Pod Your Reef

Jackies 5 gallon Fluval Spec

jstuver

Recently I had made the decision to downsize again due to financial limitations but I did not think I could live without a tank set up so I came across the new 5 gal fluval edge at Petsmart the other day and thought it would be perfect.

So here are a few pics, first empty and then all filled with the things I kept from my 24g nanocube.

I have decided to use my 12k white/445nm panorama pro and a magenta/445nm stunner for the lighting. I have the panorama but just bought the stunner so it should be here in a few days(thanks Kat) so for now don't pay attention to the lights just laying on the top, we plan to somehow use the fixture it came with and remove its insides to replace with the panorama.

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

And now full:)

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow. very clean.

well done. not too bad for a "downscale"!

Lol thanks! I stuffed it full of things I just didn't want to part with;)

what are you doing for filtration?

I pulled the sponge it came with and added some live rock and macro algae to the back chamber along with some gfo and carbon. I am still looking for a pump to upgrade to as its just not enough flow and too small for a powerhead IMO.

Holy shi**

That magenta stunner is going to be amazing on these corals!

I'd like that orange blasto!

Yea it will be awesome! Thank you!

I know it's cool huh, it has awesome colors!

Wow! Very nice, didn't even know they made a 5 gallon spec.

Thanks! Yep I do believe they are new.

:wub:

Me too, so darn cute! Tonight he was walking around the tank and seems the light was off I put my finger up to the glass where he was, he started trying to box me it was hilarious. I am loving him!

Deleted User 4

Wow, love the macro shots from earlier. Btw, do the pom pom crab harm your corals with its anemone sting?

Wow, love the macro shots from earlier. Btw, do the pom pom crab harm your corals with its anemone sting?

I just got it so I don't know...

Me too, so darn cute! Tonight he was walking around the tank and seems the light was off I put my finger up to the glass where he was, he started trying to box me it was hilarious. I am loving him!

No! lol really? that would have cute caught on camera.

bdevillier19

very nice looking tank. i just picked up a spec 5 about 5 days ago then came home and did a google search and found your thread. my tank is just rock and sand at the moment but eventually will be a lps, softie tank. still undecided on the lighting but leaning towards the same setup as you. the macro shots you took are amazing, what camera are you using?

very nice looking tank. i just picked up a spec 5 about 5 days ago then came home and did a google search and found your thread. my tank is just rock and sand at the moment but eventually will be a lps, softie tank. still undecided on the lighting but leaning towards the same setup as you. the macro shots you took are amazing, what camera are you using?

I have a Canon 60d

They are cool little tanks. The flow isn't enough IMO. But I have been unable to find a pump to replace it with so I just have a hydor pico in the tank as well right now. I would live to find one that fits as the main pump though seems space is precious in this tank:)

No! lol really? that would have cute caught on camera.

I know but the room only had the tv on so it was too dark. I will have to see if it will do it again and get a video.

Islandoftiki
I have a Canon 60d

They are cool little tanks. The flow isn't enough IMO. But I have been unable to find a pump to replace it with so I just have a hydor pico in the tank as well right now. I would live to find one that fits as the main pump though seems space is precious in this tank:)

The Mini-Jet 404 pump fits in the 2 gallon spec with some minor modifications. I have on in my 2 gallon spec. It's quite a bit more flow. I think you might want a small powerhead in there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
bdevillier19

i found that a maxi-jet 606 will fit if you remove the front and back covers from the pump. by doing this you do lose the ability to restrict the flow on the pump but you do gain substantial flow. i havent tried it yet but i think i might give it a whirl this weekend on water change day

Archived