Pod Your Reef

Fluval Spec Zoa Garden Build Thread

JoshuA c

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki
if i am doing purely zoanthids and no fish, do i need a CUC?

You'll need something to eat algae most likely.

I'd stick with snails for CUC. Maybe one each of several different varieties. Probably no more than two or three. Skip the hermit crabs because they might get hungry and taste the zoas.

My zoanthid list is currently:

watermelon

radioactive green

purple people eaters

purple hearts

miami vice

these yellow ones :P

cace98fd.jpg

I lost my utter chaos, armor of gods and kedd reds. :(

but i am planning on picking up some sunny d's and these cool green ones with the pattern of magicians but different coloring. The sunny d's are $20 and the unnamed ones are $10

I am currently making a skimmer. i have the tube and collection cup set up, the pump and airline tubing, but i need to buy a airstone.

And i know some of you guys are thinking, "why does he need a skimmer, a simple weekly water change could easily take care of that." My answer is because i will be in college, i won't be able to take care of those often enough.

albertthiel
I am currently making a skimmer. i have the tube and collection cup set up, the pump and airline tubing, but i need to buy a airstone.

Are you using a DIY project that is listed somewhere?

Is so do you have a link to it ? Thanks

Are you using a DIY project that is listed somewhere?

Is so do you have a link to it ? Thanks

I don't have a direct link, but when its done and if it works, i'll post pictures. its basically based off of the biocube skimmer, the cheap one. its an airstone one.

albertthiel
I don't have a direct link, but when its done and if it works, i'll post pictures. its basically based off of the biocube skimmer, the cheap one. its an airstone one.

Thanks. I appreciate it

If you're doing zoas, don't worry about skimming. Zoas like it dirty. :naughtydance:

Really, that's interesting. Where did you here that?

Really, that's interesting. Where did you here that?

they can survive pretty dirty water and some air exposure.

they're found in shallow areas by the shoreline in my area. like on rocks by the pier and stuff :D

they can survive pretty dirty water and some air exposure.

they're found in shallow areas by the shoreline in my area. like on rocks by the pier and stuff :D

but do they live in dirty as in mud or dirt as in excess proteins and waste? and i'm curious, what kind of zoanthids can you find in southern california?

darkwhitemagic
but do they live in dirty as in mud or dirt as in excess proteins and waste? and i'm curious, what kind of zoanthids can you find in southern california?

+1

not mud -_-

like excess proteins and waste.

lol sorry for the mix up i meant in the philippines.

:wizard:

lol sorry for the mix up i meant in the philippines.

Hahaha i looked it up and i couldn't find any californian zoas. I asked the mud question cuz i know what the coastal waters off of socal look like.

Hahaha i looked it up and i couldn't find any californian zoas. I asked the mud question cuz i know what the coastal waters off of socal look like.

our waters are pretty clean here. unless it rains and then you'll find poo floating around when you paddle out to surf >_<

but before i draw a giant load of insane forum debaters, ill clarify as to say that "dirty" water some people refer to is nutrient-laden water. ie; full of micro organisms.

but i have seen them growing on piers and at times parts of them get exposed to open air at low tide.

jedimasterben
but before i draw a giant load of insane forum debaters, ill clarify as to say that "dirty" water some people refer to is nutrient-laden water. ie; full of micro organisms.

but i have seen them growing on piers and at times parts of them get exposed to open air at low tide.

^ this. They love water with lots of nutrients.

My LFS once had some they were trying to kill off of some equipment, they soaked it in freshwater for 3 days and the zoas still didn't die. :lol:

My LFS once had some they were trying to kill off of some equipment, they soaked it in freshwater for 3 days and the zoas still didn't die. :lol:

yet my zoas die out of water for a couple hours. :( sad

ok maybe i won't do the skimmer, but i am still curious if it will work so i'll still try it but not keep it in.

i say wait on the skimmer. just stick to the water changes. if later on you still feel you need a skimmer then get one. but right off the bat id say wait.

albertthiel
i say wait on the skimmer. just stick to the water changes. if later on you still feel you need a skimmer then get one. but right off the bat id say wait.

Why do you recommend not using the skimmer at this point, just curious

how often of water changes?

Archived