inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

I added this marine Betta today. I took his picture while I was acclimating him because now that he is in my tank, I doubt I will ever see the entire fish again as they are hiders.

2015-06-29%2010.55.15_zpsctxuxpzz.jpg

Nice good luck with that carnivore

You should see him during the night when the lights are out for a while IME

Albert

He loves blackworms just like everything does. Hopefully he will eat some clams also. I think he will.

I am used to having fish I never see. I once had a cusk eel for 18 years and never saw it unless I searched at night with a flashlight. I am just happy he is in there, weather I see him or not is immaterial.

• Like 1
albertthiel

He loves blackworms just like everything does. Hopefully he will eat some clams also. I think he will.

I am used to having fish I never see. I once had a cusk eel for 18 years and never saw it unless I searched at night with a flashlight. I am just happy he is in there, weather I see him or not is immaterial.

Yes you may have to do the same to see this one :)

Albert

Here is a question. How much if any does temperature affect the performance of a skimmer? We are experiencing a mini heat wave here in the UK and I have noticed my skimmer is producing more skimmate. Coincidence maybe? Temp of my tank has risen 1c and I have a bank of six small fans connected to a JBL cool control thermostat or it would be higher. .

• Like 1

I just came back from collecting 30 gallons of NSW and I would swear this stuff gets heavier every time I collect it. Normally I don't do much to it except heat it and add a little ASW because the salinity here in New York is low for some reason but it is very turbid with all sorts of black particles in it so I had to diatom filter it. I only had a very little bit of diatom powder on hand so I didn't do as good a job as I would have liked but now it is crystal clear and I am just waiting for it to heat up before I dump it in. I even checked the nitrates and they are zero, calcium is 440.

I took it from the Coast Guard Station near Jones Beach. Near here.

Montauk009.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Here is a question. How much if any does temperature affect the performance of a skimmer? We are experiencing a mini heat wave here in the UK and I have noticed my skimmer is producing more skimmate. Coincidence maybe? Temp of my tank has risen 1c and I have a bank of six small fans connected to a JBL cool control thermostat or it would be higher. .

I have not observed that phenomenon Les

Albert

I just came back from collecting 30 gallons of NSW and I would swear this stuff gets heavier every time I collect it. Normally I don't do much to it except heat it and add a little ASW because the salinity here in New York is low for some reason but it is very turbid with all sorts of black particles in it so I had to diatom filter it. I only had a very little bit of diatom powder on hand so I didn't do as good a job as I would have liked but now it is crystal clear and I am just waiting for it to heat up before I dump it in. I even checked the nitrates and they are zero, calcium is 440.

I took it from the Coast Guard Station near Jones Beach. Near here.

Montauk009.jpg

Wonder what those black particles are Paul and good that you got them out with your Diatom filter

Albert

albertthiel

I don't know, but the water looks scurvier than normal. I am even a little hesitant to use it, but being I am a Man, I will go for it

Keep us posted then Paul

Albert

Snow_Phoenix

Hi Albert - I just read one of your articles regarding fish compatibilities in Nano Reef setups.

In the article on nanoreefblogs, you stated that sometimes multiple blennies can be introduced in a fairly large setup, provided that there are adequate hiding/perching spots and the blennies are introduced at the same time.

I have a Tailspot in my QT at the moment, and when I picked him up from the store, he was in a tank with a Midas and another similar shaped goby but didn't mind either of them, which is why I chose to bring him back home.

I was wondering if it's possible to include two clown blennies - one Tailspot blenny and one Pictus blenny into a mixed reef tank larger than 30G++ at the same time?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert - I just read one of your articles regarding fish compatibilities in Nano Reef setups.

In the article on nanoreefblogs, you stated that sometimes multiple blennies can be introduced in a fairly large setup, provided that there are adequate hiding/perching spots and the blennies are introduced at the same time.

I have a Tailspot in my QT at the moment, and when I picked him up from the store, he was in a tank with a Midas and another similar shaped goby but didn't mind either of them, which is why I chose to bring him back home.

