Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thirdchild's ultramegasuperslow 40g breeder (6/24/12 - 3/21/15)

thirdchild

LFS dropped off my stand and it's better than I expected.

20120801.jpg

Awesome!

That thing looks to be $500 !

Yeah... good thing this is my only hobby and I'm a workaholic.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty slick stand. When are you planning on getting the tank wet?

Thanks. Had to do a nice stand in order to get the ok for the upgrade...

Hopefully I can get it wet next week and continue curing the dead liverock while aquascaping. My sps is slowly dying in the plastic storage bin home...

In any case, my dad and I finished the plumbing tonight. Dad got a little creative at the end when I wasn't looking and used two right angles and two 45 degree bends to go around the drain. I guess I don't care if it doesn't leak...

20120803plumbing.jpg

Awesome. Is that a water change spigot in the bottom right?

No, it's not for water changes. I'm trying to connect the chiller to that end.

I took the 3/4" barb from the return pump and screwed it in there. Kinda forgot that I actually need a 1/2" barb since the chiller's inlet is 1/2".

So kinda stuck there til I figure out how to turn a 3/4" barb into a 1/2" barb to match the other end.

20120807.jpg

Added another light because I am a tool with a credit card...

Anyways seems nitrates are slowly growing, no ammonia and no nitrites so maybe cycling early in the tub did the trick?

i decided to live dangerously and threw in a small gsp rock. If the gsp survives and nitrates continue to rise, I'll start moving more stuff in.

Everything still seems alive and happier than in the tub. So I moved everything tonight in one big swoop.

I figure if all the original live rock stayed anyways, I ought to avoid a cycle. Or have a soft cycle. All but one sps has died anyway while in the tub.

Some pics!

The goby finally found the pistol shrimp when they were the last two in the tub. Then they promptly lost each other when they got transferred to the 40g. Pretty anti-social little guys.

Pompom crab died. Accidentally squished in the move :-(

20120810fts.jpg

20120810goby.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief. After 2 years and a tank move the goby finally found the pistol shrimp.

And of course, they're digging a tunnel in the back of the scape where I can't see them. Those punks.

Also the green hair algae I thought I had was really bryopsis. I wanted to stock slow anyways, so I don't mind the magnesium dosing.

• 2 weeks later...

A fresh FTS. Now we're on to brown algae and some green hair algae...

The cheato is doing well but I'd like to tuck it into the sump when I get a refugium light.

20120910fts.jpg

did you buy that light hanging leg thingy magigy or did you make it?

Most I can do is glue stuff... I don't use powertools or anything.

So this is bought from reefkoi. It's very sturdy and made from aluminum rails. Not complicated though if you want to make your own version.

Well I'm finally collecting a few things I had my eye on over the years. Meet the sassy new additions. It'll be super exciting to see these color up. I'm going to obsess over these frags like Gollum over the One Ring...

Lots of thanks to BillyC who just helped me start this awesome sps collection and kmaintl for the coolest softy ever.

An interesting Australian Chalice from ReefKoi that I got during a local show

20120919chalice.jpg

Ultimate Frags Tricolor

20120919tricolor.jpg

Palmer's Blue Mille

20120919palmersbluemille.jpg

Red Robin Stag

20120919redrobin.jpg

Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes

20120919purpledragoneyes.jpg

Tierra Del Fuego

20120919tierradelfuego.jpg

Tie Dye Mushroom

20120919tiedye.jpg

• 1 month later...

Boy I've had a rocky time... I added a red spotted blenny which apparently gave my clown something and they both died. The deaths and not having enough media threw the water quality off and killed a bunch of my new frags after I tried dosing different things. So the tie-dye, the palmers and the purple dragon eyes are the only survivors.

Still working on the algae bloom, but now that things are coloring up... safe to add new life in the tank!

Cquest Onyx Clown

20121108onyx.jpg

And a Red BTA

20121108rbta.jpg

Rough going. Im glad some of your frags made it though. Are you getting good colors/growth out of them or are they still recovering?

Rough going. Im glad some of your frags made it though. Are you getting good colors/growth out of them or are they still recovering?

Slowly more color than dirt brown ;)

I think the growth there is came before all the drama started.

It was stupid of me to shoot for sps as soon as I made the move.

Your clown and nem are beautiful!

Thanks!

+1 Agree, then I am biased.

Doesn't mean they aren't pretty :lol:

Just a updated FTS...Onyx is slowly venturing away from the corners.

Actually I did some math and my tank is even younger than I think. Livestock was moved in about 3 months ago.

20121113fts.jpg

Archived