SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Just replied to a guy asking about six lined wrasses as the usual "don't get one they are extremely aggressive" replies came in. Here is my reply.

" IME most people misunderstand​ the 6 line and it's need to be aggressive​. I have kept many over the years and never had a problem with them being aggressive to other fish ..... other than the other one I had in the tank with them. You see I always kept a pair. IMO the male needs to have something to dominate like a female to stop her turning into a male. If there is no female present then the male needs to vent that aggressiveness​ on another species. When you have​ a male and female the chances​ of aggressiveness being displayed on another fish is IME greatly reduced. I keep most of my fish in pairs or groups when possible (it is not always possible to do so) and as the species is found in nature."

• Like 2

Just replied to a guy asking about six lined wrasses as the usual "don't get one they are extremely aggressive" replies came in. Here is my reply.

" IME most people misunderstand​ the 6 line and it's need to be aggressive​. I have kept many over the years and never had a problem with them being aggressive to other fish ..... other than the other one I had in the tank with them. You see I always kept a pair. IMO the male needs to have something to dominate like a female to stop her turning into a male. If there is no female present then the male needs to vent that aggressiveness​ on another species. When you have​ a male and female the chances​ of aggressiveness being displayed on another fish is IME greatly reduced. I keep most of my fish in pairs or groups when possible (it is not always possible to do so) and as the species is found in nature."

Good theory indeed Les. I have kept them too in pairs years ago and noticed exactly the same type of behavior

Albert

• Like 2

Good theory indeed Les. I have kept them too in pairs years ago and noticed exactly the same type of behavior

Albert

Now I am being lectured too by a guy on nano reef aquariums on Facebook who thinks he knows different. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Now I am being lectured too by a guy on nano reef aquariums on Facebook who thinks he knows different. :rolleyes:

What else is new right Les ... Happens all the time ... and he has probably been in the hobby for a very short time compared to your 30 + years :) :)

Albert

• Like 1

What else is new right Les ... Happens all the time ... and he has probably been in the hobby for a very short time compared to your 30 + years :) :)

Albert

This is true Albert so I just have to make him feel a little uncomfortable with his ill-advised words. After all, he's worked in an LFS and has heard plenty of STORIES about these fish. ;)

• Like 2

This is true Albert so I just have to make him feel a little uncomfortable with his ill-advised words. After all, he's worked in an LFS and has heard plenty of STORIES about these fish. ;)

Yes I read his message on FB .... go for it Les

Albert

Just remember Les, when hateful or ignorant people get to you, they've won.

My wife just joined the group Albert.

So very true

Welcome to her

Albert

I can confirm that a net is NOT the way to deal with Lionfish. 2 of the 6 times I've been spined was when it flipped out of the net and poked me in the back of the hand. It's rare that I use a net these days, mostly a catch cup or a trap.

Much better indeed and safer for the fishes and the catcher too

Albert

I can confirm that a net is NOT the way to deal with Lionfish. 2 of the 6 times I've been spined was when it flipped out of the net and poked me in the back of the hand. It's rare that I use a net these days, mostly a catch cup or a trap.

You have been stung 6 times by lionfish? :wacko:

• Like 1

Yes. I wear Kevlar gauntlets when I have to deal with stonefish. Not taking any chances with them, same with Blue Rings.

Don't think I would even contemplate putting my hand in any tank containing either lol

A sting from a Lionfish is unfortunate but 6 damn careless lol

• Like 1

Not careless, when you deal with as many as I do, the chances are there to get nailed. It hasn't happened in quite a few years. There was a steep learning curve there. You're unpacking fish in the middle of the night, 1/2 asleep, accidents happen. Back then the bags coming in were deplorable pieces of junk.

• Like 1

Not careless, when you deal with as many as I do, the chances are there to get nailed. It hasn't happened in quite a few years. There was a steep learning curve there. You're unpacking fish in the middle of the night, 1/2 asleep, accidents happen. Back then the bags coming in were deplorable pieces of junk.

Yes indeed, lots of punctured ones with hardly any water in them left and the fish dead or just about dead unfortunately

Albert

Yes indeed, lots of punctured ones with hardly any water in them left and the fish dead or just about dead unfortunately

Albert

how would you ship animals with all those spines without them making holes in the bags? Just curious.
  • Like 1

how would you ship animals with all those spines without them making holes in the bags? Just curious.

Double or triple bag with water between the various bags and a thick gauge bag of course

Albert

• Like 1

They're triple or quadruple bagged with sheets of HDPE which is more puncture resistant, the same way that corals are shipped in. Urchins are the worst to ship in. *grumbles*

• Like 1

I met a kid from the Bahamas back in the 70's that had a run in with a Man-O-War jellyfish. He had a scar that wrapped all the way around his body from it. He told me that he spent almost a month in the hospital from it. He tried to roll out of the tentacles, but rolled the wrong way.

• Like 1

I met a kid from the Bahamas back in the 70's that had a run in with a Man-O-War jellyfish. He had a scar that wrapped all the way around his body from it. He told me that he spent almost a month in the hospital from it. He tried to roll out of the tentacles, but rolled the wrong way.

Nasty they are for sure. Good thing it was not about jelly