Pod Your Reef

Hello from Tahiti!

PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

Dr. Mac has really been on the move lately! Last week he flew out to Tahiti where he is spending several weeks with our partner there. 'What will he be doing?' you ask. Lots!

Dr. Mac and our Tahitian partner have already met with the President of French Polynesia, the Minister of Marine Fisheries, and several other officials.

DSC_0819.jpg

They will be traveling around to several remote collection sites such as this island - those barrier islands are made of old clam shells!

Clamisland.jpg

Dr. Mac will be diving with the collection team to personally hand collect and select clams to ship back to us!

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

There's lots more photos and updates from the trip, and more to come, on our Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-East...re/137836682737

Don't think all this means we are taking it easy while Dr. Mac is out of town! We're still posting all kinds of hot new livestock on the website this week. Recent additions include:

HOT New Release Frags!

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/New-...s-Prodlist.html

FAU140769eaTurquoiseMonsterChalice_300.jpg

Amazing Coral Colonies!

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/All-...s-Prodlist.html

HPAU1416179WickedBycolorWallHammer_300.jpg

HPAU1411169RainbowSymphyllia_300.jpg

And great additons to our 30% off sale on the WYSIWYG Frag and Clam pages!

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/WYSI...s-Prodlist.html

FAU146969PurpleHeartZoanthids_300.jpg

Dr. Mac and our Tahitian partner have already met with the President of French Polynesia, the Minister of Marine Fisheries, and several other officials.

Dr. Mac will be diving with the collection team to personally hand collect and select clams to ship back to us!

You can just ship them all to me Doc. :D

Kinda upsets me ): seeing clams being taken from there habitat and having the island pretty much be destroyed by people trying to make a buck

I forgot that you handmade all of your inhabitants out of paper mâché and fairy dust. +1

Kinda upsets me ): seeing clams being taken from there habitat and having the island pretty much be destroyed by people trying to make a buck

Actually, the opposite is true. This is a win win situation for all. These clams are more than abundant and I quote " there are HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS " of them in this location. What is being done here is helping add gainful employment to the natives there, and bringing us some of the healthiest, most gorgeous maximas available at this time. The amount of "damage" for lack of a better term, is so minuscule I would dare to say non existent. Everybody benefits. Yay Dr. Mac.

I dont understand why you have to post a comment like that. Theres no point to it other than to start a fight, which is even more pointless. Sorry for thinking about the environment.

sure you understand, you posted to attack some ladies religion who hadnt posted in over a year.

just to point out :) good day

Actually, the opposite is true. This is a win win situation for all. These clams are more than abundant and I quote " there are HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS " of them in this location. What is being done here is helping add gainful employment to the natives there, and bringing us some of the healthiest, most gorgeous maximas available at this time. The amount of "damage" for lack of a better term, is so minuscule I would dare to say non existent. Everybody benefits. Yay Dr. Mac.

+1. A lot of people actually eat these clams that we pay 1,2, 300 bucks for. Just because they are beautiful doesn't negate harvesting them. People clam for all types of clams everyday near me.

Placing a higher value on these specimens as collector items rather than a food source provides incentives for the locals to protect and care for a valuable asset. Educate yourself on the hobby you have entered and look before you leap.

sure you understand, you posted to attack some ladies religion who hadnt posted in over a year.

just to point out :) good day

Thanks, you too

I must off missed that when i was reading through. Sorry ):

Thanks, you too

I must off missed that when i was reading through. Sorry ):

It was not said on this thread, but on a previous PEA thread..

PacificEastAquaculture

As has been said, in the areas where these clams are collected, there are TONS of them. The primary reef building 'coral' on some of these reefs are the Maxima clams themselves. They do quite a bit of harvesting and have been for years, as a food source. The number of clams collected for the aquarium hobby is a very tiny fraction of the total number of clams that are being taken. At least ours get to live out their lives adding a touch of beauty to our tanks rather than on a dinner plate. Our clams are collected from very remote areas, meaning there is very little tourism there and not a whole lot of economic opportunities for the locals so yes, this is also a good opportunity for them. It provides income and also an incentive to keep their reefs alive and healthy. Part of the purpose of this particular trip is to try and develop some further aquaculture opportunities in the area with the ultimate goal of reducing the numbers of wild clams we need to collect and providing even more opportunities for the locals to get involved with the project.

I know you have a very developed world view and understanding of economics in the developing world, but get out of Dr Mac's thread. He is one of the most respected people in the business precisely because he has taken the opposite approach that you suggested.

I'm tuning in to Facebook for this visit! Very cool, guys.

As has been said, in the areas where these clams are collected, there are TONS of them. The primary reef building 'coral' on some of these reefs are the Maxima clams themselves. They do quite a bit of harvesting and have been for years, as a food source. The number of clams collected for the aquarium hobby is a very tiny fraction of the total number of clams that are being taken. At least ours get to live out their lives adding a touch of beauty to our tanks rather than on a dinner plate. Our clams are collected from very remote areas, meaning there is very little tourism there and not a whole lot of economic opportunities for the locals so yes, this is also a good opportunity for them. It provides income and also an incentive to keep their reefs alive and healthy. Part of the purpose of this particular trip is to try and develop some further aquaculture opportunities in the area with the ultimate goal of reducing the numbers of wild clams we need to collect and providing even more opportunities for the locals to get involved with the project.

Sorry Doc, i didnt know this at all, just you see so many things about how people are taking and destroying reefs, i even did a project for school on it and its upsetting. But good for you and your company. Sorry again for impeding on the thread

I know you have a very developed world view and understanding of economics in the developing world, but get out of Dr Mac's thread. He is one of the most respected people in the business precisely because he has taken the opposite approach that you suggested.

I'm tuning in to Facebook for this visit! Very cool, guys.

I can see that now, and totally understand why. If it makes you feel any better. I removed my comment

CAmor07, it's good to see there are people in your generation that still have some humility. I understand your thought process and sympathize with your feelings on the destruction of reefs. You should, however, really check out the company and their policies prior to posting something derogatory. PEA seems to be an upstanding organization in regards to limiting the impact of our hobby. Of all the companies that claim to care, PEA is one of the few I see actually doing anything. Projects like this are what leads to long-term sustainability for both the reef and the indigenous population/economy.

Good on ya' for handling the situation with humility.

Archived