SaltCritters.com

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

That would be a very large expense for something that will probably help kill the Radion (the fan is on the bottom of the unit, not the top, so it will have little to no air able to get to it)

Or just have Nanobox do one for ya ;)

I don't really think that it would be a big deal, right? The radion fan would be pulling in cool air and the sun power would be cooling as well. I would think that the fixture would be well ventilated.

I have been trying to get a Nanobox one for about 5 months now. I think Dave is too busy to do a non-nanobox retrofit for me :(

I'm sold on the DOS system.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/dos/

I've had leak after leak and constantly have to replace the hoses. All I needed to read was the improved motors and improved connection system and I was sold. Easy replacement hosing is icing on the cake. Now all we need is cheap Alk and Calcium monitors so I can make corrections without even being at the tank and it's reef easy mode for all.

I'll wait for a year or so before purchase, I'm not going to pay the first adopter price, but I will have one or two of these some day.

• Like 1

I'm sold on the DOS system.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/dos/

I've had leak after leak and constantly have to replace the hoses. All I needed to read was the improved motors and improved connection system and I was sold. Easy replacement hosing is icing on the cake.

Yup. I'm looking forward to it.

Now all we need is cheap Alk and Calcium monitors so I can make corrections without even being at the tank and it's reef easy mode for all.

I have read that this is not easily possible, but I wish it would happen!

I'll wait for a year or so before purchase, I'm not going to pay the first adopter price, but I will have one or two of these some day.

Ya, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I need a new doser as I am having to run my BRs 1.1ml/m dosers quite a bit to keep up with my tank's demands. From what I read, the DOS should be able to keep up no problem for years and years.

IMO, there is not much reason to buy a completely new radion. All the parts from my old gen1 radion were replaced. You are basically paying for a new housing which doesn't really matter in the long run.

Hmmmm then maybe the pucks...

• Like 1

Loving how all your colors pop! What type of camera do you use Indy?

Thanks! I use my trusty Canon T2i with the stock lens for all the pics unless I specify that I used my iPhone.

• Like 1

Thanks! I use my trusty Canon T2i with the stock lens for all the pics unless I specify that I used my iPhone.

Stock lens??? Really, damn I shoulda bought the canon instead of Nikon :wacko: lol

Ya, i can't afford a macro lens on a grad student salary.

Understandable, but when you get the extra if you are interested in one I'd look into the tamron line for canon, sharp and decently budget friendly compared to other options. :)

• Like 1

Understandable, but when you get the extra if you are interested in one I'd look into the tamron line for canon, sharp and decently budget friendly compared to other options. :)

Yeah, I've thought about those. Decent glass for half the price. I'll probably get one sooner or later. It will probably wait until after i finish grad school and get a job... if i get a job lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've thought about those. Decent glass for half the price. I'll probably get one sooner or later. It will probably wait until after i finish grad school and get a job... if i get a job lol.

Yeah definitely, I bought a refurb with 7yr Mack warranty for like 330 on ebay, I haven't done a ton with it yet but I am quite happy so far.... someday I will break down and get the nikon 105, someday :) lol

• Like 1
Ok, I pre-ordered the Neptune DOS. I was actually going to get a Ca reactor but decided against it. After checking out other dosing pumps with stepper motors, I don't feel like $349.95 is THAT outrageous for the two pumps on the DOS unit (still a little high, but whatever).

Watched a video of them today. Pretty sweet and really not that bad at 350, does that include there resevior with the optical eyes that sense how much solution you have? Where you preorder them?

Watched a video of them today. Pretty sweet and really not that bad at 350, does that include there resevior with the optical eyes that sense how much solution you have? Where you preorder them?

It doesn't include the reservoir or optical sensors. No word on how much those will be yet but the price tag is on those yet. I preordered from marine depot since they are in LA so I will have it the next day after they ship. What sucks is that I have to wait something like 8 weeks until they ship. I was hoping for sooner, but I guess I can wait a month and a half.

• Like 1
Icanhazcheeseburger

Wow loving the pics! Not sure if you can help me though Indy, how do you take pictures on your iPhone without letting your actinic lighting flood the picture in an all-blue picture? I'm having trouble on balancing the colors in my iPhone pictures...It just seems the actinic lighting just overpower all the other spectrums when I try to take pictures..

Wow loving the pics! Not sure if you can help me though Indy, how do you take pictures on your iPhone without letting your actinic lighting flood the picture in an all-blue picture? I'm having trouble on balancing the colors in my iPhone pictures...It just seems the actinic lighting just overpower all the other spectrums when I try to take pictures..

I'm not sure that I'm doing anything special with my iPhone to make the pics not turn out like I have a tank full of windex. I usually try to take pics when the radion is @ 14k though as to minimize the blue. I never have been a fan of a really overly blue tank.

• Like 1

Congrats on the beautiful tank and bride :)

Thank you! The tank has looked better, but I am hoping it will be better than ever in a couple months.

Dude congrats on the marriage!

The tank is looking stellar as well

Thanks! How's school?

year 1 kicked my butt

year 2 a lot easier plus I'm on an RA this semester that helps

Yeah, year 1 is always the worst. I am on year 6. Time to get some money for my diss, fieldwork, write diss, and gtfo of grad school lol.

• Like 1

Small photo update post STN issues due to high temps, alk swings, and my absence for multiple weeks during the summer.

My beautiful hawkins echinata colony went from this

IMG_2790.jpg

to this. It is hanging on right now. I am really hoping that it starts to encrust again. It had PE last night so that is a good sign (everything loves the reef roids that Kat sent me much more than the reef chili i bought)

IMG_2806.jpg

My huge miyagi colony that once was

IMG_2728.jpg

What's left after the stinging war with the green slimer is doing really well. It has PE and is crusting and has a good color. Very happy with it's recovery.

IMG_2800.jpg

• Like 5

the pearlberry lost some base, but it is recovering. It looks as good as ever.

IMG_2801.jpg

the strawberry shortcake gave me a scare when I lost a ton of encrusted base and it started to travel up the branches, but it stopped and is not showing great pe, color, and is encrusting again.

IMG_2805.jpg

green mille

IMG_2803.jpg

emerald tabler

IMG_2804.jpg

You can see in the background where the red planet used to be. It was growing so fast and well but then started to stn with all the issues over the summer. I lost all the encrusted base and the stn started going up the branches. I had to frag the colony off the rock and reglue it, but now it is doing well and has encrusted a bit in the last week. I think it will be OK

IMG_2798.jpg

Wider group shot of some corals in the front. The red dragon would be a lot bigger if I could stop making accidental frags of it >.<

IMG_2797.jpg

Upcoming plans for the tank:

-get a couple maxima clams

-maricultured blue millepora

-wait for my Neptune DOS

-figure out what I am going to do about adding some T5s to the tank.

Cruz!!! Matt - congrats again!

Thanks man!!!!

• Like 5