Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I now have it maxing out @ 65%, but most of the day is at 55% now.

Do you have problems with the undersides and base browning. With my G2 pro, the sides and undersides and bases all brown.

Do you have problems with the undersides and base browning. With my G2 pro, the sides and undersides and bases all brown.

Ya, the undersides and some parts of my acros that are shaded are brown, but it is not that big of a deal. In a system that has some nutrients present this will not effect the coral negatively IMO.

jedimasterben

T5s don't cause this underside browning. It seems to be a characteristic of pinpoint lighting, I think even halides make this happen, though I'm not 100%.

As does the sun. Wild corals undergo the same thing.

• Like 5

As does the sun. Wild corals undergo the same thing.

Yup. I try to tell people this and they don't believe me. Not sure why.

T5s don't cause this underside browning. It seems to be a characteristic of pinpoint lighting, I think even halides make this happen, though I'm not 100%.

I remember the undersides of my acros being brownish when I had my 250w halide set up on my 20h and 60g cube.

• Like 3

I received my wp25 in the mail today. I have it on w1 on s3 and it is perfect for the tank. Not too strong at all. I will be keeping the wp25. I think for now I am going to use the mp10 for constant and even flow and the wp25 for a wave.

jedimasterben

Yup. I try to tell people this and they don't believe me. Not sure why.

I remember the undersides of my acros being brownish when I had my 250w halide set up on my 20h and 60g cube.

Fluorescent lighting has been one of the standards in the hobby for many years now, that's the reason lol.

• Like 2

I was able to get a nice frag of the midas for you, so you better stop by LOL :happydance:. Has about 4 or 5 polyps on it.

I will be, don't you worry. I need a new mattress and I don't want to buy an expensive one because I will only be in Cali for another couple of years so I can finish the PhD. Our current mattress sucks, so IKEA it is!

• Like 1

I will be, don't you worry. I need a new mattress and I don't want to buy an expensive one because I will only be in Cali for another couple of years so I can finish the PhD. Our current mattress sucks, so IKEA it is!

I love that store :). I guess I'm pretty lucky to have it so close!!!!
  • Like 1
buy your mattress at costco yo! You can't beat the price and currently it's on cpn.

buy your mattress at costco yo! You can't beat the price and currently it's on cpn.

No LOL! He's coming to my town today to buy it at IKEA, and bringing me some corals too. We are doing a coral trade :D.

We do have a Costco though if he wanted to compare prices :).

• Like 1

Ya, I saw them at Costco earlier this week. Still too much for what I want to spend. I can get an IKEA mattress for $250 that will last the next two years and then I don't have to feel about about throwing it away.

No LOL! He's coming to my town today to buy it at IKEA, and bringing me some corals too. We are doing a coral trade :D.

We do have a Costco though if he wanted to compare prices :).

It's true. I'm committed now! :D

Fluorescent lighting has been one of the standards in the hobby for many years now, that's the reason lol.

I have a friend that set up a 120 with a pacific sun pandora S2. It is so good looking. Those fixtures are so sleek and powerful. I think I have found what I am shooting for down the road build until the next best thing comes out.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have a friend that set up a 120 with a pacific sun pandora S2. It is so good looking. Those fixtures are so sleek and powerful. I think I have found what I am shooting for down the road build until the next best thing comes out.

For their cost, you could have a Nanobox hybrid that will slap the Pandora silly :)

• Like 1

For their cost, you could have a Nanobox hybrid that will slap the Pandora silly :)

I heard they were good, but I can't find any specs/links to them on Dave's site.

Mr. Microscope

Sorry about the dotty Ark. I have a captive bred orchid myself and it's a very timid fish as well. My clowns pick at it if it gets too close to them. It often has me worried.

• Like 1

Dave's been wanting to do a site overhaul, but he's basically doing slave hours with as many orders as he's trying to fill. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nanoboxreef

This LED/T5 fixture I have in mind is something I will pursue for a few years time. Perhaps by that time Dave will have some more info.

Sorry about the dotty Ark. I have a captive bred orchid myself and it's a very timid fish as well. My clowns pick at it if it gets too close to them. It often has me worried.

Ya, everything that I have read about this dotty backs is that they can hold their own. I have not found this to be the case, at least with a territorial female clown. To be fair, the clown was twice as big as the dottyback, but still. It was crazy to see that unfold in front of me.

• Like 1

For Gena. Here is Sirius, our 9 pound Yorkie/Shi Tzu

IMG_2326.jpg

Awwww...that's a perfect combination of yorkie and shi tzu :happy:. I can totally see both breeds. And the name is very clever too :D.
  • Like 1

Did your palmer's mili color back up? What kind of par is it getting? This is the only coral I cannot get to color up! Even my blue torts are blue.

It is definitely a nice blue now and is well encrusted onto the plug now. Still no new branches, but I can see the tips of some forming maybe. It is probably getting a lot of light, maybe around 450-500 PAR I would guess, and strong indirect flow from the wp25. It seems to love life.

Maybe it just needs some more time if your torts are coloring up. I don't know about others experiences, but millis have always been one of the hardest SPS for me to keep in the past. I am glad the two I have are doing well.

• Like 1

Well mine is getting about half that par so I guess it just needs to be moved to more light/more flow. It has encrusted and the new growth is blue but it fades to brown.

• Like 1