FTS from 3/25/16:

4708F66B-5286-4EC0-BBBC-EE68F86BDABF_zps

FTS from 7/05/15:

fts070515_zps4v0lryve.jpg

FTS from 3/25/15:

16828244228_c5d1c0677e_h.jpg

FTS from 03/07/15. Little bit of a better photo:

16139953033_45be54dcbc_k.jpg

FTS from 3/1/2015. New Acans and new torch. Notice I had to make some rock changes to the front (Acan garden), things were just not fitting right. I also wanted to create a torch garden in the front right so I moved the green star polyps to the back middle nestled in with the duncans.

16483215467_415cf84e95_h.jpg

FTS from 1/27/15. New Zoa frag and a modification to the scape. I needed to protect the clam a little bit, it was too exposed to the glass and did not like when I cleaned with the magnet.

16384646875_f8ebf3f34d_k.jpg

FTS from 1/13/15 showing new orange torch and some more zoas:

16095447069_8a16406f97_k.jpg

FTS from 1/9/15:

16238069372_9fb918a48d_k.jpg

FTS from 12/30/14:

15965961459_844fdcd8aa_b.jpg

Hello Nano Reefers!
I wanted to start a thread to track the progress of my Coralife Biocube 14. I have been meaning to do this for a while, so I chose to do so today. This tank started its life in early March 2012
I regret that I did not photograph the tank during its setup, so I will do the best to describe it to begin. I have a few photos to share of its progress with updates coming as the reef evolves.
Open to comments and feedback!

Tank Setup:
• Coralife Biocube 14
• Removed false floor in first chamber
• Removed bioballs
• Removed filter sponge

• Water changes with distilled water and Reef Crystals

• Cut spillover tab between chamber 1 and 2
• Chamber 1: Coralife Biocube Skimmer with upgraded air pump & Digital thermometer
• Chamber 2: InTank Media Basket with filter floss, Chemipure Elite, and Purigen
• Chamber 3: Stock Coralife Biocube Return pump with Hydor Flo on return. Tunez Nano ATO.
• Rapid LED retrofit with Storm Controller (6 Royal Blue, 4 Neutral White, 2 UV)

Livestock:
• 2 True Percula Clownfish

• 1 Yellow Watchman Goby

Cleanup Crew:

• 1 Cleaner Shrimp

• 1 Sexy Shrimp
• 1 Nasaurius Snails

• 3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

• 1 Emerald Crab

• 1 - ? Serpent Stars

Inverts:

• Green Bubble Tip Anemone with Red tips

Corals:
• Red Zoas - Added Nov 2014
• Green Zoas - Added Nov & Dec 2014

• Pink Zoas - Added Dec 2014

Orange Zoas - Added Dec 2014

Bright Orange Zoas - Added Jan 2015

• Duncan Coral - Added Jun 2013 and Aug 2014

• Mixed Zoas - Added Dec 2014 - 2016

Hammer Coral (green with purple tips) - Added Nov 2014

Hammer Coral (metallic green) - Added Dec 2014

• Xenia - Added Nov 2014

Red Plating Montipora - Added Nov 2014

Green Star Polyps - Added Dec 2014

• Red Dragon Acro - Added Mar 2016

War Coral - Added Dec 2014

Orange Torch Coral - Added Jan 2015

• Green Birdsnest Coral - Added Mar 2016

• Blue Birdsnest Coral - Added Apr 2016

• Toxic Green Birdsnest Coral - Added Mar 2016

• Digitata - Added Mar 2016

• Toxic Green Acro - Added Apr 2016

• Green/Blue Leather Coral - Added Mar 2016

• Assorted other types of Acro frags - Added Mar & April 2016

• Jedi Mind Trick - Added Mar 2016

• Red & Green Trumpet/Candy Cane Coral - Added Mar 2016

I feed the tank a varying diet of mysis shrimp, zooplankton, and flakes. The flakes about 2-3 per week, once to twice per week for zooplankton and mysis about two to three times per month. Now that I have the anemone; I target feed him a piece of raw shrimp about every 1-2 weeks. I also have a frozen blend I made of all of the above, and also nori, a variety of those frozen cube foods all blended together and frozen in ziplock bag. I will target feed this to the tank every week or two also.
Dose the tank with nano reef two part A and B; about 2ml each and also Alkalinity buffer as I am trying to keep my Alk up.
Distilled water top off in ATO.
Reef Crystals salt mix.

varying 1-2 gallon water change every 1 to 2 weeks.

