Pod Your Reef

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

I really really love this tank! especially your mystery wrasse, I really want to keep one in my new 30 gallon.

Thank you!! :) and I do too, I love my mystery wrasse! You shlould definitely get one for your 30

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyphastrea will need more light if you want it to turn the baby blue that everyone likes so much (assuming it encrusted like that and hasn't recently been relocated). They do like moderate light, but that brown is evidence of too little.

Cyphastrea will need more light if you want it to turn the baby blue that everyone likes so much (assuming it encrusted like that and hasn't recently been relocated). They do like moderate light, but that brown is evidence of too little.

Thanks for the info, I haven't moved the cyphastrea since I placed it there so I guess it's time to frag it and put it up somewhere up higher haha, I'm actually running out of room though. Question: will it stung other corals? Or should I just worry about it getting stung?

Thanks for the info, I haven't moved the cyphastrea since I placed it there so I guess it's time to frag it and put it up somewhere up higher haha, I'm actually running out of room though. Question: will it stung other corals? Or should I just worry about it getting stung?

Never seen a sweeper from them so I wouldn't worry about it stinging anything, though when they are happy they do tend to grow fast.

Yeah, I'm worried about it getting stung, but oh well. My chalice is about to grow over my pink monti and there's really nothing i can do about it, i can't take the rock out to frag it so i have no idea what to do. Any ideas would be helpful!

Yeah, I'm worried about it getting stung, but oh well. My chalice is about to grow over my pink monti and there's really nothing i can do about it, i can't take the rock out to frag it so i have no idea what to do. Any ideas would be helpful!

My 2 cents is to let it happen. Figure out which one 'wins' and if that's a problem, frag what you can of the other and relocate it/sell it off (try a thin flathead screwdriver + hammer to chip the coral up). As our reefs mature, it's pretty common that it turns out to have been overstocked to compensate for all the open space when everything was a frag. Personally, I think tanks look better when they're a handful of more mature pieces than a scattering of tiny bits of everything. Embrace it, it means you're doing a good job of tending to your reef :)

My 2 cents is to let it happen. Figure out which one 'wins' and if that's a problem, frag what you can of the other and relocate it/sell it off (try a thin flathead screwdriver + hammer to chip the coral up). As our reefs mature, it's pretty common that it turns out to have been overstocked to compensate for all the open space when everything was a frag. Personally, I think tanks look better when they're a handful of more mature pieces than a scattering of tiny bits of everything. Embrace it, it means you're doing a good job of tending to your reef :)

Good advice :) I guess I wasn't in the mindset to just 'let it happen' but that's probably the best option. I actually didn't know chalices could grow so fast! (that's why i thought they were so pricey) I literally got it as a 3/4" square about 4 months ago, and it's just taking over. On the other hand, my tyree watermelon chalice is growing much slower. I guess it just depends on the coral :P

Good advice :) I guess I wasn't in the mindset to just 'let it happen' but that's probably the best option. I actually didn't know chalices could grow so fast! (that's why i thought they were so pricey) I literally got it as a 3/4" square about 4 months ago, and it's just taking over. On the other hand, my tyree watermelon chalice is growing much slower. I guess it just depends on the coral :P

It's funny - I certainly understand the inclination to tinker (and give in to it all the time myself!) but I swear, my column reef never looked nicer than when it was essentially left alone for a summer because I was too busy with everything else going on around me to reposition this or move that an inch or two.

Speaking of your chalice's growth, I did something similar with a handful of Tyree monti's back when they were a good bit more expensive - set them up in a little row pretty close to eachother (they're so pricey, they can't grow THAT fast, right?!) . Oh how wrong I was. I'll never complain about virulent growth, I just make a point not to put montis in my aquariums again ;)

It's funny - I certainly understand the inclination to tinker (and give in to it all the time myself!) but I swear, my column reef never looked nicer than when it was essentially left alone for a summer because I was too busy with everything else going on around me to reposition this or move that an inch or two.

Speaking of your chalice's growth, I did something similar with a handful of Tyree monti's back when they were a good bit more expensive - set them up in a little row pretty close to eachother (they're so pricey, they can't grow THAT fast, right?!) . Oh how wrong I was. I'll never complain about virulent growth, I just make a point not to put montis in my aquariums again ;)

I completely agree! When I went away for 3 weeks over the summer my corals grew like crazy! Needless to say I was terrified of my mom taking care of my tank for that long, but she pulled through haha. My monti is going crazy as well, I've already glued snail shells next to it so it grow over and I could frag it, that's why there's a shell glued to it between it and the mummy eye chalice :) if anybody ever wants a frag please let me know! As of now its growing like a weed.

I think I might have too many corals that will take over in the long run...chalices, zoanthids, cyphastrea, montis, I never really thought about this before..yikes!

First of all I love your duncan coral so much! (your torch is pretty chill too)

My other question is how long have you had the flowerpot and what kind of feeding do you give it and how has it been doing? It looks great! Ive always wanted to try but it can be hard to keep alive.

