SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Paul what do we know? After all some of these people with fish that have white spot and all manner of ailments have ologies in psychosomethingorother. I went to building college and became a joiner and carpenter worked my way up to a building projects manager but never went as far as an ology apart from in common sense but have no certificate to prove it. So many swallow the crap they are fed (can I say crap on here?) After all the people who are telling them abut how good their food is, have a vested interest in these people accepting what they are told as they also have ologies. We have some highly educated idiots among us these days and they have the ologies to prove it. If I do something and it works great if it fails I try again till it works or I abandon the idea all together bust mostly it works. Like you paul I enjoy DIY, experimenting within reason and when I show some people how I can make something for a few pounds (your bucks) that works as well and sometimes better than the flash looking aquarium item costing 100 times more they for some reason get very confused by it. We don't throw stuff away till its gone to rubble and will have a go at fixing it first. We are a throwaway society and that's all some people know. Some can't even change the wheel on their car if hey get a puncture but they will have an ology or 3 which makes them far cleverer than you and me.

• Like 1

I think we are in the vast minority when it comes to DIY. I wouldn't even know where to go to buy a lighting system or skimmer and to lay out 6 or 700 dollars for one I would have to be out of my mind. If I spend that much on anything it has to have a Supermodel or trip to Tahiti attached. My life is DIY including my house, cars and boat. I hate the way things are designed and take great pleasure re-designing things to make them better. So far no one has ever touched my house, car, boat or appliances. I even built much of my furnature. I wouldn't trust them and I wouldn't like the way they did it so I would have to do it myself anyway.

In Viet Nam I thought it was stupid that our M-16s only held 18 rounds while our enemy's rifle held 22 rounds. So I built my magazine to hold 30 rounds. Here it is.

VietNam.jpg

• Like 4

I think we are in the vast minority when it comes to DIY. I wouldn't even know where to go to buy a lighting system or skimmer and to lay out 6 or 700 dollars for one I would have to be out of my mind. If I spend that much on anything it has to have a Supermodel or trip to Tahiti attached. My life is DIY including my house, cars and boat. I hate the way things are designed and take great pleasure re-designing things to make them better. So far no one has ever touched my house, car, boat or appliances. I even built much of my furnature. I wouldn't trust them and I wouldn't like the way they did it so I would have to do it myself anyway.

In Viet Nam I thought it was stupid that our M-16s only held 18 rounds while our enemy's rifle held 22 rounds. So I built my magazine to hold 30 rounds. Here it is.

VietNam.jpg

Thank You for your service to our country.

• Like 1

I love DIY. My problem is I don't have *TIME* to build many things myself.

Here's an example: I was creating a hot/cold temp controller using one of those dirt cheap chinese thermostats.

Here's what I created:

00gjyYN.jpg

I didn't have time to build a pretty box or do the research to make it compact and attactive. So when I saw someone made a nice package for $40 for basically the same thing, I bought it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364817-fs-low-cost-temperature-controllers-40-shipped10-left/

It's nicely put together, it was only $40, and of much better quality than what I was making.

Here it is on my desk. I haven't put it to use yet:

jF1fWTK.jpg

• Like 3

It seems all of my fish are happy and healthy. Since I blocked some open spaces I have not lost anything from jumping. The summer has been great so I am starting to slow down. It's almost time to put the boat away and stop collecting amphipods and mud. I noticed my acropora is receding and my LPS such as bubble corals, gorgonia, frogspawn, hammers etc are growing like crazy. I don't worry about such things because that is due to coral wars. Some corals, like some people just don't get along and different times of the year, they fight. We don't notice it and blame things like political parties, Taylor Swift and phases of the moon but it happens all the time in the sea and if your tank is healthy, it should happen in your tank. The healthier your corals are, the more they want to fight. We have the same "problems" with algae. No, it is not your nutrients, old light bulbs or Saturday Night Live re runs, but I realize I am in the vast minority so go ahead and believe it is your nutrients. I wrote a book that is supposed to be out this week, I can't wait because I want to read it to see if I still agree with myself. I realize many people- OK everybody dis agrees with me but that is OK. I don't mind. I try to inject some common sense into my writings weather people believe me or not. My Grand Kids listen to me. Now that winter is approaching I can spend more time on the tank. I don't know what I am going to do with it because I really can't fit any more fish as even now, they have to take turns putting their face under the water because it is over crowded. I still feed live worms and clams every day because I feel that is the secret. Well, the worms "and" the bacteria in their guts as that is what keeps them immune but I don't want to go into that on here. (can't take the arguements, I am to old) I already wrote plenty on that subject. I think my fireclown is about 24 years old but I could be off by a few years because I can't find his birth certificate. When I bought him I actually thought he was a red hawkfish because when they are young, they look the same. Sort of like me and Brad Pitt. I don't remember how old most of the other fish are but I assume they average 5 or 6 with some of them approaching 16 or so.