I appreciate any feedback or comments. I will be sure to update as the tank evolves!

post-73698-1344630868_thumb.jpg

post-73698-1344631094_thumb.jpg

post-73698-1344631232_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
Ditch the rubble

What are the lights doing if you have no chaeto in that chamber?

Rubble is for added bio filter. Seems to be working quite well. I also repopulate the Copepods in rubble for the mandarin.

Lights on Reverse schedule to stabilize ph over the day.

LFS always out of cheato, if you want to send me some be my guest. :)

I've been trying to source it for some time now.

Edited by LongDoggy
  • 1 month later...

Here are a few new photos taken this weekend.
Showing the new two headed purple torch coral and the ricordera.
Overall the tank is moving along well. Just battling some GHA which I recently pruned back and did a substantial water change.
Also, my LFS finally had cheato! so i picked up a handful and added to the fuge/chamber 2 and also two small pieces back along the wall. Hopefully this will start to bring my nutrients in line. I also reduced the amount i was feeding. I think i was trying to feed my corals too much. Cut back overall tank feeding substantially.

Close up of the new torch.

post-73698-1348496400_thumb.jpg

post-73698-1348496709_thumb.jpg

I read through the thread and two things stuck out to me.

You are getting a mandarin? Are you sure your ready to constantly buy copepods ($15+ dollars a pop)? A biocube 14 likely is not going to have the refugium space to allow for enough reproduction of copepods to sustain the Mandarin. If you really have to try I would let the system mature for at least a year and I would still add copepods.

Rock rubble is not necessary nor is it making any difference other that collecting and trapping waste, aka Nitrates. I would remove it and just leave the cheato in the chamber. Also, do you any sort of media rack? They are designed to maximize flow over the media to increase efficiency.

Edited by dormreefer
I read through the thread and two things stuck out to me.

You are getting a mandarin? Are you sure your ready to constantly buy copepods ($15+ dollars a pop)? A biocube 14 likely is not going to have the refugium space to allow for enough reproduction of copepods to sustain the Mandarin. If you really have to try I would let the system mature for at least a year and I would still add copepods.

Rock rubble is not necessary nor is it making any difference other that collecting and trapping waste, aka Nitrates. I would remove it and just leave the cheato in the chamber. Also, do you any sort of media rack? They are designed to maximize flow over the media to increase efficiency.

Interesting you should point that out. It has been on my mind for a while.

First the rubble in the fuge (chamber 2). I have actually reduced the rock rubble in the fuge considerably. Now it is more of a shield to keep the cheato from going under into the return pump. I would say there is only about <1lb in there. Also, in the fuge, I have a lot of those little snail like things that don't seem to have a shell. I forgot what they are called, but i have a lot of them. Also, there is a hermit crab wandering around down there. not sure how he got there, but i am sure he is doing fine.

As for keeping the junk out of fuge to ensure i don't get too much build up, i float filter floss on top of chamber 1, so anything that goes into chamber 2 is pretty much pre filtered.

I have actually had success with this strategy for over 2 years. In my other tank FOWLR; I run two HOB filters packed with rock rubble. It is a 30g, and i have about 25lbs in display tank and other 5 in the HOBs. Measurements all good and my one puffer fish in that tank is doing just fine.

I do keep up with w/c regimen and my measurements in both tanks are always on par.

I have thought about the media rack, it is still up in the air. I may just go the route of DIY if i do decide to get one.

