Cultivated Reef

Miniature Zoas garden.

shrimpo

Starting my reef tank on a budget.

Tank:

7''x5''x5'' display box (about 0.75 gallon)

Stand:

Another display box (for now).

Filtration:

The bottom box will include : Elite mini powerhead, heater and Chaeto algae.

Lighting:

10 watt screw in CF 50/50 (daylight/actinic)

I will edit this post as the tank go in progress as I am doing few changes to this set-up.

post-55730-1347774159_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347774190_thumb.jpg

Did you buy or make the Displays/Stand?

Subbed ;)

I bought these acrylic display boxes, the display box is sitting on the top of the other box that will be used as sump and stand at the same time.

lol good luck

I hear you :D , I hope I am going to spend miniature budget on this one.

really hope this works :) love zoa gardens, would look awesome in this tank :) goodluck

I hope so to.

Nice! Are you doing anything else besides zoas? Or just a 100% zoas reef?

For corals I am thinking to do 90% Zoas and rest maybe Green star polyps, Blue clove.

For live stock, since there is not much room I will just keep small/tiny benificial creatures like amphipods, and brittle star...

I am open to suggestions.

I bought these acrylic display boxes, the display box is sitting on the top of the other box that will be used as sump and stand at the same time.

Where did you purchase them?

And so the stand is actually another aquarium?

How do you plan to plumb them together?

Where did you purchase them?

And so the stand is actually another aquarium?

How do you plan to plumb them together?

I got them from Ebay, yes the stand is another aquarium that I just covered with black sheet of cardboard, remember this going to be on a budget for now untill I make a real wooden miniature stand.

For the plumbing I changed my mind so the bottom aquarium is not going to do anything else beside holding the display tank. I got another container on the back that will hide all the equipments, I drilled only one hole at the left corner of the display tank that will act as an inlet and outlet at the same time, the mini elite powerhead is working great and is adjustable if I need to.

post-55730-1347814801_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347814813_thumb.jpg

I will get a Gu24 to E27 adapter so I can use the 10watt daylight 50/50 bulb.

I turned the original light on ( GU24, 23watt, 4100K) just to take couple pictures with tank empty. depends on how much heat the light will be with 10watt bulb I may have to raise the fixture higher.

The pictures with the other black light fixture shows the tank under the 10 watt bulb.

post-55730-1347824990_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347825003_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347826034_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347826047_thumb.jpg

post-55730-1347826058_thumb.jpg

I got them from Ebay, yes the stand is another aquarium that I just covered with black sheet of cardboard, remember this going to be on a budget for now untill I make a real wooden miniature stand.

For the plumbing I changed my mind so the bottom aquarium is not going to do anything else beside holding the display tank. I got another container on the back that will hide all the equipments, I drilled only one hole at the left corner of the display tank that will act as a inlet and outlet at the same time, the mini elite powerhead is working great and is adjustable if I need to.

This tank is very cool.

I'm excited to see how it progresses :happy:

This tank is very cool.

I'm excited to see how it progresses :happy:

So do I, Thanks.

Right now I am shopping for Zoas and corals, I removed the rock on the left side and replaced it with smaller ones to gain more space and water volume, the tank looks better now, will add pictures later when I have chance.

Archived