Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stones & Roses

jball1125

Nano sapiens
No worries, I wanted to do a sump but one of the main objectives in this build is to keep noise down, most sumps are usually very noisy. -_-

Yes, I had a sump on a 50g and it wasn't something I'd want in my bedroom...

My AIO is fairly quiet, but a hang-on should be even quieter.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you have almost double the volume of water that his tank has...if you really want to invest $230'ish into a state of the art pump only to never bring it up past its lowest setting by all means pull the trigger but seems like a waste to me.

IMO there are far more important features on the mp10 than just the amount of GPH it can push. My main reason for wanting one (still debating) are the out of tank components , "wavemaker" modes and wireless capabilities. Either way as I said before the AC70 is producing a good amount of flow for now and before I buy any powerhead I will be checking them out personally to see the amount of noise they make.

Yes, I had a sump on a 50g and it wasn't something I'd want in my bedroom...

My AIO is fairly quiet, but a hang-on should be even quieter.

Yea the AC70 is pretty quiet, I cant hear it at all from my bed.

So tank has been cycled for a few days now. Ammonia and Nitrites are both 0. There was a very small diatom bloom on my sand but mostly there is algae on my glass.

Clean up crew has been ordered from John at reefcleaners.org and should be here on Tuesday.

TheDrunkenClam
IMO there are far more important features on the mp10 than just the amount of GPH it can push. My main reason for wanting one (still debating) are the out of tank components , "wavemaker" modes and wireless capabilities. Either way as I said before the AC70 is producing a good amount of flow for now and before I buy any powerhead I will be checking them out personally to see the amount of noise they make.

Yea the AC70 is pretty quiet, I cant hear it at all from my bed.

I understand the importance of the out of tank components but in a 12g you can create random flow with a couple Koralias and a smart wave controller for a fraction of the cost and still get great results. You wont really benefit at all having a wireless mp10 unless you are using more than one and it sounds like your not. Just my $.02 and trying to help you save a buck or two ;)

Well the parameters in the tank have been holding up perfect. Today I received the CUC from John and boy did he miscount, lol. I ordered 10 dwarf ceriths among other things and I got about 7 times that. After acclimating I added them to the tank and they quickly got to work on the algae.

Should I remove some snails or will the tank be fine?

• 2 weeks later...

Today I added my first corals. A small hammer and a small eagle eye frag. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Also, as far as fish go. Would 2 clowns and a goby be too much for the 12 gallon?

Nano sapiens

The first corals...a milestone event :)

Hmmm, fish. I'd say it depends on your maintenance (WC amount/frequency, detritus removal, etc.) and your filtration methods. As far as fish go, clowns are quite a chunky, active fish so they will produce a good amount of waste. Smaller Gobies, not much.

Hopefully, someone who has keep two of clownfish in a 10g or 12g for an extended period will comment.

As far as filtration, all I have is the live rock for biological and the HOB with filter floss. I might mod it into a fuge soon. WC will be about 3 gallons every 2 weeks probably. I dont plan to get a goby anytime soon but wanted to check if it was a good idea ahead of time.

And yea its awesome having the first corrals in the tank, hard to step away from the front glass.

As far as filtration, all I have is the live rock for biological and the HOB with filter floss. I might mod it into a fuge soon. WC will be about 3 gallons every 2 weeks probably. I dont plan to get a goby anytime soon but wanted to check if it was a good idea ahead of time.

And yea its awesome having the first corrals in the tank, hard to step away from the front glass.

:slap: Pics or it didn't happen! What kind of Hammer did you get? <3 the Hammer the most of the 3 common Euphyllias.

Check out the tank of the month thread as there are a couple winners there that have a pair of clowns + 1 in smaller tanks. I know one of them has a pair of clowns & a 6-line wrasse in a 10g...

:slap: Pics or it didn't happen! What kind of Hammer did you get? <3 the Hammer the most of the 3 common Euphyllias.

I know I know. I will get pics tomorrow once they open up, they are sleeping right now.

Not sure what type of hammer it is, maybe you guys can tell me when I post the pics.

Ok so here are some pics guys. Sorry that my photography isnt better.

The corals are just on some egg crate for now till I figure out the final scape. I am still in the process of slowly removing some of the original live rock. Some things seem to be adjusting a little to their new tank but otherwise I think they look great.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

I was going to buy one for my 7.5 mp10 that is but really no need. All my flow is from my return pump and yes It's a noisy overflow is what i think you mean. The sump itself isn't loud It's the skimmer and overflow that's loud.

I keep the tank in my bedroom but all i do is put a piece of glass on it at night and It's not too loud to sleep with.

I think a mp10 is really for 20l or bigger

Nano sapiens
The people eater n the back left seems to have to polyps that wont open at all. Is this something to worry about?

Hard to say. Keep an eye on the little colony for a few days and see what happens.

I'll keep an eye on them. They have been closed since they were introduced to my tank. The others look very healthy though.

Not much. everything looking healthy. Just waiting to remove all the live rock so I can start positioning corals where I want them.

Oh yea I added a misbar clown! The guy is a little porker, he took to pellet food his first day in the tank and always seems to be hungry. I will get some pics of him up tomorrow.

I also seem to have been stung by something a few days ago. Didnt notice when it happened but at night I started to feel a pain in my finger and it looked like a very tiny blister was forming. I figured I probably scratched or burned myself but the next day when the blister was bigger I assumed it had to be some sort of sting from handling live rock the previous day. Today (day 3 and about the diameter of a dime) it finally seems to have stopped growing and the pain is gone. A reminder to always wear gloves.

Ok let me just say that photographing clowns is freaking impossible, lil dude wont keep still!!!!!!

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585-1.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Some pics of the Hammer

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

Hey jball - just a few thoughts here. First - looking awesome man. You chose a really nice variety of corals to start off with. Here comes the rant...

Second - the MP-10 hate in this thread is a little ridiculous. I suspect that the people suggesting against one have never actually had one (or at least had one in a small tank). The Koralia set-up costs around $110 before shipping. Its got some simple controls and looks to do what it says. However, its a horrible option if you are concerned with the amount of equipment in your tank. These would take up about 4 times the footprint of an MP-10.

To the poster that mentioned them costing a fraction of the price of an MP-10 - thats kind of misleading. I paid $185 and $190 (both including shipping) for the last two MP-10s that I purchased. Not only do they look better than the Hydor Koralia's but they have a lot more functions as well.

I see these in picos pretty routinely. I kept one in my last nano (12g rimless - link in sig) and ran it on Reef Crest mode at 30-40%. It did a great job of producing random flow (not alternating flow) and if I had a larger grain or barebottom sandbed I could have ran it higher.

Let's not even talk about resale here. If you do it right, you could buy one new and sell it tomorrow for a profit on these forums.

Ok - rant over. You won't regret the MP-10 one bit if you go that route :D.

Tank is looking great, & I <3 that hammer.

As a new owner of an MP10 after originally running Koralia Nano/Nano Evo pumps, the MP10 is much nicer for allowing the max real estate inside the tank.

looking good. love the ric. wish people sold them around here

Thanks dude, rics down here are almost as plentiful as algae. Its looking even nicer now, will have to snap some pics tom.

If you ever want some shipped I know a guy with a very nice selection, just drop me a pm and I will get you his contact info.

Archived