I am not to excited that most of my fish live for their normal lifespan but I am proud of the fish that are considered difficult that live a long time. Fish like bluestripe pipefish, copperbands and clown gobies. I am also very proud that all my paired fish are spawning as I consider that success. I am also happy that at this point in my life I have found the secret that allows my fish to live their full lifespan. It took me fifty years and I think I now have it right. The bottle of copper/formalin I have from the 70s I can probably throw out as I have not needed it in I don't remember how long. It was made in Brooklyn. Actually I still use it when I get a fish for practically free because it is covered in parasites and the store owner knows it will die. Those are my favorite fish.

Nice and so very true

BTW who is publishing the book Paul ? Have not seen any announcements for it yet .....

Albert

I love DIY. My problem is I don't have *TIME* to build many things myself.

Here's an example: I was creating a hot/cold temp controller using one of those dirt cheap chinese thermostats.

Here's what I created:

00gjyYN.jpg

I didn't have time to build a pretty box or do the research to make it compact and attactive. So when I saw someone made a nice package for $40 for basically the same thing, I bought it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364817-fs-low-cost-temperature-controllers-40-shipped10-left/

It's nicely put together, it was only $40, and of much better quality than what I was making.

Here it is on my desk. I haven't put it to use yet:

jF1fWTK.jpg

nice job

Albert

My latest project on my Aqua Reef 3000 completed today was to remove both the baffles to the sumps pre-filter and install a BM sock holder. I moved the sump 15mm over from the right (previously I had moved the sump over to the far left hard up against the cabinet side) so I could fit a BM filter sock holder over the edge of the sump glass. The pic is how I now have the sock and holder installed. I may extend the flexible white pipe going into the sock a little so the water exits below the waterline to reduce noise but in truth it's not that noisy anyway. Now there is no chance of the filter sock overflowing and possible flooding over the edge of the sump as has happened once before. There is also more room in the what now is the extended first compartment. I have had easier jobs to do removing baffles but it has been well worth it. Also it is easier to remove the filter sock for cleaning etc. All in all a very worth while mod IMO.20150925_131914_zps67h3xtnf.jpg

• Like 1

Very nicely done Les

Albert

Cutting the last glass baffle out was a right PITA I can tell you. So little space to get your hand in witha craft knife but perseverance got it in the end.

• Like 1

Cutting the last glass baffle out was a right PITA I can tell you. So little space to get your hand in witha craft knife but perseverance got it in the end.

Yes I can imagine Les but hey you got it done. Power to you

Albert

• Like 1
I am currently trying out my 2 sock holders in my newly modded sump after removing the prefilter baffles.I have had these quite some time that I used on previous tanks but they don't fit the AR300 sump unless you remove the glass baffles as i have done today and as per my other thread. I have the BM one and one with the arm that opens out (don't know it's maker). So far I think the BM one I believe is better.

I have compared them as follows.

First the BM one. More sturdily built, no plastic screws to clamp on the glass with the swinging arm one. The opening at the front to help facilitate sock removal is a bit limiting but real big.deal. the ring holder sits about 2"down from the sump edge when in place.

