Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

It is an anemone, possibly an aiptasia, possibly not.

I have looked through three different LFS and the Aiptasias they had infesting their tanks did not look like this one. However one LFS had a look-a-alike that was called a Flower Rock Anemone. I will keep an eye on it and see. The Peppermint shrimp has been by it several times and leaves it alone.

Take it back to the store and get your money back.

I only paid 3.99 for two on a nice LR. I would return it if I decided to get rid of it. But since IslandofTiki expressed an interest, I would like it better to ship it to him, if he wants it still, to live a happy life in his pest tank.

Thanks for your thoughts, jedimasterben.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't return it. Feed it and see what it grows into! Frozen Mysis. If its apt. a pep shrimp will eat them and if it's not it might be cool. It's not a mojano and apt don't usually have color.

This morning I notice a miniature land slide occurred over night so I plunged my hand in the water. I secured the rocks. While I was working, Karloff the hungry Peppermint shrimp rasped me with his little, saw-toothed feet in search of food. I dried my hands, broke off a portion of the sinking wafers he loves and proceeded to feed Karloff. As Karloff greedily took his morsel I notice a flash of color and movement on the main, large live rock. I quickly removed my hand with my heart pounding as I see a three inch orange, creepy, crawly, undulating, multi-legged, HAIRY worm making a dash into a cave. Yuch!!! It stayed there long enough for me to snatch an out-of-focus picture.

bristleworm_zps52081a73.jpg

I also noticed white, sesame seed sized sack-like structures on the live rocks, back of the tank and a Cerith snail's shell. Anyone know what these are? From what I have read I am guessing snail eggs.(?) I have Nassarius, Ceriths, Nerites, and some unidentified volunteers.

Here is the white object on a snail shell.

f6611627.jpg

Here is another under pump nozzle.

56f257f5.jpg

Thanks for looking and your input.

Don't return it. Feed it and see what it grows into! Frozen Mysis. If its apt. a pep shrimp will eat them and if it's not it might be cool. It's not a mojano and apt don't usually have color.

I am cautiously optimistic. I went back to the LFS where I got these. I looked at the others like mine he had in his tank. they were all growing together on one live rock. I asked the owner about aiptasia and he showed me some in that very same display tank. The aiptasia had long tentacles, small disks with brown coloring. The aiptasia looked nothing like the others on the main rock which had short tentacles, large, green disc with reddish gold tentacles. They were labeled 'Green Rock Buttons.' In short I am keeping them for now. The Pep is not bothering them at all. We will see what these turn out to be. :happy:

I did feed them today. They grabbed the food and rolled up their tentacles. Their stem and disc then got 'fat.' Shortly after they were back to normal.

Thanks for your continued helpful input. I appreciate the guidance.

White thing is Nerite egg. And that is a bristleworm. Harmless, but yeah I agree they are yuk. I like to stick my hand in the tank and I will not with those big ones around. I got rid of a HUGE one some time ago and they has all disappeared. They are beneficial feeders, but yeah. Yuk.

Deleted User 3
5. not get too upset when members seem to give slightly sarcastic or rude replies. Usually, it is the case that they do not intend to be offensive. I find expressing thoughts and humor through writing is difficult.

And some ARE being jerks... and then you have people you normally talk to on her in your short time, being jerks, but you just play it off & be jerky back with a smiley :P Good 1-2-3's newb things!

And some ARE being jerks... and then you have people you normally talk to on her in your short time, being jerks, but you just play it off & be jerky back with a smiley :P Good 1-2-3's newb things!

Thanks for the kind words, TuLIPgirl.

Yeah I count to ten or twenty and sometimes fifty! LOL :rant:

White thing is Nerite egg. And that is a bristleworm. Harmless, but yeah I agree they are yuk.

Yep. I was very alert this morning watching for any sudden moves. :scarry:

I set up a mushroom nursery this morning. Every day those cute mushies are topsie-turvy and MAD from shrimp, snails and now worm harrassment. :angry:

This green mushroom just finished having a throwing-up hissy fit! It spewed spaghetti-like threads out of its mouth. :blink: It was tip over up against a rock. The final insult was my trying to flip it right side up. It re-ingested its ... whatever it was. :eek: Ewww

8fab8d5d.jpg

omgomgomg Holy caterpillars. Batman! That thing is longer than I thought.

c1188406.jpg

Bold as brass, this bristle worm comes out in broad daylight! Click to watch 35 second video of it coming out to sniff something in the sand. It burrowed under and was probably cleaning up a dead snail.

th_518015fc.jpg

Sorry about the loss but great story-telling. :)

+1!!!

Just catching up -- I have an orange bristle like that dwelling in a rock and am now freaked out about putting my hand in the tank! I used to with few qualms, but I am more cautious now ;).

Because my three mushroom corals had been looking very pitiful on the treacherous sand bed I set up a mushroom nursery in a new disposable plastic container. Using a handy knife I cut out thin slits in the sides for water flow. The curled top where the lid snaps on was in the way so I cut it away too.

I wrapped some LR in an old clean towel, grabbed my trusty hammer and uttered "Hulk smash!" Having created nice sized rubble {and feeling better ;)} I filled the bottom of the container with a single layer of LR.

