inTank Media Baskets

Some questions on the BC HQI....

PowerHead

Hello Steve. I placed a large order a few months back on some parts for my BC HQI ( basket/fuge/flow director among others). I checked the option for the HQI version of the flow director, and it is cut, but it's still hitting the corner of my light fixture bracket, causing it to not sit properly. My question is, if I trim it a little with a dremel, will it crack? I've never cut acrylic. Also, when it comes time to order a new bulb, I was wondering if you could advise me on the UV shielding (or lack thereof) of the bulbs you carry. I'm reading conflicting info that the BC HQI's glass bulb protector is not UV shielded, but the stock bulb has built in UV shielding. I don't use the glass tank cover-too hot. Thx for your time.

Disregard my ramblings about the flow director. The bottom of the HQI light fixture is actually sitting on the top of the media basket, causing it to rise about 1/4 inch ( not bad at all I'm just OCD). Can I trim the top of the media basket without causing a disaster?

You can trim it with a dremel if you think that is needed, never herd this before in the HQI. Make sure the acrylic is stable so lay it flat on a table so it can not flex or vibrate while cutting.

I do not know about the UV question, it would be strange to have a UV filter on a bulb and not just get it on the glass.

Does it have a splash guard and another piece of glass?

This is the light they use

• Glass HQI lens covers

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_advanced-ap.html

so it's not the bulb but has a glass UV cover like all other MH lights do

Thx for the reply Steve. I've read that the Biocube HQI glass splash guard is not UV protected, and that the stock Coralife bulb has UV protection properties built-in. One guy said he fried his tank, killed his corals and fish with excessive UV switching to a different bulb. I'm more concerned about the UV leak into the surrounding area with my little girl running around. I'm actually contemplating switching to T5 or LED because of this. If I can find the BC HQI owners thread I'll see if I can get more info on this. I'll also try and contact Coralife and see exactly what the splash guards UV filtering capabilities are. Thx for the reply and the quality products!

Report what you find out so I have it in my massive knowledgeable :)

I'm under the impression that the glass has a UV filter already in it just like any other MH light. We sell replacement bulbs to HQI owners and never herd anything negative back. And fish people like to ##### so we would hear, quickly and be blamed for sure lol

Coralife HQI metal halide lamps have the UV shielding built into the lamp. The glass shield on the tank mount fixture is also a UV blocker but it's main function is as a splash guard. The splash guard does not completely encircle the lamp so if you were using an HQI lamp without UV protection, UV light could reflect backwards and out and around the splash guard.

Most of the Chinese and Japanese made HQI lamps have UV protection built into the glass of the lamp. German and European made HQI lamps often do not.

Andy

Thx alot Andy! That's the info im looking for. Any chance you could tell me where you read that? When I look at purchasing a new bulb they don't say wether the glass has uv protection. Which Japanese/Chinese bulb is the safest/most quality? Thx alot

Didn't have to read it. I work in R&D for Coralife and the Biocube HQI was my project. I tested the lamps myself.

The other lamps I tested were XM and Iwasaki (Chinese and Japanese respectively) and they tested out fine. The Geisseman was a customer complaint we got soon after launch and after researching we found this lamp produces a lot of UVC.

That's the only European lamp I tested. Generally glass will block UVC (as it does in most fluorescent tubes) but European glass tends to transmit UV better because of its composition compared to Asian or domestic glass. I know this because of work with reptile lighting.

It would be best to use a Coralife lamp of course! I personally prefer the 14K.

Andy

Thx again Andy some great info there. Not sure why Coralife wouldn't list the UV filtering capabilities of their bulbs under the features list. I've been reading all I can on this subject the last few days and haven't been able to get a straight answer. I'll probably stick with the Coralife 14K as my corals are doing great. Thx again.

Archived