60 frag tank and convert it over reef instead of thousan frags all over the place .

This one should have been a frag tank with the way it looked after black friday... who can really resist $5 SPS frags? I'm just glad I was able to move most of them over to the 75. The clutter was killing this tank. Even now its still a bit cluttered. Hopefully the clams will be happy again soon and will stick to the rocks again, there just isn't space for them on the sandbed.

Archived