Coral Vue Hydros

Fungia VS Huge Worm! Beauty ~N~ the BEAST

Zia

I haven't seen any Bristle worms or any other kind of worms in this tank before. No less a 7inch + worm!

So i was shocked to wake up and see my Fungia having him for breakfast.

Makes me wonder what else is in the tank that i haven't seen. :o

So here's the question? He has been working on eating this worm all day, 6 hours already and has only eaten half of it. At what point, is it to much for the Plate and should i pull the worm out or??

My other question is in previous tanks ive had bristle worms alot more orange in color. But this thing is not orange at all and seems to have a different body structure all together. What type of worm is it?

P1180110.jpg

P1180132.jpg

Sorry for the point and shoot camera/video quality:

Click on image below to view Video! Plus a gratuitous shot of my Doni's Picasso's at the end,lol

th_P1180191.jpg

Ha! That's great. It does look a little different than a bristleworm. I wouldn't pull it out due to the fact that it may break and cause smaller worms to form. Just my two cents though :P

What is it? I haven't seen any Bristle worms or any other kind of worms in my tank before. No less a 7inch + worm!

So i was shocked to wake up and see my Fungia having him for breakfast.

Makes me wonder what else is in the tank that i haven't seen.

So here's the question? He has been working on eating the worm all day, 6 hours already and has only eaten half of it. At what point is it to much for the Plate and should i pull the worm out or??

My other question is in previous tanks ive had bristle worms alot more orange in color. But this thing is not orange at all and seems to have a different body structure all together. What type of worm was it?

Here is a link to someone who had a large black worm like you have ..

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f224/b...murderer-62864/

Scroll down a bit and you'll see pictures.

Is that what you have/had?

Here is a link to someone who had a large black worm like you have ..

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f224/b...murderer-62864/

Scroll down a bit and you'll see pictures.

Is that what you have/had?

It looks similar but its not all black like that one. The legs are more white? Its about 80% eaten now.

Now you can see the end of this worm better. Now its even more unidentifiable because it doesn't look like either end of any worm ive seen?

P1180144.jpg

It looks similar but its not all black like that one. The legs are more white?

That's the only one I could find that looked like what you have

Post a picture to the ID forum and maybe someone there can help

I looked for black ones and black and another color but could only find black and red and those were ID'ed as some kind of Bristle worms but no exact ID given

That's the only one I could find that looked like what you have

Post a picture to the ID forum and maybe someone there can help

I looked for black ones and black and another color but could only find black and red and those were ID'ed as some kind of Bristle worms but no exact ID given

Huh, it could be that one or similar?

Thanks for checking that out for me!

My bigger concern, was it to much for the plate to eat and digest and would it hurt the Fungia.

But its pretty much all the way eaten and only a small portion sticking out. Ive fed my Plates some decent size pieces of Krill before so im sure ts fine digesting this monster worm, will see.

Huh, it could be that one or similar?

Thanks for checking that out for me!

My bigger concern, was it to much for the plate to eat and digest and would it hurt the Fungia.

But its pretty much all the way eaten and only a small portion sticking out. Ive fed my Plates some decent size pieces of Krill before so im sure ts fine digesting this monster worm, will see.

Yes it will probably not need any food for a few days for sure unless it expels a lot of the worm later on so you may want to watch that.

I wonder how it actually got that worm .. obviously the worm got close and the Fungia stung it but that must have been a few real powerful stings to kill a worm like that and that large !

I look at this and one of the only things I can think of is a line from a song:

"Nature's so b!tchin'!"

(Dick's Automotive by The Rugburns)

You are so right. Natures truly amazing like that!

It reminds me of Beauty and the Beast!

I think my Green Plate was a little jealous. So i fed him a piece of Krill.

P1180178.jpg

I shot a quick Video of the plates munching down.

Sorry for the crappy quality, just down n dirty point and shoot camera/vid

Click on image below to view

Opps, here's the Video Link.

Click on image below to view:

th_P1180191.jpg

Great video ... thanks and as I said that one that gobled up that large worm (ID still not found but I'll keep looking of you give me a good description of it : black body but you say there were other colors to it.

Maybe with the additional info, I can find an ID for it although that is a worm that I had never seen before and even though I thought that the one in the link I posted was the same one, you say it is not, so whatever addl info you can give me may help in ID'ing the "monster black thing". Thanks

Great video ... thanks and as I said that one that gobled up that large worm (ID still not found but I'll keep looking of you give me a good description of it : black body but you say there were other colors to it.

Maybe with the additional info, I can find an ID for it although that is a worm that I had never seen before and even though I thought that the one in the link I posted was the same one, you say it is not, so whatever addl info you can give me may help in ID'ing the "monster black thing". Thanks

Its completely eaten and i only clearly seen the white legs and deep purple body. I couldent see the end clearly enough to give you a better decription. What ever type worm it was, the whole seen was pretty gnarly to watch.

Thanks for your help :)

Its completely eaten and i only clearly seen the white legs and deep purple body. I couldent see the end clearly enough to give you a better decription. What ever type worm it was, the whole seen was pretty gnarly to watch.

Thanks for your help :)

I will hopefully have an ID for it as I asked a contact of mine to identify it and I think we'll get one in the next few days ...

Archived