Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Second dip with a lot less falling off. Going to alternate bayer and Revive. Revive seems to do an awesome job killing these things, slowly.

I got a massive bottle Acropower and still dosing 2 ml/day

Second dip with a lot less falling off. Going to alternate bayer and Revive. Revive seems to do an awesome job killing these things, slowly.

I got a massive bottle Acropower and still dosing 2 ml/day

Good to hear.

So you decided to go back to Acropower? Did you notice a difference in your SPS ? Color?

I figured my tank was doing well with it so why switch it up. After a month or so without I can't really say I noticed a difference or not, but my SPS seem to do well with it.

• Like 1

I don't thinks these aa's to anything really. Running super clear they might add a little nutrients for absorption.

After dipping my acro's I actually noticed a bump in alk and Ca consumption (finally). Hopefully with health corals I will start having good growth.

• Like 1

I don't thinks these aa's to anything really. Running super clear they might add a little nutrients for absorption.

Their is plenty of scientific evidence that amino acids can be taken up by corals and that they serve a variety of uses including accumulation and retention of nitrogen and UV protection (which can be taken as more color! :) ). That said, maybe we aren't doing much by adding amino acids to our tanks in the current methods of just dumping it in except adding to the nutrient intake of the system and this translates to a positive thing. We may even look back on acropower in 10 years and laugh at the idea - who knows? It seems scientifically viable though

After dipping my acro's I actually noticed a bump in alk and Ca consumption (finally). Hopefully with health corals I will start having good growth.

That's a good sign that you are headed in the right direction!

• Like 1

LEGIT!

YUP!! I really have a thing for red and blue SPS. I really like the color combo of them. I will get it on the PC superman and I will maybe get it on the raindrops on roses milli though it doesn't look anything like it does in the pic on Battlecorals. We will see what I can do to color it up.

The corals were shipped today. Fingers crossed that they arrive alright.

• Like 3

The frags from Battlecorals arrived safe and sound. So I have the PC superman, BC raindrops on roses milli, red robin, and tyree pink lemonade. All 4 had PE within a minute of hitting my water. The raindrops on roses milli is a little pale, but other than that I am super happy with the order. I would encourage anyone who wants super colorful and healthy SPS to not hesitate from ordering from Adam @ Battlecorals. He is a good guy - he even threw in the red robin frag for as a bonus.

• Like 7

Agree on taking up AA's. and use for nutrition, but we can't really say there is a benefit to adding aa's to our tanks for the marked growth and colors unless there is a randomized control trial.

The frags from Battlecorals arrived safe and sound. So I have the PC superman, BC raindrops on roses milli, red robin, and tyree pink lemonade. All 4 had PE within a minute of hitting my water. The raindrops on roses milli is a little pale, but other than that I am super happy with the order. I would encourage anyone who wants super colorful and healthy SPS to not hesitate from ordering from Adam @ Battlecorals. He is a good guy - he even threw in the red robin frag for as a bonus.

Excellent, but I already posted pictures of my new arrivals, where are yours. :D

I'll be interested to see how fast you can color up your red robin. Mine remains a brown robin.

Agree on taking up AA's. and use for nutrition, but we can't really say there is a benefit to adding aa's to our tanks for the marked growth and colors unless there is a randomized control trial.

And every tank that is tested is identical. Exactly identical. The only trial I've seen done like that so far is the coral farming food trial that compared reef roids, reef chili, oyster feast, and a few other foods and their effect on the growth of a few SPS. Takes money and a lot of time.

• Like 1

My tank was stable @ 8.3-8.6 dkh for a long time, but in talk consumption is up a lot. I have been at 7dkh for the last 2 weeks. I was previously dosing 22.5ml/day of alk and now I am up to 24.5ml/day. I am very hesitant to raise it too quickly but I am afraid that it will dropped below 7 and I am going to have some issues. I will be raising the alk dose by .5ml every 1-2 days until the dkh starts to go up. I shoot for 8dkh.

Glad to hear about the sps. Im talking with Adam at the moment about putting together a pack. Saw the pic of yours posted to Facebook today too!

Oh yeah, Adam did post a pic of my pack! Neat!

I use Acro Power and NYOS AA's as well. I swear by them now. It could be snake oil but man do my corals look great.

Cant wait to see the new stuff Arc!

-Dave

• Like 3

Still need a randomized control trial. Does take money and time. But of course could save you money in the long run if it is shown not to work. But no one will do it as reefers tend buy what ever magic super awesome thing is sold to them ;) So obviously no incentive.

One more thing I did a little experiment of testing water chemistry with Red Sea and Salifert kits with an n of about 30.

Alk and Ca with no significant difference between tests

Mg with about 20 mg/l difference but the over all pattern was the same and in the end was not significant.

Some people swear by Salifert, some by Red Sea but in the end when following the directions the over all result was the same.

• Like 1

Still need a randomized control trial. Does take money and time. But of course could save you money in the long run if it is shown not to work. But no one will do it as reefers tend buy what ever magic super awesome thing is sold to them ;) So obviously no incentive.

Why do you say randomized? Randomized works well in clinical trials if you're looking for trends and you can't tightly control the environment. For something like corals you need tightly controlled environment, so randomization is not used. The food trial was done by setting up identical tanks, maybe 10 per test group. So in the first 10 they fed food A, second 10 food B, etc. Results were recorded for each set of 10 and averaged so they could get a general idea of how the food performed.

http://www.academia.edu/1647139/Coral_farming_effects_of_light_water_motion_and_artificial_foods

Close the popup and you can read the article. We need more of these kinds of experiments! :)

Actually I think we are saying the same thing.

A random number genera-tor in MS Excel was used to determine the treatment in eachtank

• Like 1

Yup. Controlling the tanks would be difficulty, best sensorial is setting up identical tanks, lighting, water change schedules etc.

This article basically does a randomized controlled study.

Absolutely agree, these are needed for the safety of the wallets.

Excel, ahh. I like SPSS personally.

• Like 1

I use Acro Power and NYOS AA's as well. I swear by them now. It could be snake oil but man do my corals look great.

Cant wait to see the new stuff Arc!

-Dave

Pictures! Come on Indy. :D

I'm busy writing a paper for an upcoming conference. I think I can get some pics over the weekend though after I get these corals glues down where I want them. They are doing well so far - I haven't killed the yet! fingerscrossed

• Like 3

Photo updates!

Red robin

IMG_3371.jpg

PC superman. I tried to use photoshop to get the blue tips to come out more but I can't really use photoshop well. At least you all can trust the colors I get on my corals lol

IMG_3364.jpg

Pink Lemonade, very fuzzy. It's always been one of my favorite corals. I was sad when I lost my colony in my 60g - very happy to have it again.

IMG_3370.jpg

Raindrops on roses milli - I think this one is going to fight with me to color up.

IMG_3368.jpg

Right side

IMG_3374.jpg

Left side

IMG_3375.jpg

FTS

IMG_3373.jpg

• Like 18
Mr. Microscope

PC superman. I tried to use photoshop to get the blue tips to come out more but I can't really use photoshop well. At least you all can trust the colors I get on my corals lol

IMG_3364.jpg

I find the only way I can get anywhere close to accurate on photographing blue in my SPS is if I turn down the blue channel to 10% (almost off), and turn my camera white balance back to auto. Then, I still have to photoshop a little to get it right. Usually, there's some green or purple in the image that aren't actually in the coral.
  • Like 2