With a bag clip I attached it to the back wall of my 12 G Nano-Cube, filled it with tank's SW and added the forlorn mushies.

d7e4e12d.jpg

Mushies this morning already relaxing: they look even more stretched and plump now.

0b7b766b.jpg

Input please! Thanks. :)

The red mushroom coral pictured below was flipped over in the nursery this morning! The other two did not budge. It looked so nice and plump yesterday evening at lights out and now it is curled up again. It must have grown feet. How did it flip over with gentle flow? Do mushrooms send out feelers that they fight with at night? I am perplexed.

Any ideas? Input please! Thanks. :)

0b7b766b.jpg

Mushrooms are very much like anemones, they have a foot and they move around if they don't like their current spot.

Thanks. The little red shroom is the only one with a problem then. I found him again flipped over under a rock. <_< The other two are fine and staying put.

What I used to do (before the shroom takeover) is just push them into an area of rock foot first. Literally just gently push it in there. Can't hurt it unless u squish it but I assume u wouldn't do that. They can survive a nuclear winter... Nowadays I feeakin mushrooms floating around the tank randomly and I just give them away to the lfs. I actually lost a real nice elegance cause the dam shroom footed itself at the base of the elegance and burned it to death. So watch out for that. Shrooms don't look deadly but they kill quickly.

As far as the worm, set a trap for it with a piece of shrimp or something.

Tank update:

I tested water again today and all is well. Do you agree?

Temp 78.3 F :: pH 8.0 :: Ca 440ppm :: Alk. 8.5 dKH :: NO3 0

Last week I installed a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 circulation pump to improve water flow. There are still a few dead spots where stuff can collect but I shoot it with a turkey baster.

Also I attache two small colonies of Zoas to the LR with Aquastick putty. It was not very sticky and I was afraid of pressing too hard. :unsure: Hopefully they will stay up as the putty cures. See pics below.

The CUC has eaten every last bit of visible algae/diatoms and detritus. I have some Hikari sinking wafers that I break into quarters which the Pep. shrimp eats and the Nassarius snails swarm over. I also got some brown marine algae (like dried seaweed) by Ocean Nutrition that I put in yesterday for the algae eating snails. It was unsuccessful as I saw only two dwarf Ceriths on the strip I clipped next to the sand bed. The strip was flipping around in the current so not many could probably get to it. What do you guys feed your assorted snails so that there is not a massive die off?

Collonista snail? This snail is a volunteer.

IMAG0823_zps3bb026df.jpg

lovely algae colors on this Astrea's shell

IMAG0835_zpscece32f6.jpg

My first attempt and gluing down Zoa frags

IMAG0830_zps6966afad.jpg

IMAG0836_zps3edc9225.jpg

Kenya tree an Xenia are lovely as its arms dance with the currents

IMAG0839_zps7614f76d.jpg

What I used to do (before the shroom takeover) is just push them into an area of rock foot first. Literally just gently push it in there. Can't hurt it unless u squish it but I assume u wouldn't do that. They can survive a nuclear winter... Nowadays I feeakin mushrooms floating around the tank randomly and I just give them away to the lfs. I actually lost a real nice elegance cause the dam shroom footed itself at the base of the elegance and burned it to death. So watch out for that. Shrooms don't look deadly but they kill quickly.

As far as the worm, set a trap for it with a piece of shrimp or something.

Hi, pschom.

Yep, the shrooms are slimy, slippery little suckers. I have them on LR rubble now in low flow in the hopes that they attach themselves but they are stubborn. I would like to try your method. What is rock foot?

I will keep a close eye on them too. I do not want them killing anything. Too bad about the elegance. :angry:

I will set a trap for the bristle worm b/c it has gotten too big for my liking. Yech! :eek:

As always, your advice is great. Thanks.

Even if you accidentally squished the mushroom, it wouldn't hurt it at all - ever heard of someone putting one in a blender for a bit and then dumping it back in the tank? Yeah, that actually works. I had a big mushroom fly into an MP10, half of it was obliterated. The good half grew back to its normal size within two weeks, and I have baby mushrooms friggin' everywhere, and to this day, even after switching to a new tank, I'm still finding more.

Even if you accidentally squished the mushroom, it wouldn't hurt it at all - ever heard of someone putting one in a blender for a bit and then dumping it back in the tank? Yeah, that actually works. I had a big mushroom fly into an MP10, half of it was obliterated. The good half grew back to its normal size within two weeks, and I have baby mushrooms friggin' everywhere, and to this day, even after switching to a new tank, I'm still finding more.

WOW That is really good to know. These are the "Terminators" of the tank. "I'll be back."

No, I just meant to push the mushroom into a crevasse in the rock 'foot first'. Yeah dude be careful what u put into the tank. It's fun to see you can keep it but when it starts spreading watch out!

I have a new addition to the family. Cute little, healthy Goby. He eats shrimp right out of a pipette.

IMAG0829_zpsb2bf657f.jpg

He has decided he likes to rub up on the Mushroom corals. He prefers soft mushies to hard rock. Smart fella.

IMAG0846_zpsdd6c0607.jpg

From what I have read this is the typical Kenya tree droop. Is this typical in your experience?

IMAG0849_zps587bb27a.jpg

Kenya tree 3 wks ago:

2137a73e.jpg

Kenya tree today:

IMAG0839_zps7614f76d.jpg

Archived