Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Anyone else unable to access the link http://www.nanoreefs.info in Albert's signature or is it just me? Sorry for the spam...I just really want to buy the book.

Yes it looks like it is down. I ll get in touch with the ISP

In the meantime if you want the e-version of the ? book, transfer. $15 to my Paypal account : a.thiel@att.net and I will send you the download link

Albert

• Like 1

Strange list indeed

Someties it makes me wonder who writes such, do they do it to get people to respond knowing full well the list they publish is hardly what you would go with or recommend?

• Like 1

In the meantime if you want the e-version of the ? book, transfer. $15 to my Paypal account : a.thiel@att.net and I will send you the download link

Albert

The site is back up !!

Albert

Someties it makes me wonder who writes such, do they do it to get people to respond knowing full well the list they publish is hardly what you would go with or recommend?

No idea Les but for them to publish it is even more surprising

Albert

Your website unfortunately seems to be down.

Yes it was but is back up now iHexBot

Albert

• Like 2

In the meantime if you want the e-version of the book, transfer. $15 to my Paypal account : a.thiel@att.net and I will send you the download link

Albert

Just sent you $15.00 to your PayPal account, my email address is justin.papez@verizon.net. If you could PM me the download link of NR it would be appreciated. Cheers!

• Like 1

Just sent you $15.00 to your PayPal account, my email address is justin.papez@verizon.net. If you could PM me the download link of NR it would be appreciated. Cheers!

Thanks for the order

Link for the DL was sent

Albert

• Like 1

I think they allow that stuff to get views. In my eyes, it diminishes their credibility quite a bit to allow that to be published.

Paul, how far are you from Dix Hills? There's a tank up there I want.

• Like 1

Mr Blenny has put in an appearance today and is eating, still a bit shy which is understandable however, I did manage a quick pic of him with his head sticking out of a hole in the rock. Sorry about the quality as I used my phone and had to zoom in on it as quickly as I could. I am sure over the next few days I will be able to get some better pic's of him.

20161015_171228_zpsjzxuurt7.jpg

• Like 1

He;s getting more bold but hot the easiest of fish to photograph or video, just managed to catch him on my phone before he darted off into the rock work again. He is eating well off the side and back glass where I allow algae to grow

• Like 1

If I could catch this wrasse I would give him away as he has gotten a little big for my tank. He is about 6".

I am talking about the striped one, not the spotted leopard.
Or I could put him in Albert's Jelyfish tank
B)

IMG_0702_zpstjgfke2i.jpg

• Like 1
Vwcrackerjack

Hello Albert!

I am having an issue and I'm not too sure how bad it could be.

I recently realized a pump I had in my sump had a metal hose clamp on it it was slowly rusting away over the last few months. I have my water parameters pretty good and have had zero coral growth and some even dying. I was away on business ESP for the past couple months and my tank was being topped off by spring water and only received water changes every 3 weeks so I'm not sure if the hose clamp is the reason however over the last two weeks I've cleaned and maintained and done water changes etc to the point that things seem good now but corals still really don't show any improvement. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Albert could weigh in but generally that stainless steel in the clamp won't do anything. It may even be good. I have probably 3 of them in my tank now and they have been there since Bush the Elder was President. I also have a few, large stainless steel screws, a stainless steel thermometer and stainless steel ground probe in there.

• Like 1

Hello Albert!

I recently realized a pump I had in my sump had a metal hose clamp on it it was slowly rusting away over the last few months. I have my water parameters pretty good and have had zero coral growth and some even dying. I was away on business ESP for the past couple months and my tank was being topped off by spring water and only received water changes every 3 weeks so I'm not sure if the hose clamp is the reason however over the last two weeks I've cleaned and maintained and done water changes etc to the point that things seem good now but corals still really don't show any improvement. Any suggestions?

If they are stainless steel they would IMO not be the cause of what is going on

There has to be something else that is causing what you describe

Albet

• Like 1

Hello Albert!

In such circumstances rather than guess the issue I would send off a Triton water test as often you find it can be a combination of things. EG, I have a friend who could not find out why his corals are slowly dying. I told him to do a Triton test. Yesterday he got the results and lo and behold he has copper and too much aluminium along with elevated phosphates. Needless to say he thanked me for the advice and was taking measures to reduce all 3.

• Like 1
Vwcrackerjack

Thank you for the replies.

The hose clamp was not stainless. It is totally rusted and leeching it into the water.

Where do I get triton tests?

Thank you for the replies.

The hose clamp was not stainless. It is totally rusted and leeching it into the water.

Where do I get triton tests?

I am in the UK so if your USA then just google triton water test

• Like 1

I just made some delicious stuffed calamari for dinner that we will have over linguini and clams tonight. I had too many tentacles left over and didn't want to throw them away so I chopped some of it up for my fish. I generally don't feed squid to my fish as I feel clams are much better but my copperband thinks he died and went to heaven because he will eat all you give him and I want to fill him up a little so I can get some food into the rest of the fish as he hogs most of it.

