Coral Vue Hydros

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to go back through some of these posts......I have a JBJ 28 G LED intermediate tank as well. 15 mos in. Still finding out what I can/can't have in my tank as far as corals are concerned. Montipora seems to be on the border line. I have one and the green colors have all but vanished - it's more of a yellow beige now but it appears to be growing. I did just move it up to a higher placement in the tank though so we'll see.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Updates!

In may I decided I was tired of looking at all the blue waving hand polyps and brown clove polyps that were continuing to take over my tank. I tore everything down and got store credit at my LFS ($1200) and decided to do a clownfish and anemone tank. I took the original LED hood off my nanocube and replaced it with a Kessil a150w Ocean Blue. I have one frostbite clownfish and one SA premium white clown, along with some nice rose bubble tip and green bubble tip anemones. I kept some of my Rasta zoas and am starting a new colony, and I have a medium sized derasa clam. I'll try to get some pics up but the kessil is so blue my camera can't pick it up.

Sucks that you had to break it down but $1200 LFS in store credit? Dang, which LFS did you go to?
Thanks for the update. Sorry you took it down but can;t wait to see some new pics.
but. but... you sold the gold torch? :tears:

regardless, can't wait to see some pics!

I know I was sad to see my gold torch go! Along with my acans :( but I went to Vivid Aquariums. They're like 10 min away from me and the owner Dave is really cool. I'll try to get some pics up today but I'm warning you they don't look the same as real life! Stupid iphone camera. It's just soooo blue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Here are some much needed update pictures! Because of my 15k Kessil, my iPhone has a lot of trouble picking up any colors besides the blue, so I just used an app on my phone to turn up the temperature of the pics so they appear less blue. The specs of my tank are mostly the same as before i re-did the whole thing. Still no protein skimmer, in the back center chamber i have (from top to bottom) a glob of filter floss i change out 2x a week, a bag of PhosGuard, bag of SeaChem carbon, and a sponge. Pretty simple filtration. I had my boyfriend test my water with his Salifert test kits and i have around 4 nitrates, 420 calcium, 7.7 alk, and his phosphate meter read 0 for phosphates, although i find that hard to believe. I guess it's also time to change the picture at the bottom of my posts!

Anyways, any questions or comments are appreciated.

Enjoy! :)

2renoyr.jpg

2vil4sk.jpg

2rvxys3.jpg

Looks sexy, but I miss the hell out of that gorgeous torch!

Oh trust me, me too. Don't remind me! :'( My clownfish are also taking forever to host the anemones. If they end up hosting my rock of GSP, i'll lose it. Haha

That's pretty crazy. Did you buy one anemone and did it just split multiple times?

Naw, i bought a lot of them with my store credit at Vivid. There's also another LFS in the area that has nice rose bubbles for $40. Two of them are my boyfriend's. I'm holding them for him while he gets his tank fully cycled after moving it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm glad I found this thread. My LED intermediate just came in yesterday and can't wait to get it set up. My 24 gallon JBJ has seen better days. I plan on moving what I have over later today.

Will a toadstool work in the intermediate lights? What about any anemones?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Love the new setup! Your old tank was absolutely gorgeous so I am sure this one will be too, it's already off to an amazing start!

Thanks!! I've been really busy with school lately so I haven't been adding too much to my tank. One more year and I'm all done with nursing school. :) also, my kessil is just too blue to take pictures with. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take pictures of super blue reef tanks?

Also, I forgot to mention, about a month or so after I redid my tank and it was staring to look really good with my new fish and anemones, I came home after being gone for a day and ALL of my fish were dead and the anemones shriveled up and some were floating around on the sand. I was devastated of course but at a complete loss of what had happened. In my 4 years of having a reef tank I've never had a crash, and I had done nothing differently prior to this. Well, it turns out after pulling all the dead fish out and saving the anemones by putting them in my boyfriends tank, my sea cucumber was missing. After reading a little about sea cucumbers, I learned the toxins they release when they die are only deadly to vertebrates, hence why all my fish died but I didn't lose one single snail, hermit, or anemone, even though they all looked pissed. Anyways, I got things clean and my tank back to normal within a couple weeks, but ill never ever own another sea cucumber again!! I had one for 2 years and it was fine, and the new one I got died within a month.

As for fish right now I have:

1 female black and white misbar clownfish

1 male frostbite clownfish

1 pseudochromis (no idea what species)

1 royal gramma

1 talbot damsel

Inverts/coral:

10 bubble tip anemones (pink and 2 green with purple tips)

Some different zoas (candy apple pinks, orange bam bams, some light blue ones, and purple hornets)

Mystic sunset montipora and rainbow montipora

Medium size (and growing quickly) derasa clam

Green star polyps, on island rocks and on the back wall, which isn't touching any other rock so they can't migrate to my main rocks from there

Trochus snails

Porcelain crab

Hermits

Again I wish I could get a picture that does my tank justice, but every picture is sooo overly blue!

I'll upload some pics later because the ones on my iPhone are way over the 1 MB limit for uploads :)

• 10 months later...

Thanks for your post from 2012. My wife and I are considering purchasing a Nano 28g Nano Cube LED Intermediate series like yours and in doing some research we found your post and had a few questions. If you are still enjoying your tank and wouldn't mind sharing, my questions are:

1) Are you still happy with the Nano Cube decision?

2) I really appreciate your outline of the accessories/options you are using on your tank vs. just the stock features. Would you be willing to outline how you set it up in some specific detail for me as I want to try to recreate your success vs. learning some expensive mistakes?

3) Do you use a "heater" in the tank and if so, which one?

4) Is a chiller truly required as I thought the new 28g tanks use lower level lighting that produces less heat and negates the need for a chiller?

5) If you were starting from scratch, which sand, salt mixtures would you use, and what steps (and length of time) would you go through to stabilize the tank before introducing live species?

I probably have 50 other questions so any information you could provide for a beginner would be appreciated! I will spare you the other 45 questions :)

Thanks again for your wonderful detail and thanks in advance if you are willing and able to respond with these answers!

Vince (Indy)

Archived