ReefCleaners.org

Aaron's Rimless 18" Cube

aaron1987

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spending too much time out on sailboats and hiking in the mountains and I'm neglecting my thread!

The tank is doing well again as my work travel has settled down. Probably the most important update on the coral front is that my mystery tie dye mushroom from TDF is *finally* developing green. I have a ton of babies, probably shouldn't complain. If something's gotta grow like a weed, this is probably the coral I'd want doing it. Several with red already in and another handful of babies that are getting big enough to move around. I need to start selling them!

Everything has pretty much been growing in steadily and I need to begin fragging and selling to make some room. I'll snap some pics in the next few days.

My hogfish disappeared the other day which means I need to place an order for some new stuff. Hopefully that can keep my asshole midas blenny in line.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping my tank thread as a brief update.

It has been interesting to watch the progression of a mixed reef in a small space over ~4 years. Some corals have had tremendous success. Others seem immune to what is, as nearly as I can tell, excellent tank conditions.

TDF's Tie Dye mushrooms have been more successful than I would have ever expected, given that I had heard from TDF that I should expect 1 or 2 babies a year. I have no idea how many of these I have at this point, but it's in the 20-30 range and I need to downsize my collection. My blasto's and plates are quite happy, but my stony corals have never really successfully taken off in the way that I would like and the cyphastrea which seemed poised to take over the tank crashed and now inhabits just a few small locations on my rockwork. There seems to be a self-limiting nature to a small reef when a colony is too successful.

I have begun to suspect that as mixed reefs mature, the SPS, LPS, and softies don't play nicely with eachother. I have had gradual necrosis and color loss of my stony corals over the past 4-5 months while my soft corals win-out with no noticeable change in water quality.

I'll upload some pictures over the next few days for the sake of memorializing the tanks current progress. And probably list a good number of the TDF Tie Dyes for sale in an effort to 're-balance' things in the aquarium.

Whoa!

Blast from the past.

I'm glad you kept this tank going! TD's are not a terrible thing to have a shortage of. It can be difficult to keep everything truly happy in a full mixed reef

I'm excited to see some pictures of this!

Archived