IMG_12381_zpsh2birxzj.jpg

• Like 1
i had shoulder operation #5 today. I hope he used some quality toggle bolts and not from home depot. nerve blockers are great so no pain yet, but I know what it feels when it wears off.

but it is a real man pain and not a girly man pain......besides I got plenty of pain pills.

sorry about the typing. its hard to make capitals with one hand

• Like 1

We often hear/read hear of so many requests for help or ideas as to why a persons reef tank is not doing so good, The problem experienced could be excessive hair algae growth, corals not growing, corals not as colourful as they should be and even corals dying or any number of other issues. Often the person having the issue has done all the usual tests and drawn a blank and is at a loss as to the cause of the problem. Most of us have been there in one of these problems at some time or other.

Recently I was contacted by Paul as he was loosing corals after previously having a thriving reef tank with all his corals growing well and nice and colourful. Like many he had done all the usual tests but apart from an elevated phosphate level there seemed to be little else wrong. However the phosphate level on it's own was hardly likely to be the cause of his problems. There was no excess hair algae in the tank and all other parameters were in acceptable or good tolerances so what could be the main issue behind his problems?

Hobbiests test kits are not the most accurate of test out there but lab grade testing equipment is extremely expensive. Not only are our test kits not the most accurate but to buy them all would cost a small fortune and many you would only be used once in a while. The answer I gave Paul was to advise him to invest in a ATI or Triton processional water test. Paul decided to buy the Triton test and followed the simple water collection procedure and sent it off as directed and waited the results. The Triton test will give him 35 highly accurate tests results on his tank water within around 8 to 10days.

Approximately 10 days after Paul posted the 2 samples of water off he was emailed the test results direct from Germany. Would the issue be pinpointed as to why the decline in his corals he pondered? You betcha it did, the results showed copper in the system at dangerously high levels. Aluminium was also high but as Paul was using an aluminium based phosphate remover Triton said would be understandable. Paul had lost many hundreds of pounds in corals before he asked me for help and I advised him to have his water professionally tested but he is so glad he did.

Not only do you get the 35 results of all the elements tested but you are informed of which are OK, which are of concern and which are dangerous. Then the also advise on the likely causes of the problem and advise the corrective action you should consider you should take to bring those of concern and dangerous down to acceptable/good levels.

At a cost of £31-50p (UK pounds) such a test could be a life saver for your tank and is well worth having done even if your tank does not have a noticeable issue with it. So much so, I have just bought myself a Triton test, this will be sent off in the next day or two. When I get the results I will then know my ball park figure on my water quality and there will hopefully be no high dangerously levels but it might show if there is anything I need to keep an eye on or needs my attention. I would suggest that everybody should have a least one such a test done simply to see just what your tank water is at and give you peace of mind. After all it might just save your tank.

I will do a follow up to his informing you what my test results reveal once I have them back in around 10 days or so. Hopefully there will be nothing of a dangerous level. Paul has purchased some Seachem Cuprisorb filter media to remove the heavy metals but needs to track down the cause of the copper in his system.

There are a few possibilities, however Paul has never used copper in his tank, I won't go into what those possibilities are here however. Paul will the take measures to remove the copper and find the cause of the high levels in his tank as copper is extremely toxic to our corals as most of you will know. When he has taken such measures he will send off another Triton test in around month to see what changes have been made to his water quality and of course, fingers crossed, the copper will have all but disappeared. Hopefully by then Paul's tank will be on the road to a full recovery, here's hoping so.

I put together the following based on some questions I have been asked about Oxydator's in the past.

Will an Oxydator cure diatoms? Yes

Will an Oxydator cure cyno? Yes.

Will an Oxydator cure hair algae? Not as such but it will help with the fight against it.

Will an Oxydator cure white spot? Not as such but it will greatly help in the fight against it by allowing the fish to breath easier.

Will an Oxydator cure bacterial infections? The jury is out on that one however it will help clean up the tank water that may be the cause or a factor.

Will an Oxydator help with stress in fish. Yes it will so why is that? Using an Oxydator can be considered similar to putting an oxygen mask on a fish with rapid breathing.

Will an Oxydator help if you have an ammonia spike in your tank for some reason? Yes, an Oxydator will break ammonia down into harmless bi products by oxidising it.

Will an Oxydator improve water conditions for my fish and corals. In most cases yes depending on the amount of organics etc in your tank water.

Can I use an Oxydator instead of an ozoniser? Most certainly yes and in many ways less expensive and much more simple to use and safer.

Will an Oxydator raise the redox of the aquarium similar to ozone? Yes most certainly.

Are Oxydators safe to use? Yes within the guidelines given by the makers in fact with a great margin of error.

Improving. upgrading, tweaking. I am never 100% happy and am either upgrading to something better, improving on something or just tweaking here and there. Always looking to get that bit extra out of my system. The vast majority of my equipment was bought secondhand so I don't tend to take a big hit when selling on and buying something I believe will add something to my already very good system. I guess you could call it, if it ain't broke fix it. Many people I guess buy their system and sit back, admire and think job done but I can't seem to do that as upgrading etc is all part of the fascination and appeal to the hobby for me.