Coral Vue Hydros

Northern Star Coral - Astrangia danae

firecloud5

Does anyone have any more info on this coral? I'm assuming its similar to a sun coral, only without color?

Northern Star Coral. Northern Stony Coral. Astrangia danae

Picturepost-75137-1342534204_thumb.jpg

albertthiel
Does anyone have any more info on this coral? I'm assuming its similar to a sun coral, only without color?

Northern Star Coral. Northern Stony Coral. Astrangia danae

Picturepost-75137-1342534204_thumb.jpg

That is more of coral that lives in colder waters like up to 72 F ... not sure it would survive in a reef that runs at higher temps, but that is just a FWIW.

Here is a link that gives a little more info

http://books.google.com/books?id=5zkA5zzZP...nae&f=false

If what comes up is not that coral, scroll up or down till you see it.

Thanks for the response. I actually caught this fishing 50ft of water off the coast of NJ. I probably should have just tossed it back but I thought it was interesting.

It accepted some frozen brine pretty well and seems very active in the tank now.

albertthiel
Thanks for the response. I actually caught this fishing 50ft of water off the coast of NJ. I probably should have just tossed it back but I thought it was interesting.

It accepted some frozen brine pretty well and seems very active in the tank now.

Did you slowly acclimate it to the higher temp of your tank ?

I think if you feed it some small foods it will do OK. If it does not take the small food then try some shrimp shreddings and see if that work for it.

Keep us posted and if you have pics please post them. Thanks

• 3 months later...

it's been a few months. I finally got a new camera so. The northern star is from what I see doing ok.

I'm 100% sure it could be doing better but I have limited capabilities with my semi crude setup. The summer months the tank runs around 80-83 and now that its colder i have the heater set at 75. I setup a crude auto feeder, i had a 2 week holiday, and I just left it on the tank. I can see the star gets more drifting food now and then so it actually does catch flake and live brine shrimp the clowns miss. The trick was positioning some rocks around it to get a good drift lane directly to it. It has actually lasted longer than I thought it would. Before this i was hand feeding each polyp with a squeeze tube with frozen brine and mysis or just flakes. Maybe twice a week. Pic attached.post-75137-1350831190_thumb.jpg

it's been a few months. I finally got a new camera so. The northern star is from what I see doing ok.

I'm 100% sure it could be doing better but I have limited capabilities with my semi crude setup. The summer months the tank runs around 80-83 and now that its colder i have the heater set at 75. I setup a crude auto feeder, i had a 2 week holiday, and I just left it on the tank. I can see the star gets more drifting food now and then so it actually does catch flake and live brine shrimp the clowns miss. The trick was positioning some rocks around it to get a good drift lane directly to it. It has actually lasted longer than I thought it would. Before this i was hand feeding each polyp with a squeeze tube with frozen brine and mysis or just flakes. Maybe twice a week. Pic attached.post-75137-1350831190_thumb.jpg

It does not look that bad in the pic but remember that it likes colder to temperate water temperatures and if the temp gets too high I am not sure how it will adapt as I have not kept them myself but a little research shows me that the color is fine, extension is good, so if you can keep the temp lower I think that it will do OK.

Do a search for it on the net and you'll get quite a few links that tell you more about its requirements

Archived