I realllllllly like this tank. Well done. I can't wait to see it grown out even more (:

Thanks! :D I'll be updating so follow along!

I was the one that suggested a tank thread, and I'm glad you made one!

I love that torch! Great work overall

Yes you were! Haha and thank you! My clowns love it too ;P

First of all I love your duncan coral so much! (your torch is pretty chill too)

My other question is how long have you had the flowerpot and what kind of feeding do you give it and how has it been doing? It looks great! Ive always wanted to try but it can be hard to keep alive.

Thanks :) My boyfriend gave me those like 9 months ago, they were both only one little head, they've grown so much! And about the flowerpot, honestly I don't spot feed it or anything like that, I think I only tried doing that once with some diluted Oyster Feast and it seemed to respond, but spot-feeding things in my skimmerless, refugium-less tank is kind of risky! So I pretty much leave it be. I've heard they don't live really past the 1 year mark and this one is going on 6 months so we'll see how it goes! I've heard the red gonioporas are easier to keep than the white/green ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! So I've waited a week past Reefapalooza to let the corals kinda settle in before taking some pics. It was really fun and if you ever get a chance to go to it next year, make sure you do! There were great prices on everything, especially on Sunday right before it closed :) I managed not to spend too much money and still get some cool stuff, so that's always good ;)

Ok here's some pics of what I got:

Iron Man mushroom ($10) and some zoanthids with yellow markings in the center, you can see them behind the mushroom on the plug ($20).

IMG_4999_zps41553215.jpg

These zoanthids were $5 from Reef Raft, I can't take them off the plug though! :( I don't really like the look of a lot of plugs in a tank, but what can you do :P

IMG_5001_zps0ea7b455.jpg

Some candy apple red palys that my boyfriend got for me (it was like a buy 3 and get one free thing).

IMG_5003_zps28fccc94.jpg

Some orange Leptoseris that I really liked! ($5)

IMG_5004_zps8d7ffd22.jpg

The dendro that I got from Cherry Corals (nice guys) ($20)

IMG_5005_zps172d95ad.jpg

A prism favia (or dragon soul? can't tell the difference) i got for $10

IMG_5006_zps5ce95200.jpg

And some Captain America Death Palys from a local reef club's booth ($10) :)

IMG_5029_zps576c4e8c.jpg

Also here's a couple pics of my tank to see how things look a couple weeks later (since i last updated), I'm havng some problems with my Tyree Watermelon Chalice, I looked at it one day and it looked dull and some skeleton was showing in the corner! I haven't changed anything, just been dosing as usual so i really have no clue why this is happening...any suggestions please let me know!! :(

IMG_5030_zps7af3a5f6.jpg

IMG_5031_zps05aaf465.jpg

The mystery wrasse's reflection in this pic cracks me up.

IMG_5033_zpsf07d5cd1.jpg

The montipora and chalice are almost touching now! :o

See the watermelon chalice? It looks dull and not happy..i don't know why, it's upsetting. lol.

IMG_5034_zps4d89c0ad.jpg

IMG_5035_zps301b849f.jpg

IMG_5036_zps2146f799.jpg

IMG_5037_zps1e687a52.jpg

Hey guys! So I've waited a week past Reefapalooza to let the corals kinda settle in before taking some pics. It was really fun and if you ever get a chance to go to it next year, make sure you do! There were great prices on everything, especially on Sunday right before it closed :) I managed not to spend too much money and still get some cool stuff, so that's always good ;)

Excellent stuff. Everything looks so pretty. You might want to post a question on the Ask Albert Thiel topic about your chalice. There are some real SW gurus that contribute on that thread. :)This is the link to albertthiel topic thread which has helped me a bunch.

Love those new yellow zoas and the candy apple red palys!!!! the CAR are on my to-get list :)

I never made it to reefapalooza. Maybe next year!!!!

Thank you guys! Unfortunately my dendro doesn't look so good right now, some of the skin is receding up on the stalk and the tentacles aren't fully extended, is this something i should freak out about right now? Or feed it every day/every other day and wait it out??

Thank you guys! Unfortunately my dendro doesn't look so good right now, some of the skin is receding up on the stalk and the tentacles aren't fully extended, is this something i should freak out about right now? Or feed it every day/every other day and wait it out??

Hmm how much are you feeding it and how much flow is it experiencing? They eat like pigs and can withstand a good bit of current. My advice would be to feed it a ton and let it heal over time.

Hmm how much are you feeding it and how much flow is it experiencing? They eat like pigs and can withstand a good bit of current. My advice would be to feed it a ton and let it heal over time.

I think something that might have severely irritated it was when I fed it a big meaty mysis shrimp and my mystery wrasse came and ripped it right from the tentacles, ever since then the tentacles on one side look shorter like they ripped or something, and I know how sticky they are so I'm sure that did some damage. Stupid fish :( I really hope it heals. And it's flow is very moderate nothing that would cause any problems

Archived