For now, i re-position my bag of Purigen and Chemipure every not and then to ensure its all being leveraged.

The Mandarin is actually doing really well. I guess i have had her for about a month now. I made sure before i bought her that she accepted prepared food. She eats the mysis as well as row i provide. In addition to restocking pods every week with a squirt from a pod source (dose both to fuge and to display tank).

So far all is well and happy in the tank. Of course adjustments and tweaks here and there will always be made to ensure the best chance at success.

• Like 1

I agree that you can have success with rock rubble especially in FOWLR but if you really want to see maximum coloration and growth of corals nitrates need to be zero or as close to it as physically possible. Since you are using filter floss then a lot of solid waste will be caught there which is good. I would really look into the basket though, it is expensive but its quality and works. I guess they do say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" though lol...

I'm glad you go lucky with the Mandarin taking prepared food. I always forget about spotted ones too, I've heard they do better. It's just I've never had luck with green mandarins in nanos, even in a 14 gallon with 10 gallon sump and buying several packs of copepods the fish just got too skinny. Good luck! I'll be watching for updates

Thanks Alex, I hope to have good progression from which to share with the community on this site. After all, what we are all doing on here with our respective tanks is creating our own little science experiment. I can safely say that most all of us on here have had a passion for the sciences.

We each read, and read, and read learning as much as we can; and after all that we do still continue to learn each day. I have been keeping fish for some sort on and off for greater than 20 years now. Of course, I did get my start when I won several gold fish at a carnival (not my proudest moment), but I kept them until I could not keep them any longer and let them live out their lives in a nice quiet pond. I kept many variations of freshwater fish over the years (and I still do to this day).. Although I must admit that I would like less tanks than my present three, each one does bring a different bit of charm to our home. Fortunately I do have a wife who is supportive of my “hobby”. The tropical fresh water and the FOWLR puffer tank are down in the man cave and bring a good deal of warmth, serenity and life to the room. The nano reef (my first attempt at reefing) is upstairs in the entrance to our home near the dining room. The requirement was that it could not be too large and had to be a good clean look. The Coralife Biocube 14 fit the bill here. I have been interested into taking the fore into corrals, and I have to admit it is a lot of fun.

Current corral stock is:

Frogspawn (added one head in early June, presently has two heads and has more than doubled in size)

Two paly frags (at least I think they are palys – They seem to have mouths and also appear to have sand in the stalks) added in June (the green frag grew about three times in size and actually fragged itself for me by splitting off. I have since glued the 8 or so head hands off frag to a rock and placed it elsewhere in the tank). The other red frag also added in June has tripled in size and is looking great. The two main larger frags have maybe about 30+ heads each.

I added a fluorescent green candy cane coral in early August. It has not done much at all but look pretty and bright colored. It is very eye catching but also very slow to grow.

Recently added in late September:

Ricordera, trying to get the thing to stay where I want it is proving to be a challenge. Last night I found it sucked itself into a crevasse of one of the rocks.

Also added the purple torch coral. It’s only been two days and its nicely extended.

Fish are still my true perc clown fish (who is nasty, he bites my arm whenever I go in the tank) and the psychedelic mandarin. The mandarin is doing well, and I did not go for the blue mandarin because they are bigger and I have heard they are more difficult to keep. So I am hoping I am providing an adequate environment for which he can live. So far it is doing great! Not looking skinny at all, taking prepped food and nibbling at stuff all day.

Overall, I would say the tank is very healthy. The GHA is staying suppressed so far after a good pruning and WC. The recent addition of cheato I hope will also help keep levels in check.

Measurements are all perfect and have never swung in a bad direction.

I do suspect the GHA was from over feeding the corals. I have cut back feeding drastically in the past few weeks so as to not fuel the GHA growth any further.

The tank was first cycled the second week of March (current tank age 6 ½ months). I am being patient and it seems to be paying off. Everything is bright, growing within reason and appears to be a very healthy reef.

