Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

d'Espresso *Versions 2.0*

d'Espresso

Islands of Paradise

Greeting Everyone!

keeping a very clean, modern looking, and up-to-dated automated system is what i am all about. This can be seen clearly in my previous tank setup. Likewise, I planned on keeping the same philosophy with this tank. Here is a link with pictures and details about my previous system if anyone is interested on how i all come together.

Original Tank Build http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298660

October 2012

536427_10100212077751709_389913749_n.jpg

The Technical Specifications

The 40 gallon (Breeder) reef is running with the following devices:

• Aquarium Display: Aqueon measure at 36.2" x 18.3" x 17" with custom White Trim

Stand: St. Paul Arkansas Vanity Cabinet (re-modified)
    * Dimensions: 36 in. W x 18.5 in. D x 32.125 in. H
    * Care and Cleaning: Wipe Clean With a Damp Cloth
    * Custom work: added 2 x 4 woods for extra stand support the tank weight

Lighting: 36" 6x39W Tek Light Elite T5 High-Output Fixture Graphite
    Bulbs choices: 6 * 39 Watt Ati T5 Bulbs (Ati Blue Plus / Ati Blue Plus / Ati Coral Plus /
    Ati Purple Plus / Ati Coral Plus / Ati Blue Plus)
    LED Spotlight: 2 * (12 Watt) Ledtric MoonPop

Main Controller: Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite with Temperature and pH probe
    Filtration: Aqueon Modular ProFlex Sump Filtration Model 1 with Filter Sock, Nano-Glo LEDs, Purigen, Chaeto, and Chemi-pure Elite
    Circulation: Vortech MP10w ES (Reef Crest Mode @ 60%), Vortech MP10es (Reef Crest Mode @75%)
    Power Backup: Vortech 72 hour Battery Back Up
    Skimmer: SC-56 modded (10 – 75gal.)
    Overflow: (diy) Japanese Style Mame replica overflow out of PVC

Dosing Pump: Bubble-Magus BM-TO1 microcomputer three-channel titration Pump
    Top Off: Autotopoff.com with Dual unit
    Reservior: 2.5 gallon water container jug
    Heater: 100 watt 100watt Ebo-Jager
    Others: American DJ PC-100A 8 Channel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Water Parameters and Circulations

Water circulation is very important issue that is inside the aquarium when having mixed reef and keeping the sand bed clean. I am using two Vortech MP10w’s, mostly running on the reef crest mode because I like the different flow that the pumps are pushing out throughout of the day and night. To keep the tank clean, I use a Mag-float everyday on the glass, along with a toothbrush to get the hard to reach corners, and a Kent Pro-scraper once a week on all reachable interior surfaces and bottom sand bed. Calcium and alkalinity levels are maintained almost daily with a 2-part additive. Magnesium is added when needed.

IMG_2545.jpg

• •Salinity: 1.026
    • Temp: 79.2°-80°
    • pH: 8.0
    • Calcium: 440 460 ppm
    • Alkalinity: 7 dKh
    • Magnesium: 1600 ppm

Maintenance Routine

• Daily feed the fish 1 or 3 times per day at different time using frozen brine shrimp, spectrum flakes + pellets, and frozen Mysis
  • Twice weekly I feed Oyster Feast, PhytoFeast, and Trace Element.
  • The night before a water change I would make a batch of frozen Mysis, trace elements, brine shrimps, and cyclopeeze. I then turn off all my pumps to stop the flow from pushing the food away and I would carefully feed each individual to the RBTA, acans, and scolys.
  • I am very religious in performing routine water changes. I think a 10% water change every 2 weeks has been critical to the success of my tank.
  • Fill the automatic top off reservoir with distilled water, and change my filter sock each month.
  • Purigen and Chemipure Elite are utilized for water polishing and removing chemicals including those released by the corals. New Purigen and Chemipure Elite are exchanged at least once a month.
  • Biweekly I clean the skimmer, pumps, and overflow. As needed I scrape the overflow clean off coralline builds up. I also remove the Vortech wetsides and return nozzles and soak them in vinegar to kill the coralline every 2 months.
  • Other tasks include stirring up the shallow sand bed with an acrylic rod, basting the live rock, cutting back macro algae, cleaning the glass corner with a toothbrush, cleaning and inspecting powerheads and filters.
  • Visually inspect the corals daily and make adjustments for maximum growth and color if necessary.