I was wondering if it's possible to include two clown blennies - one Tailspot blenny and one Pictus blenny into a mixed reef tank larger than 30G++ at the same time?

IMHO that seems like of lot of blennies in the same tank even if it is 30++ gallons

Albert

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

IMHO that seems like of lot of blennies in the same tank even if it is 30++ gallons

Albert

Oh no - I meant the tank I'm planning to put them in will have no other blenny except themselves (1 tailspot and 1 pictus). The tank in the LFS had three blennies in a single holding tank - 1 tailspot (now mine), 1 midas and another unknown blenny. :)

So it's not going to be four blennies lol - just 2 small ones. :)

• Like 1

Albert

+1

Oh no - I meant the tank I'm planning to put them in will have no other blenny except themselves (1 tailspot and 1 pictus). The tank in the LFS had three blennies in a single holding tank - 1 tailspot (now mine), 1 midas and another unknown blenny. :)

IMO Midas blennies can be a little aggressive, Mine is boss of the tank, I only have one other blenny in there an algae blenny which it used to chase but the algae blenny takes no nonsense from it. Not sure how it would be with other blennies esp smaller and in the same competition for food.

• Like 1
albertthiel

That sounds much better and should be ok

Albert

Been trial and error DIYing today and built this small waterfall scrubber. So far the water seems well spread across the screen. I go the idea from here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS24...ist=WL&index=6
I have used an A5 leaflet holder as it is the biggest I can accommodate in my Aqua Reef 300 sump.
20150704_200809_zpsxwncg1ql.jpg
I used a small powerhead I had surplus to feed it and I have ordered this light to power it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2913996713...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have also ordered some mirror plastic to attach to the back of the holder in the hope some light will be reflected back against the rear of the screen to get some algae growing there but not sure it will relect enough to be of use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1216498197...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2
albertthiel

Been trial and error DIYing today and built this small waterfall scrubber. So far the water seems well spread across the screen. I go the idea from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS24...ist=WL&index=6

I have used an A5 leaflet holder as it is the biggest I can accommodate in my Aqua Reef 300 sump.

20150704_200809_zpsxwncg1ql.jpg

I used a small powerhead I had surplus to feed it and I have ordered this light to power it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2913996713...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have also ordered some mirror plastic to attach to the back of the holder in the hope some light will be reflected back against the rear of the screen to get some algae growing there but not sure it will relect enough to be of use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1216498197...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice set up Les

Albert

Last night was the best fireworks display for me personally (since the By Centinial)

We were anchored out in a bay in the Long Island Sound about 100 yards from the fireworks barge so they exploded over our heads. Our closest, life long friends were with us, But the best part is that from there, we could see Manhattan, Queens the Bronx, Connecticut and Long island so we were completely surrounded by fireworks besides the ones over our heads. At the end I blasted "God Bless America" and all the boats blow their horns. There were quite a few boats and thousands of spectators on the shores. Of course I got stopped by the Coast Guard on my way beck because one of my navigation lights went out, but I replaced the bulb in a few minutes and all is well. I hope everyone had a great time.

Fireworks%202015_zpso9fdm54d.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Last night was the best fireworks display for me personally (since the By Centinial)

We were anchored out in a bay in the Long Island Sound about 100 yards from the fireworks barge so they exploded over our heads. Our closest, life long friends were with us, But the best part is that from there, we could see Manhattan, Queens the Bronx, Connecticut and Long island so we were completely surrounded by fireworks besides the ones over our heads. At the end I blasted "God Bless America" and all the boats blow their horns. There were quite a few boats and thousands of spectators on the shores. Of course I got stopped by the Coast Guard on my way beck because one of my navigation lights went out, but I replaced the bulb in a few minutes and all is well. I hope everyone had a great time.