Looks good!

Thanks! I've had a look at your cube also and it's quite beautiful. Well done!

Updates on my tank in recent days, moved the ricordera off the sand bed to a mid level rock shelf under the torch coral. I was getting concerned my GHA might try to creep over it. I did catch the ricordera before it drifted into a cave (cleaner shrimp cave). It would have been difficult to catch it of I had not acted when I did.

Other than the GHA, looking good! I hope that stuff will go away soon.

Thanks! I've had a look at your cube also and it's quite beautiful. Well done!

Updates on my tank in recent days, moved the ricordera off the sand bed to a mid level rock shelf under the torch coral. I was getting concerned my GHA might try to creep over it. I did catch the ricordera before it drifted into a cave (cleaner shrimp cave). It would have been difficult to catch it of I had not acted when I did.

Other than the GHA, looking good! I hope that stuff will go away soon.

Thank you! I am also in the process of refiguring where I want the rics and mushrooms. Right now, I've got taller stuff blocking some of the back view, but have also spotted several bristle worms, some of which I think are the fire variety, so am loathe to put my hands back into the tank and move stuff until I get gloves. Before I saw those things, I was pretty nonchalant about that.

Thank you! I am also in the process of refiguring where I want the rics and mushrooms. Right now, I've got taller stuff blocking some of the back view, but have also spotted several bristle worms, some of which I think are the fire variety, so am loathe to put my hands back into the tank and move stuff until I get gloves. Before I saw those things, I was pretty nonchalant about that.

Lol! I know what you mean. I always use gloves now because of the things I have seen. The bristle worms gross me out the most.

One day at the beach in NC OBX a few months back, I got curious as to what's actually in the sand around the surf. So one cup of sand scooped up yielded a few critters. One was a really nasty looking fire red bristle worm! I must have stepped on 100's of them that week and felt no effect however I just don't like to know about it. Nasty

I must have stepped on 100's of them that week and felt no effect however I just don't like to know about it. Nasty

I think the reason a lot of us escape sting free from our salty critters is the tougher skin on our palms and the bottom of our feet at the beach. I've seen a few pics where people touch their frogspawns the wrong way and get a nice rash and then are surprised lol :P

• 9 months later...

Well I am back at it, and a lot has happened since my last post in October 2012. I have been just too busy to do any posting, but all the while keeping up with my tank and helping it along with the evolutionary period.

First lets recap of what has been going on. I live in NY, and my tank survived hurricane Sandy. Luckily, my power was only out for about 36 hours. I went through many tasks to keep my tank parameters in check. I was sucking up water and shooting it back in with a turkey baster every other hour to keep water moving a little and to keep water oxygenated. Also, I had covered the tank in every warm jacket and blanket I hand handy to keep the temperature up. My house was running around 69-70 and with no heater my tank was dropping as well. I managed to keep the temperature no lower than 75. I was afraid that any longer without power would have been pretty tragic. And to think the guy in the pet store was trying to sell me a battery operated air pump a few weeks prior. (I should have bought it).

I have unfortunately lost a few members of my tank in the months to follow.

- The mandarin has passed. One day, she was gone never to be seen again. Maybe the nasarius snails sucked her into the sand bed, not sure. But I guess I was not able to feed her enough.

- Some reason my cleaner shrimp died as well. I had her for about 10 months total, but also, one day she was gone.

- My two zoa colonies have seemed to wither away. I guess I fall into the category of people that just can’t seem to keep zoas. I still have no idea why. I do have a very large colony of green button polyps, in fact I worry they will take over one day. And to think it started as just one polyp in one of my zoa frags. I am thinking that this colony had something to do with my zoa loss. The more button polyps I got, the less zoas I had. I tried to keep them apart, but did not help. I also had a bout with some hair algae that I suspect may have taken over my zoas a little bit.