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Inhabitants

My tank is filled with about 13 fish. I like to keep many of the same species so that they will swim in a group, such as my Apogons. My tank includes:

• Fish
    • Apogon leptacanthus (Blue Streak Cardinal) x5
    • Genicanthus bellus (Bellus Angelfish) x1
    • Chrysiptera cyanea (Orange Tail Damselfish) x1
    • Amphiprion ocellaris (Ora Midnight Clownfish) x1
    • Amphiprion ocellaris (Ora Domino Clownfish) x1
    • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (Maldives Lyretail Anthias) x1 male
    • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (Maldives Lyretail Anthias) x1 female
    • Amblyeleotris randalli (Orange Stripe Prawn Goby) x1
    • Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse) x1

Corals
    • Echinophyllia sp. (chalice)
    • Acanthophyllia deshayesiana (meat coral)
    • Favites bestae (Neon green favia)
    • Scolymia sp. (Neon Green scoly)
    • Acropora sps.
    • Montipora sps.
    • Acanthastrea echinata
    • Sarcophyton (Neon green toadstool)
    • Nephthea sp. (Neon green tree)
    • Entacmaea quadricolor (rose bubble-tip anemone)
    • Various other small and Zoanthids and Palyothoas

Inverts
    • Thor amboinensis (Sexy Anemone Shrimp) x1
    • Lysmata amboinensis (Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp) x1
    • Petrolisthes galathinus (Porcelain Crab) x1
    • Mithraculus sculptus (Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab) x5
    • Clibanarius tricolor (Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit) x12
    • Acanthopleura granulata (Fuzzy Chiton) x1
    • Mespilia globulus (Blue Tuxedo Urchin) x1

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

Aquascape

Besides the contents inside the aquarium, this tank is designed for minimalistic with a very diverse group of corals, inverts, and fish. I am always moving my scape and pruning my corals to make them happy. Aquascape has a direct influence on water circulation and should be tested when first setting up the aquarium. The rock is consist of about 25.lbs of Florida macro rocks carefully placement them together by the uses of zip-ties, gel glue, rods, and reef safe putty. I got inspired from the bonsai tree element. It gives the viewer an impression of unique style with an overhang while providing lots of space for placing SPS, LPS, and Softies corals. It also gives the fish and the inverts a lot of nooks to hide and swim through. So with the Aquascape, there should be open space to promote good coral placement, growth and flow.

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

Goals

I have decided that this tank will be my journey progress of the new reef garden system that I will be building and achieve those expectation goals on keeping a simple reef. My tank is about 7 month young and still maturing. I will let everything grow out and try not to add any more corals and fish. However I am very fascinated about keeping SPS and Zoas/ Palys, so my goals are to have a mainly dominated mixed reef with some of my favorite fish. Those are the elements that I have followed in my past experience.

IMG_2563.jpg

Transfer/ Established April 2012.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He must have! I think he was taking pics with an iphone before. Let me tell you, the iphone does not have that big of an aperture to get that depth of field...

Deleted User 4
He must have! I think he was taking pics with an iphone before. Let me tell you, the iphone does not have that big of an aperture to get that depth of field...

I agree haha!

jedimasterben

Dayum man. Looking great.

One thing has to change though:

• Daily feed fish 1 or 2 times per day using Spectrum flakes and pellets + frozen Mysis

• • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (Maldives Lyretail Anthias) x1 male
    • Pseudanthias squamipinnis (Maldives Lyretail Anthias) x1 female

Anthias cannot be fed once a day. You need to be feeding them at least three times daily, with 4-5 times being optimal. Anthias are not like most fish and are not easy to take care of because of it.

Oh, and your avatar is amazing. /thread

B)

Dayum man. Looking great.

One thing has to change though:

Anthias cannot be fed once a day. You need to be feeding them at least three times daily, with 4-5 times being optimal. Anthias are not like most fish and are not easy to take care of because of it.

Oh, and your avatar is amazing. /thread

B)

Glad that everyone is liking the new look. Same scape but with a clear background and cleaner look! Thank to each and everyone of you for the awesome comment and feedback.

Jedi- Thanks mang for the advices, i will feed them a little more. i had revised/change it and edit.

jedimasterben
Jedi- Thanks mang for the advices, i will feed them a little more. i had revised/change it and edit.

Good deal. I've seen a lot of people get anthias lately and not know about their eating habits. Mine love to eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and golden pearls the most. :)

Holy crap David!!!! Round two is more incredible than the first time!!!! Aren't you glad that your tank broke!!! LOL. I am! :)

Looks awesome Dave! One hell of an update. I'm totally impressed. That nem you were so worried about looks awesome. Told ya, you'd be ok with it! :)

Did u get a new camera? Lol

Very nice shots, I am very much a fan of your work.

:D

How you like the dual mp10s? I got a "peak" in the middle of my scape that blocks flow, I was thinking of either getting another mp10 or just upgrading to a 40.

Well done! No need to tell you how incredible your scaping and stocking skills are so I'm going to point out how jealous I am of your stand organization skills!

Archived