Top Shelf Aquatics

For those with rimless tanks

JMurphy97

• 4 months later...
HarryPotter

Can someone tell me who makes custom acrylic lids? I have an JBJ 28g nano(bow front), I will need one custom made.

Why acrylic?

That'll warp, and look terrible with evaporation after less than 12 hours.

The better way to go is with the BRS Mesh lid kit

elusianzxelo

Thought might look better. I don't mind to go with MRS Mesh lid kit, but my problem is that my nano has a bow front, that is why I was hoping that there is places I can order one pre-made.

• 7 months later...

You can buy a screen making kit at Home Depot, Menards, etc. You can also get some nylon 1/4" bird netting from your local nursery. You then use the screen kit rails and bend them or segment them so they mold somewhat around your bow front. You also do 90* angles for your equipment if any. It doesn't look too bad and it will keep fish in for sure while still allowing good gas exchange.

This is what I did on all my rimless tanks. It kept the bloody Wrasse in the tank while still letting me keep the "rimless" look I wanted.

What I did on my rimless tank was just build the screen small enough to fit within the tank and siliconed some small tabs to keep it from falling it. It's a nice fit (no room for jumpers on the sides) and it is completely recessed so it doesn't take away from the clean lines of the tank.

I probably won't ever replace my eggcrate frame, it works too well. I don't even notice it anymore, and it saves my crazy chalk bass all the time.
I don't think I could make a screen kit go around and over my overflow like it does. I use the rimless cover clips off Ebay and it sits even with the edge of the tank.
MquXQjdl.png
aK5Ow93l.png

I used to leave it rimless and took my chances, lost Wheeler Eye Goby, Royal Garamma, and 2 clown fish over 4 year period. I finally said enough and made a screen top for the tank,

zPptFqO.jpg

I0i5BAY.jpg?1

Archived