Now for the good…

- My battle with the damn GHA is going well. That stuff is so pesky. I would not say that I had the worst GHA case, but rather one that is just minimally invasive. Water changes, pruning, and general maintenance has helped. I also changed my water source, previously buying what I thought was RO/DI from the LFS, but found out it was just RO. I had the feeling their filters may have needed changing. So I switched to just using distilled water (Poland Spring) and reef crystals. This has seemed to help.

- I have also done some re-aquascaping… Again. But now I am convinced I actually like the way it looks (for now)! I previously had one huge rock (7-9lbs) in the middle with a bunch of other small half pounders in the tank. I made the bold move of taking out the big rock and going at it with a chisel/hammer. What a great move on my part! LOL. The result has been much better water flow over and through and around the rocks, a better cleaner look, more sand area, more swimming area and some good spaces for more corals. I had luck with chipping off the sides which allowed me to get a nice small flat rock with about 100 of the button polyps on it, made it easy to place where I needed it. I applied some of the aquascaping techniques I read about such as those about more swimming space, the Archimedes principal of 3/5, depth perception, randomness, nine quadrants/six points, and I feel this gave me a more natural look. Plus I have learned that when aquacaping a nano, if you use large rock, you lose the perspective of it looking like a reef. If you have large rocks in a small tank, it looks like just that; large rocks in a small tank. With smaller rocks, it can look more realistic. Basically if you were to put a rock that looks to be a good relative size rock for a 100g, it may fit in a 14g, but never seems to look quite right.

- I have added some livestock also. Around Jan 2013, I added an orange spotted goby. His name is Moby. Cool little fish I must say. Added a firefish back in April also.

- New Coral addition in May to the tank is a purple/green Duncan. I got a frag with one main head and the start of another head on the side. It use to open nicely. Then the main head did not open much, but it formed about 8 new heads around the side. Now the main head kind of opens periodically through the day, and the side heads seem to open half way. I think it was just not happy with placement, so it has since been moved down to the sand bed a few days ago not near other corals. Seems to be doing a little better, but I definitely want to keep this guys around. It’s odd how the corals people say are easy to keep I don’t have much luck with, and the more difficult ones are doing great!

My Torch Coral is looking great these days. Opening very big, about three heads.

The Frog Spawn is getting out of control. Its larger than my fist and must have about a dozen heads. Pretty good for 13 months of growth.

The Ricordea is doing well, I have attached it to a rock which I am able to set in the san bed. Seems well, but sure does not grow much. I have two mouths on it so I am contemplating fragging it into two.

I replaced my actinic CF bulb with a half actinic half full light. This took away some of the blue effect, but gave more light for what I hope better coral growth.

I have one new picture today that I wanted to share, but I it is not the best. I took it this morning at 6am before work and just turned on the lights, so coral extension is the bare minimum. I am going to take a few more photos of the new rock layout and general tank progress then will post shortly.

I do plan to go pick up a new coral soon. Something with a different color is warranted to provide color perspective. I need a red, purple or bluish coral to contrast the light and green colors I have going on presently.

More to come!

post-73698-0-18045500-1375116354_thumb.jpg

Few more pictures taken today. Unfortunately taken at 6am again with no coral extension and a recent rock/coral moving done last night.

Showing the view from the top of the layout and the reverse schedule fuge light, and some other tank shots.

I really need to stop messing with my aquascape. B)

But, I am really just fine tuning it now for what I would envision a good finished product/reef can be built upon.

I have created more space in the front cove by moving the Frogspawn from the top right to the back middle to create more depth. That thing seems to grow like crazy and extend really well anyway. Definitely one of my more hardy corals since tank inception. I wanted to get the torch to extend more and it did not seem to like the front middle too much, so I moved this to the top right where the Frogspawn was to give it more space, light, and water movement.

The Candy Cane coral, which by the way is finally growing was moved to a shelf in the front left. This coral started with two heads. Finally it has four and a starting fifth. Hopefully this thing will progress after a year of ownership.

This new arrangement created about three nice flat rock shelves for me to place new corals. Also a nice shelf on the back left for something to grow.

