Pod Your Reef

Greek NSW nano-reef story!

ALexpsycho

Hello from Greece.
It all started 7 years ago.Back then Nano-reef.com and some of those nano tanks inspired me to research more.All this information about small reef tanks....

Latest FTS 03/02/2014

DSC_0045.jpg

After keeping succesfully a 17 gallon tank since 2005.
I moved to a RSM 130 at 2/2/2012

The tank after the 2nd month is treated with Balling Light method Ca.Mg,dKh&FM`s trace elements supplementation with a dosing pump.

I replaced the lighting with a DIY 36X3 watt power leds with no optics.

DIY PVC overflow and DIY sump with a SWC 120 protein skimmer.

Also a DIY ATO. B)

Twin wMP10`s with DIY power Backup.

ATS.(The Scrubber)

Arduino based LED controller

Fish

-2 Occelaris Clownfish(tank bred)

Inverts

-Trochus and nassarius snails
-red leg hermit
-Scarlet cleaner shrimp

SPS Corals

-Acropora Nana

-Acropora Desalwii

-Acropora Efflorescence

-Acropora Nasuta
-Acropora Valida Tri-color
-Acropora Millepora neon Blue

-Acropora Millepora Sunset.
-Acropora Red Planet

-Acropora sp.Orchid Staghorn
-Acropora sp. Striata
-Acropora sp.“Green Velvet”
-Acropora Formosa
-Acropora sp.“Purple Bonsai”
-Acropora Caroliliana wild
-Seriatopora Guttatus
-Seriatopora Hystrix Pink.
-Montipora spongodes
-Montipora Pavona
-Montipora Superman
-Mintipora digitatta red

-Montipora Sunset.
-Pocillopora Damicornis.

LPS Corals

-Fungia orange&Green(aquacultured)
-Euphilia divisa&paradivisa combo
-Acanthastrea Echinata
- Acanthastrea "Toxic Green"
-Acanthastrea "Twilight"
-Acanthastrea "Red Tiger"
-Trachyphyllia geoffroyi
-Scolymia Australis

Zoas&Pallys

-Blue Hornets
-Pinweels
-Purple Death
-Radioactive Dragon Eye
-Red People Eater
-24k Zoas
-Armor of God
-Everlasting Gobstoppers
-Bluebery fields
-Fire And Ice
-Jade Ring

-Hawaian Green Lighting
-Toxic Green
-Peanut Butter Cups
-Wham'n Watermelon
-Lunar Eclipse
-Magicians

-Pink panthers

....and many others.

Parameters are No3 0,2 PO4 0,00? Ca 410 Mg 1300 dKh 7-7,5 (religiously) pH 8.1-8,3
I try to maintain NSW levels.

Water changes 10% weekly with water I collect from the sea.The salinity in the sea is higher here in Greece(1,029-30 s.g.) so I mix it with RODI water until 1.026(s.g.).

Enjoy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice RSM from Greece! I think its cool that you're using natural sea water, lot of good stuff in there that you can't get out of a bag of salt!

• 1 month later...

Nice RSM! I like the mods you have done to it! I also like the idea of where you placed the MP10!

Do you happen to have a pic of your custom overflow???

Nice RSM! I like the mods you have done to it! I also like the idea of where you placed the MP10!

Do you happen to have a pic of your custom overflow???

Double U style..and the standard back chamber sump is full of live rock now...I have a pic when i first made the overflow.

imag0175w.jpg

following!

Tank looks good, are the moonlights too bright? Do your corals get to sleep?

I follow moon cycle and sunrise-sunset with extra leds(exotics+actinics) with a controller on front flip cover.+25Watt power!

Also I found out that my corals with the standard lighting grow towards to the light source.(for example when the corals are on front of the tank they are growing backwards) Now with the extra leds they grow up and front everywhere in the tank.I dont know the term-word for this ...but is total scientific in greek it is called Phototropism ....

Red Sea made the light hood at the back of the tank and this doesnt seem right.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the hardware hanging on the inside of the door? Is that showing the numbers in red outside?

Also that is crazy coralline growth. Gives the whole tank amazing color.

imag0175w.jpg

Is that a custom filter basket you made? Have some pictures of it out of the tank and how you made it?

I follow moon cycle and sunrise-sunset with extra leds(exotics+actinics) with a controller on front flip cover.+25Watt power!

What I meant was that the moonlights seem very bright in the picture, LED's don't usually photograph well so it may be a false brightness that the camera did. In such bright moonlight, do your corals find it hard to sleep? My sunrise/sunset simulated lights allow for the RSM's stock moonlight to be the light for the sleep cycle. It is not bright enough to keep the corals and fish awake.

Yes Metrokat for you and just for you I will take some pics of my DIY media rack...I use it only for carbon although it has space for many materials.I use Bio-pellets on the sump and I have a TLF 150 for GFO that I only use after water change and heavy feeding about 5 days a month.

The photo is extra bright..why to put a dark picture on a website...I was just showing off my aquascape.

do you like my tank? :D

You people living in US are so lucky.

You have so many coral farms out there reef clubs and more.I am lucky too because I see all those corals and I know what I am going to look for next :)

When I ll have the growth I desire from my corals I am going to share some frags with my friends here in Greece and promote the hobby even more.

Here it is very difficult to assemble a decent reef aquarium and very expensive too.All those corals was very hard to collect.Some of them are still rare in EU.

Whats the white tube on the door, it looks almost like a power supply or uv at first glance.

Thats a power supply.

Metrokat I suggest you to put some leds on the front lid cover.You ll see a different tank and your corals will like it(I also like your tank).

You people living in US are so lucky.

You have so many coral farms out there reef clubs and more.I am lucky too because I see all those corals and I know what I am going to look for next :)

When I ll have the growth I desire from my corals I am going to share some frags with my friends here in Greece and promote the hobby even more.

Here it is very difficult to assemble a decent reef aquarium and very expensive too.All those corals was very hard to collect.Some of them are still rare in EU.

For living in a place that where nice corals are difficult to get, you sure have some nice specimens in there! Also, I love your RSM set up!

Thank you for the reply Spirofucci(I like some of your corals too!) thats why this tank is epic!

The tank works with the Balling Method,ULN,and NSW parameters.

I am a moderator in the biggest aquatic website in Greece and hope to share my success and methods with all you Nano-Reefers worldwide...

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Thats a power supply.

Metrokat I suggest you to put some leds on the front lid cover.You ll see a different tank and your corals will like it(I also like your tank).

I had planned to install another panorama LED in the front cover, I'm held back by the thought of increasing the temperature of my tank and the install not looking perfect/professional (I.e. wires hanging etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived