Photo

Oceanic or Coralife Biocube - how to tell the difference?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Mushroom Boy

Mushroom Boy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2004
  • Seattle

I'm looking at upgrading the lighting in my BC29 and there's some question as to whether it's a Coralife or an Oceanic. This is probably a really stupid question, but I couldn't find anything using the search function, so here goes. How do you tell which one it is?

Thanks!

yman182

yman182

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 22 Aug 2012
  • Evanston, IL
If it is a oceanic biocube it will have a black back, the coralife biocube has a window in chamber two for the refugium. The oceanic version also only has 2 buttons on the canopy. The Coralife has 4.

Hope this helps.

aquarium2902.png

Mushroom Boy

Mushroom Boy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2004
  • Seattle
Hey, thanks for the info. So, not to confuse matters, but mine does have the window for the refugium in the back (which makes me think it's a Coralife), BUT it only has 2 buttons on the canopy, which makes it sound like an Oceanic. Was there a time when the production was different?

yman182

yman182

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 22 Aug 2012
  • Evanston, IL
It sounds like you have an oceanic, but like the OP said you will be modifying a lot. I know I have.

Edited by yman182, 04 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

aquarium2902.png

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

What exactly does a Puget sound like, anyways?

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Joined 16 May 2012
I have an Oceanic 29 HQI, and it has the window in the back.

My back chamber cover has the name molded right into the plastic, too, so I always get surprised by this question...

lol

gonzalez78

gonzalez78

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Joined 15 Dec 2010
  • Santa Rosa California
I also have an oceanic with the back window and 2 buttons not to mention it says oceanic on the hood :)
Wine Country Reefers
My 40B build

Mushroom Boy

Mushroom Boy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2004
  • Seattle
Well, there you have it. Sometimes it's sitting right under your nose - for a long, long time - and you don't even notice it... :blush: :D

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

What exactly does a Puget sound like, anyways?

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Joined 16 May 2012
Does it say right on your tank somewhere?

Which do you have?

StevieT

StevieT

☼ StevieTree ☼

• Premium Members
  • 29,606 posts
  • Joined 29 Jan 2007
  • Menomonee Falls, WI
post a picture and I can tell you right away.

If you have the stock hood, and there are expansion slots for LED, you have a coralife. You can see them through the splash lens.
In the filtration area, chamber one wall into chamber two. If the wall has a straight spill over, you have a coralife. If it has a tab, then an Oceanic. If the filtration lays flat in chamber two, you have a coralife. If it stands up in chamber one, you have an Oceanic. If you have 4 switches on the hood, you have a coralife. If you have 2 then you have an oceanic.

Does it say right on your tank somewhere?

Which do you have?

Most likely on the back left upper corner is a tag.

Mushroom Boy

Mushroom Boy

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2004
  • Seattle
It's an Oceanic. It's stated right on top of the front opening on the lid. Just never noticed it before. :)