I am going to the LFS this Friday to buy a few more much needed corals. I need to add some contrasting colors to create color perspective and additional depth by contrasting colors.

I was thinking of checking out some mushrooms, leathers, branching/perhaps acripora, maybe a brain coral. Not too sure yet, depends on what they have. But I think its about time to finally get that showcase/main coral as the torch, Frogspawn, Candy Cane are not fitting the role.

Any suggestions or success stories in the Coralife Biocube 14?

post-73698-0-53519400-1375278692_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-40184200-1375278699_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-76783500-1375278713_thumb.jpg

New corals tomorrow! I hope the LFS has some good stuff.

Also wish my damn duncan would open up all the way. Anyone have this problem? Tank is running about 80-81. Could this be the cause?

Got back from the LFS and picked up some new stuff.

Added a power head, I felt like I needed more turnover. Has been mounted up new the intake.

Three new corals acclimated and now settling in.

1) new centerpiece - Green Plate Coral. Not sure if it is short or long tentacle. It was fairly well extended in the store and seemed to be a good addition. It is about 3 - 3 1/2 inches or so in diameter.

2) Montipora - About a 2 inch frag. have it sitting up top to settle in and attach.

3) a very small frag of blue/purple pulsating xenia. the guy was not selling any, but there was a piece with five heads on the sand bed I was able to talk him into selling. I have since attached it to a small piece of LR with some thread. hope it will attach and take off!

I am going to let them settle in for the weekend then will try to get some good pictures to share on the thread. I took some preliminary pictures today which look nice, but would like to get some good FTS for the thread.

Here are some new pics taken this morning of the new additions.

- Plate Coral (this thing is pretty neat to watch eat Mysis)

- Xenia (was open real nice last night, then a crab knocked it over. Keeping on sand bed for now until I find a better place for it)

- Monti

post-73698-0-69181000-1375793387_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-23274000-1375793393_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-00035000-1375793400_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-69886500-1375793405_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-02103000-1375793416_thumb.jpg

Some Wednesday updates...

The new Plate Coral is doing well. Trying to figure out if it has too much flow going over it as most of it is well extended, but the front part is not totally extended and looks as if its being blown around a bit. Perhaps its acclimating?

The Xenia is looking good, no growth yet but seems to be attaching to the rock, I'd figure it will start to take off soon.

The Monti is just sitting there not doing much, but I figure it will in the coming weeks.

Other points to note...

My button polyps are out of control. I have one touching up to my candy cane coral. I am thinking I need to do something about it. I kind of wish I could remove them all. They grow like weeds and I would be pissed if they are impacting my other corals.

My Duncan is starting to open a little bit, definitely looking better, but no where near full extension. Giving this a few weeks to see if it helps. The girl in the LFS told me to feed it more. Since I did it has perked up, hopefully a move in the right direction.

The Frogspawn is opening well in the back. That has been a killer coral for me. The color is a bit muted for my taste, but adds for a good backdrop.

My Torch Coral seems a bit unhappy these days. For the past month or two, it has not been opening that much. It has three heads, sometimes one of them seems to be not quite sucked in, but not extended either. Hardly ever do any of the heads get the full extension they use to get. The arms seem to be skinnier (less puffed out) than they use to. It is in a new location up in the top away from everything, so I hope it will like it up there. It does not look like it is dying, just not happy.

Ricordera is a Ricordera. Not doing much of anything, Just looking pretty.

Candy Cane is looking good, but closed up a little since the invasion of the button polyps. I think I need to relocate it.

I have been doing a lot of moving around lately. With the new rockscape a few weeks back, then the new corals this past week. I think that once things settle in overt the next month it should all start to look great!

I do have a bucket in the garage of a bunch of base rock that has been running with a power head and some live rock from this tank to seed it for the past 4 weeks. I may build some type of structure out of it like an arch or plateau/shelf and add it sometime soon. Still deciding how that will fit in to the current scape. But it may add to the effect.

