Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jgpico's 30 gal nuvo. New fts pg. 48

jgpico

This is going to be a thread for my 30 gallon nuvo. I will update as often as possible to keep everyone posted on the progress of the tank as well as to keep a tank journal for myself to look back on. I would like to thank everyone that has offered help to me in the past on my 3 gallon. without you guys I would have never had the confidence to set up this tank. I am working on my picture skills so the pics might suck now but hopefully they will gradually get better. I am really hoping to have a lot of sps in this tank, I have very little to no experience with sps so this is going to be a challenge for me and all help is very much appreciated. I am going to keep this first post dedicated to keeping an up to date fts as well as an equipment list and livestock list. I plan to be very picky as far as livestock goes so it might be a slow process to get this tank stocked.

-Current fts-

null_zps831b2e86.jpg

Equipment.

• Innovative Marine 30 gallon nuvo
  • AI sol white (for now)
  • MP10 wes
  • Avast Marine ato
  • Kessil A350W with gooseneck
  • IM Skimmate skimmer
  • Reef Keeper Lite.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think, should I purchase the matching stand for the tank or should I build my own? My buddy got the same tank a couple weeks ago and he had to reinforce the stand. Just looking for your thoughts and possibly ideas as well.

DIY is always cool. And if you do it you have bragging rights. And your equip. so far looks great!

I was thinking diy wouldnt be a bad idea at since I could make it with enough room for all of my stuff. I plan on having at least a 5 gallon ato reservoir plus all the other stuff. I am hoping to get a battery backup as well.

I just googled the tank and wow...sharp looking!!!!!! The stand it comes with looks nice. Did your friend have to bolt it to the wall or something? I always think those look like they could easily flip over...I'm sure they can't though, unless it's on carpet. If you are handy with DIY...I say make your own stand!!!! That way it's exactly the way you want it ;)

Super equipment you have for this tank too!!!!! You could hang the AI from the ceiling. Hopefully those with this light can chime in with helpful ideas :)

Following :happydance:

Good thinking moving it to "members" forum. It gets way more traffic that way. I always forget to check out the awesome tanks in the AIO forum.

I just googled the tank and wow...sharp looking!!!!!! The stand it comes with looks nice. Did your friend have to bolt it to the wall or something? I always think those look like they could easily flip over...I'm sure they can't though, unless it's on carpet. If you are handy with DIY...I say make your own stand!!!! That way it's exactly the way you want it ;)

Super equipment you have for this tank too!!!!! You could hang the AI from the ceiling. Hopefully those with this light can chime in with helpful ideas :)

Following :happydance:

Good thinking moving it to "members" forum. It gets way more traffic that way. I always forget to check out the awesome tanks in the AIO forum.

I have my first follower woo hoo!!!! I'm gonna go up to good old home depot today and hopefully bring home some lumber for a stand. The stand from innovative is 200 and I know I can make a stand for a lot less than that. Plus like you said it will be exactly what I want. I might do some macro in this tank so if I do I'll need some advice from you.

id do a diy one.

good luck on the build btw

Thanks Jr, I'm really excited to see what I can do with this tank.

I have my first follower woo hoo!!!! I'm gonna go up to good old home depot today and hopefully bring home some lumber for a stand. The stand from innovative is 200 and I know I can make a stand for a lot less than that. Plus like you said it will be exactly what I want. I might do some macro in this tank so if I do I'll need some advice from you.

I'll do my best to help. I'm learning as I go along. There's not a lot too keeping macro...at least not in my experience :happy:

Have fun building the stand!!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

I need some advice. Brs reef saver rock or reef cleaners base rock?

I have no experience with reef cleaners rock. I can tell you that my brother just bought the BRS pukani and loves it. I know....doesn't really help with your question :lol:

I have no experience with reef cleaners rock. I can tell you that my brother just bought the BRS pukani and loves it. I know....doesn't really help with your question :lol:

I have en seeing a lot of good things about the brs rock lately. I used reef cleaners for my pico and not was awesome. I can't make up my mind! It's gonna drive me crazy.

Oh yeah I priced out everything I need for my stand and it's going to be about 50 bucks. Sure does sound better than $200.

Looks like you're off to a great start!! I got a bunch of rock from Reefcleaners, broke it up with a hammer and made a little sculpture. I'm very happy with it.

I'm not really that handy, but I have made two stands so far. Very easy really. There are lots of plans out there. Think about making it bigger than your tank. It's nice to have a ledge around the tank and there's more room underneath.

Looks like you're off to a great start!! I got a bunch of rock from Reefcleaners, broke it up with a hammer and made a little sculpture. I'm very happy with it.

I'm not really that handy, but I have made two stands so far. Very easy really. There are lots of plans out there. Think about making it bigger than your tank. It's nice to have a ledge around the tank and there's more room underneath.

I think Im definitely ordering rock from reef cleaners today. I really liked the rock I got when I used it for my 3 gallon. You definitely made an awesome scape with that rock as well. As far as the stand goes I am going to take your advice and go a little bit bigger than the tank so I have additional room undo side the stand. I also like having a lip so I have somewhere to set my tools or beer while I'm enjoying the tank :)

Sweet! I saw these tanks at my LFS...very nice :)

Can't wait to see whatcha do with it, your pico is awsome.

I absolutely loved the innovative marine tanks when I saw them and my Lfs had the 30 in stock when I decided to combine my two tanks so it worked out. I am planning on stocking with a lot of high end zoas and other corals. I can only hope this tank ends up somewhat like your zoa tank.

Oh yeah I priced out everything I need for my stand and it's going to be about 50 bucks. Sure does sound better than $200.

Oh yeah is right!!!!! Nice savings to put toward inhabitants!!!!!

Oh yeah is right!!!!! Nice savings to put toward inhabitants!!!!!

That is the only reason I'm going to be able to order my base rock today. I also have a budget for my light fixture now.

Just put in an order for 30 lbs of reef cleaners florida reef rock. I dont think that I will be using all 30 lbs but I am excited to see what kind of scapes I can come up with.

I was wondering if anyone uses egg crate under their scape. I have never had a tank this size so I have never used this amount of rock. Is it a good idea to have something under the scape?

what do you guys think about me making an internal wavebox? This would require me to cut a hole in the false wall and install my mp10 on the back wall. I don't know how I feel cutting a hole in my new tank but my buddy with the same tank did this and its works amazing.

i think id just run the mp10 as normal. i wanna see some shots of the back of the tank sometime.

That's what I'm thinkin. Cutting into my new tank makes me cringe. I'll take some shots of the rear chambers tonight if I get a chance.

Just put in an order for 30 lbs of reef cleaners florida reef rock. I dont think that I will be using all 30 lbs but I am excited to see what kind of scapes I can come up with.

I was wondering if anyone uses egg crate under their scape. I have never had a tank this size so I have never used this amount of rock. Is it a good idea to have something under the scape?

Yay...rock!!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it too!!!!

I have used egg crate under the sand of my last two tanks. It just gives me a sense of security knowing the rock is setting on top of that as opposed to just glass.

Tried to get a couple pics of the rear chambers. The back of the tank is painted black so it's impossible to show how the chambers are actually set up but the design seems pretty well thought out. I will probably take out a portion of the pain from the back for a fuge light.

2CF7E954-89CE-4FF1-8EA7-DD490295020D-2626-0000021A5B48B05A.jpg

A5E9E429-F330-4FFA-BA9B-5F69783D2302-2626-0000021A666EC58E.jpg

Archived