Top Shelf Aquatics

Oceanic or Coralife Biocube - how to tell the difference?

Mushroom Boy

Mushroom Boy

I'm looking at upgrading the lighting in my BC29 and there's some question as to whether it's a Coralife or an Oceanic. This is probably a really stupid question, but I couldn't find anything using the search function, so here goes. How do you tell which one it is?

Thanks!

If it is a oceanic biocube it will have a black back, the coralife biocube has a window in chamber two for the refugium. The oceanic version also only has 2 buttons on the canopy. The Coralife has 4.

Hope this helps.

Mushroom Boy

Hey, thanks for the info. So, not to confuse matters, but mine does have the window for the refugium in the back (which makes me think it's a Coralife), BUT it only has 2 buttons on the canopy, which makes it sound like an Oceanic. Was there a time when the production was different?

Rollermonkey

I have an Oceanic 29 HQI, and it has the window in the back.

My back chamber cover has the name molded right into the plastic, too, so I always get surprised by this question...

lol

post a picture and I can tell you right away.

If you have the stock hood, and there are expansion slots for LED, you have a coralife. You can see them through the splash lens.

In the filtration area, chamber one wall into chamber two. If the wall has a straight spill over, you have a coralife. If it has a tab, then an Oceanic. If the filtration lays flat in chamber two, you have a coralife. If it stands up in chamber one, you have an Oceanic. If you have 4 switches on the hood, you have a coralife. If you have 2 then you have an oceanic.

Does it say right on your tank somewhere?

Which do you have?

Most likely on the back left upper corner is a tag.

• 6 years later...
Sedonarose

I have a stupid question. I was given the biocube 29. The lid is not attached, it just lays on top. It does say Oceanic. I would like to buy the new LED lid. It states it will not work with the Oceanic version. Does anyone know if it will work if I just continue to lay it on the tank?

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2019 at 7:19 AM, Sedonarose said:

I have a stupid question. I was given the biocube 29. The lid is not attached, it just lays on top. It does say Oceanic. I would like to buy the new LED lid. It states it will not work with the Oceanic version. Does anyone know if it will work if I just continue to lay it on the tank?

It will work since it is independent.  It does not mate exactly with the top of the aquarium so you will have a 1/4" lift on one side.