Fireworks%202015_zpso9fdm54d.jpg

That must have been a super experience Paul

Albert

I don't have the nicest tank on here.
I don't have the nicest of a lot of things, but I don't care because they are nice enough for me.
I don't have the most difficult corals on here, but it is not my purpose to have that.
I don't have the most interesting fish on here, but they are interesting enough for me.
I have no ideas what my parameters are. I assume my corals know and they seem fine.
I don't have any controllers or dosers. Don't want any.
I don't have any test kits. If I want something tested, I take It to a LFS. They like doing that.
I don't have the largest tank on here. It's a perfect size for me.
My lights are way underpowered. I don't care and so far, neither do the corals.
I don't have a sump. I would, but they were not invented in the 70s
I don't use any reactors, GFO, GAC, ABC, Doh Ray Me, or bio pellets.
I don't use Rowafas.
Don't have a DSB, SSB, or BB.
I don't use Purple Up, Marine Snow or almost anything else and I don't want to.
I have to many fish, they don't seem to mind the crowd.
I have to many Pod eaters, they send out for Pizza.
I am jealous of some tanks on here, but I will get over it.
I don't have the most hair and I am far from the best looking on here. My wife likes me.
I don't change much water, but I assume I change enough.
I have plenty of iron and stainless steel in my tank. Is that scary to anyone?
I sometimes feed my fish Plaster of Paris with some minerals mixed in. Am I bad?
I used copper for years in my tank and never changed the rocks or gravel.
I have never dated a Supermodel but I did date some beautiful girls. Also some plainer ones.
I use dolomite for the substrait, ever heard of that?
My wireing is probably some of the sloppiest on here. And I am an electrician.
I am impressed by some of the skill on here with spawning hard fish.
I am impressed by creativity, but not by degrees unless they are on a thermometer.
Right now I am embarassed to say I have a fever, which is a Sissy disease and I may have to revoke my Man card. Fevers are so yesterday and Sissy Mary like. Maybe I am halucinating which is why I wrote this useless thread.

Its a hobby, enjoy it for yourself, no one else
I am finished, and I am old, There is no purpose to this post that I know of

• Like 3
albertthiel

I don't have the nicest tank on here.

I don't have the nicest of a lot of things, but I don't care because they are nice enough for me.

I don't have the most difficult corals on here, but it is not my purpose to have that.

I don't have the most interesting fish on here, but they are interesting enough for me.

I have no ideas what my parameters are. I assume my corals know and they seem fine.

I don't have any controllers or dosers. Don't want any.

I don't have any test kits. If I want something tested, I take It to a LFS. They like doing that.

I don't have the largest tank on here. It's a perfect size for me.

My lights are way underpowered. I don't care and so far, neither do the corals.

I don't have a sump. I would, but they were not invented in the 70s

I don't use any reactors, GFO, GAC, ABC, Doh Ray Me, or bio pellets.

I don't use Rowafas.

Don't have a DSB, SSB, or BB.

I don't use Purple Up, Marine Snow or almost anything else and I don't want to.

I have to many fish, they don't seem to mind the crowd.

I have to many Pod eaters, they send out for Pizza.

I am jealous of some tanks on here, but I will get over it.

I don't have the most hair and I am far from the best looking on here. My wife likes me.

I don't change much water, but I assume I change enough.

I have plenty of iron and stainless steel in my tank. Is that scary to anyone?

I sometimes feed my fish Plaster of Paris with some minerals mixed in. Am I bad?

I used copper for years in my tank and never changed the rocks or gravel.

I have never dated a Supermodel but I did date some beautiful girls. Also some plainer ones.

I use dolomite for the substrait, ever heard of that?

My wireing is probably some of the sloppiest on here. And I am an electrician.

I am impressed by some of the skill on here with spawning hard fish.

I am impressed by creativity, but not by degrees unless they are on a thermometer.

Right now I am embarassed to say I have a fever, which is a Sissy disease and I may have to revoke my Man card. Fevers are so yesterday and Sissy Mary like. Maybe I am halucinating which is why I wrote this useless thread.

Its a hobby, enjoy it for yourself, no one else

I am finished, and I am old, There is no purpose to this post that I know of

But regardless of all of that your tank is doing super well !

Albert