Any comments on the new aquascape?

I've made the decision to get rid of my button polyps. Going to LFS sometime soon to trade them in. They are taking over my tank.

Last night I had to rescue my candy cane coral from nearly being overgrown. Poor little guy did not look happy. I am wondering if they are starting a chemical warfare with my torch coral also.

Those things have got to go.

Probably about 100-200 heads. Too many to count. Two main colonies with about 100 or so on each. I also have random ones popping in around the side and back of the tank. A few are OK, but I have too many now.

I am convinced these things killed off my zoas.

Gone to LFS as soon as I have time, will get something with more pizzazz!

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally traded in the majority of my Palys. It cleared up a lot of space. In this process, I have noticed that reducing the amount of rock I have in the tank has made it seem more roomy and definitely improved the clean look of the 'scape. I am liking it for sure. The plate coral has blown up, I will have to get a picture of it when it inflates, but that thing is HUGE!! The new coral addition in now a Platygyra sp (Brain Worm). I thought it was a Favia, but after some research seems to be Platygyra/Brain Worm. Unfortunately it does appear to be a little bleached out, but I think it will do better in my tank. I really hope it survives! Other updates, the Xenia is taking off, about doubled in size. Hoping it will grow over a few other pieces of rubble so I can start to propagate it around the tank and do some other trade in's. Here are a few new photos from this weekend after putting in the Brain Worm Coral. Coral extension was not the best at the time of these photos as I was doing to rearranging and placing of corals, but hopefully now I can keep my hands out of the tank and let things settle in and grow! I will get some new photos up soon when things start to settle and extend. I did notice the Brain extending some of its short tentacles last night which was encouraging. I am going to do a Mysis feeding tonight so hopefully it takes the meal.

post-73698-0-28147200-1376923968_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-53382300-1376923976_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-51184800-1376923981_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-04253400-1376923988_thumb.jpg

post-73698-0-62002300-1376923996_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well it sure has been a while since I last posted on here. Quite a lot has happened in my personal life and in my reef tank. All quite tragic unfortunately.

I am starting to realize that my tank probably looked its best in this post above a year ago. That stupid brain coral brought a plague into my tank. It's what I deserve for not running a quarantine tank. I noticed the brain had some type of discoloration, not quite a jelly but did not look right. It went downhill in about a month and died. This crap spread though. My monit was next to go, it lost coloration and turned white and died. My torch coral, retracted and died. My Ricordera, withered and died. My plate coral stopped opening and died. My Gobi and Firefish both seemed to have disappeared. No idea what happened to them.

My frogspawn nearly died, I lost about two or three heads and a fourth started to bleach but this has made a recovery and is regrowing. The candy cane coral has been overtaken by my steroidal Palys which I am probably going to need to trade in again. The Xenia sadly has receded and also died. It was doing so well too. I am planning to do a rescue mission on my trumpet coral.

Thats all the bad.

Now for the good; my Duncan has grown quite well and I added a second duncan frag which is opening nicely. I also added a second smaller true perc clownfish which is getting along well with my other true perc. Thats it for the fish plans. They are hardy fish and I am giving up on smaller fish in this tank. It has gone through my mandarin, the goby, and firefish. No more fish death in my tank I hope.

The winter was particularly hard for me due to a personal loss no human should ever experience so my tank did suffer some husbandry on my part. But this summer I got my gloves back on and have started to revive my tank.

Hopefully I can bring it back to good standings and experience a new high.

In the works - I have started plumbing and setting up a 5g hex tank which fits in the stand nicely. Plan to build a custom PVC overflow and fuge/sump in the stand with this. It's coming along nicely.

I also have an extra 18w Marineland LED strip I am going to dismantle and custom fit into the stock PC lights. I have another LED strip I plan to use for the fuge.

I will post pictures on the current tank and projects in the works. Just felt like I owed the thread/forum an update since it has been so long.