SaltCritters.com

My Biocube 14 (Coralife Edition)

LongDoggy

Thanks! My daughter loves the tank and I look forward to teaching her more about life under the sea!

The tank was looking pretty rough for a while last year and probably would have totally crashed if I had not been running an ATO.

I'm really glad to see it back to its glory, and actually I feel its looking at its best ever now! And since this new scape and nem addition it looks great without everything being open up fully yet! I give this tank a few days and it should be absolutely stunning.

The hobby addiction does continue for me though... Yesterday I wandered into an LFS. :)\

Came out with three frags that I could not leave behind.

1) a nice piece of a Jedi Mind Trick

2) a plump piece of some red/green/blue zoas that I split in two and glued down to the zoa rocks

3) a real pretty single head of a red/green trumpet coral.

As a bonus, while I was acclimating the corals I noticed a neat little hitchhiker! A serpent star about the size of a quarter was crawling around my bucket! Of course I took a close look at this guy to make sure he was not going to be a pest; but everything I read said he is a good guy and great at eating poo. Wonderful!

No one ever wanders into a (decent) LFS without buying something. :) Monti's are my fave coral at the moment, they grow super fast, very rewarding when you can see it physically encrust more each day, way faster than grass! Watch your kH though, it looks kinda low in your sig, which may affect them. I am not one to chase params, as I hardly have any test kits, but just watch out for it. :)

• Like 1

No one ever wanders into a (decent) LFS without buying something. :) Monti's are my fave coral at the moment, they grow super fast, very rewarding when you can see it physically encrust more each day, way faster than grass! Watch your kH though, it looks kinda low in your sig, which may affect them. I am not one to chase params, as I hardly have any test kits, but just watch out for it. :)

That Kh is killing me. It's always around 6 no matter how much I water change or dose. I ended up with cal around 600 by chasing Kh.

I dunno maybe I'm not doing it right. Maybe my test kit is wrong. Maybe I have too many corals. Not sure, but my corals look decent.

I'm not setting up an auto doser on this little tank. But I will when I do my new big tank after the house move.

• Like 1

Here are some new photos after my adjustment to the scape and also the addition of my GBTA!

FTS:

D3405DC2-B0B4-4E00-A70D-9AD5D9E41B18_zps

Here is the new rock wall I build to give the GBTA an enticing home to settle. Seems it has worked for now. I made the most of the space by adding some zoas and a cool new candy cane frag I just picked up:

1A00D4A2-B3A0-4456-A299-B72A850A4C13_zps

Cool photo of the right half of the tank. You can see the new Jedi Mind Trick coral and some of my other pieces:

FB0B23A5-DED7-4F38-8A09-5CA4FB5816E9_zps

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a quick video of the Clown and his BTA.

I don't know why my videos look like crap though. I uploaded in HD and I recorded with my iPhone 6s Plus which takes pretty nice videos. The video looks awesome on my phone and computer; but from YouTube it looks grainy. Any help?

• 1 month later...

Your tank looks amazing I hope mine looks and runs that good

Thanks! I wish I could get a better video/photo. It's so hard with these lights!

Lol get a Nikon

Probably not a bad idea. But I've read about people buying expensive cameras and still taking shitty photos. I have a canon that does okay. But it's not much better than my iPhone 6s Plus. At least in my hands.

• Like 1
Darkstar0123

My turbo takes incredible pictures but the size is too big to upload for some reason guess I could always do photo bucket but that's a lot of copy and paste lol

• 2 weeks later...

My turbo takes incredible pictures but the size is too big to upload for some reason guess I could always do photo bucket but that's a lot of copy and paste lol

Yea photobucket blows; but it works.

• 5 years later...

After the tank running for about 9.5 years, I finally decided to crash it and restart.  The tank survived a big move, neglect, gaps in WC's longer than I'd care to admit, and more.  

Overall, the tank was very stable and never crashed on its own.

My clown fish I have had for the past ten years finally passed. She definitely lived a long life for a clown, and was the only fish I was successfully able to keep.  What was left were a few bleached hammers and a finger leather.

My plan went into action this weekend:

- take out 99% of the water

- deep scrub the glass/insides

- take out all rock

- stir the sand bed

- scoop out any unsightly small rock/old carbon pieces I never could get/purigen pellets that were loose in bed/general sand junk

- Clean out pump/filter/media rack

- clean out light compartment (I run Rapid LED kit)

- Install new cooling fans (OMG this was huge - no longer sounds like a truck idling in living room)

- Setup rockscape again, but this time I am using two larger pieces with lots of surface area.  Was once live rock I used many years back.

- Add new water and wait for the new cycle

All that is left is a new looking tank that is getting ready for new stock later in the year.

The plan forward will be one or two ornamental clowns

Several bubble tip anemones 

Stay tuned...

• Like 1