OK now the Swinging arm one. Thin plastic and does not feel as well made. Has 3 plastic screws to secure to the sump glass. I have had to pack it with a bit of 4mm glass or the thin plastic bends away from the glass edge of the sump. The whole holder is a bit bendy. The arm swings out the wrong way for my AR sump and swings towards the sump back instead of to the front so it would be better for a sump with the sock on the right hand side of the sump not on the left as my AR sump is

IMO the BM one is probably the better bet all things considered. I have however glued some 6mm glas to it to reduce the 12mm wide hangon gap to make a snugger fit in the sump edge.

20150925_131914_zps67h3xtnf.jpg

20150925_165211_zpsi6ksylbp.jpg

• Like 1

I am currently trying out my 2 sock holders in my newly modded sump after removing the prefilter baffles.I have had these quite some time that I used on previous tanks but they don't fit the AR300 sump unless you remove the glass baffles as i have done today and as per my other thread. I have the BM one and one with the arm that opens out (don't know it's maker). So far I think the BM one I believe is better.
I have compared them as follows.
First the BM one. More sturdily built, no plastic screws to clamp on the glass with the swinging arm one. The opening at the front to help facilitate sock removal is a bit limiting but real big.deal. the ring holder sits about 2"down from the sump edge when in place.
OK now the Swinging arm one. Thin plastic and does not feel as well made. Has 3 plastic screws to secure to the sump glass. I have had to pack it with a bit of 4mm glass or the thin plastic bends away from the glass edge of the sump. The whole holder is a bit bendy. The arm swings out the wrong way for my AR sump and swings towards the sump back instead of to the front so it would be better for a sump with the sock on the right hand side of the sump not on the left as my AR sump is
IMO the BM one is probably the better bet all things considered. I have however glued some 6mm glas to it to reduce the 12mm wide hangon gap to make a snugger fit in the sump edge.
20150925_131914_zps67h3xtnf.jpg
20150925_165211_zpsi6ksylbp.jpg

Nice work Less

Albert

• Like 1

My book just came out five minutes ago. OK, maybe six. I am not as good a writer as Albert as I have and has read his book. My book is a lot different. But here it is. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/avant-garde-marine-aquarist/

But not to the UK or will it be? Maybe have to wait to get the E version but being old schoolI like the feel of paper between my fingers :(

• Like 1

I am not sure how the paperback gets to England, I guess it just has to be mailed like anything else. I don't think they can electronically send a paperback book because that would be like beaming like on Star Trek. You could get the E Book and print it. It is about 220 pages so it will take a lot of ink. :wacko:

• Like 1

I am not sure how the paperback gets to England, I guess it just has to be mailed like anything else. I don't think they can electronically send a paperback book because that would be like beaming like on Star Trek. You could get the E Book and print it. It is about 220 pages so it will take a lot of ink. :wacko:

:)

Albert

What a beautiful morning. Of course first I had to go to the oral surgeon so he could poke and prod the large hole in my jaw where my wisdom tooth was because it was feeling good. Now, not so much, but that's the way it is. But it is a beautiful day so I will be going boating. You know when you walk your dog and you find a stick and throw it and your dog brings it back and has that smile on his face. So you know he really likes that stick and you bring it home? Then when you take him for a walk you throw it out your front door for him to get it. I do that all the time, but I never had a dog so the neighbors are complaining at all the sticks on my sidewalk. I just thought I would share that with you.

• Like 4

What a beautiful morning. Of course first I had to go to the oral surgeon so he could poke and prod the large hole in my jaw where my wisdom tooth was because it was feeling good. Now, not so much, but that's the way it is. But it is a beautiful day so I will be going boating. You know when you walk your dog and you find a stick and throw it and your dog brings it back and has that smile on his face. So you know he really likes that stick and you bring it home? Then when you take him for a walk you throw it out your front door for him to get it. I do that all the time, but I never had a dog so the neighbors are complaining at all the sticks on my sidewalk. I just thought I would share that with you.

:) :) :)

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

My book is doing well so I may write another one,,, But if I do,,, I will have a Ghost Writer do it because after all, ,It's almost Halloween. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a plan Paul

Albert

I just added this anthias which I think is kind of cool. I had to many fish before so now I "really" have to many fish. They have to take turns putting their faces in the water.
2015-10-09%2012.45.23_zpsqu5xotrr.jpg

• Like 3