Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

What's the story with that feeder? I've never seen one like that before.

It is described in my book Nano Reef Aquariums but I am sure Paul will give you some more info

Albert

Hey Albert, I'm experiencing some brown jelly on a recently added wall type E. Divisa and I'm super bummed. As of last night it was only about the size of a dime but I'm freaking out.

I've read through some of your writings (http://www.athiel.com/lib/vitC496.html and http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html) which recommend dosing Vitamin C at theraputic levels as part of treatment (in addition to removing slime, more flow, iodine dips, and water changes). Is there any new information out there that either you have written or another reputable source?

Can you (or anyone else knowledgeable on the matter) tell me what their source of Vitamin C is? I would imagine the supplements you buy at the drug store aren't ideal - but I fear I don't have the time to wait for a package delivery.

Here's the thread I created on the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm picking up whatever form of iodine I can find at the pharmacy tonight.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360096-brown-jelly-on-e-divisa-super-pissed-off/

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hey Albert, I'm experiencing some brown jelly on a recently added wall type E. Divisa and I'm super bummed. As of last night it was only about the size of a dime but I'm freaking out.

I've read through some of your writings (http://www.athiel.com/lib/vitC496.html and http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html) which recommend dosing Vitamin C at theraputic levels as part of treatment (in addition to removing slime, more flow, iodine dips, and water changes). Is there any new information out there that either you have written or another reputable source?

Can you (or anyone else knowledgeable on the matter) tell me what their source of Vitamin C is? I would imagine the supplements you buy at the drug store aren't ideal - but I fear I don't have the time to wait for a package delivery.

Here's the thread I created on the issue, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm picking up whatever form of iodine I can find at the pharmacy tonight.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/360096-brown-jelly-on-e-divisa-super-pissed-off/

The info in the articles is still applicable ..

You need pure vitamin C powder and not the OTC supplements as there are too many other ingredients in them

A pharmacy should have the powder available but you may need a script (not sure nowadays but when I was buying it I did need one)

Albert

• Like 1

The info in the articles is still applicable ..

You need pure vitamin C powder and not the OTC supplements as there are too many other ingredients in them

A pharmacy should have the powder available but you may need a script (not sure nowadays but when I was buying it I did need one)

Albert

Thanks for the confirmation and the suggestion to check a pharmacy for pure vitamin C powder. Maybe I'll try an independent pharmacy vs. the typical walgreens/cvs... Also I'm seeing a possibility that Trader Joes has a crystallized pure ascorbic acid product.

Admittedly all that's on my mind right now is saving my coral, but as a prophylactic it's piqued my interest as well.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks for the confirmation and the suggestion to check a pharmacy for pure vitamin C powder. Maybe I'll try an independent pharmacy vs. the typical walgreens/cvs... Also I'm seeing a possibility that Trader Joes has a crystallized pure ascorbic acid product.

Admittedly all that's on my mind right now is saving my coral, but as a prophylactic it's piqued my interest as well.

Yes agreed the main goal is to save the coral but getting the pure C is a good idea as you point out as a preventative and curative purpose

I used to get mine from Willner Chemists/Pharmacy in NYC who sells the 100 % powder

Albert

These guys spawned last night which I am happy about, but she still looks pregnant so I assume they will spawn again. Or it could be that they just look like they are spawning and she is not ready. It's hard to tell because they are much smaller than mandarins and I never had these spawn before. I actually thought they were to young as I didn't know they stay this small. Ruby Red dragonets haven't been in the hobby very long. I can't get a picture of them spawning as it only takes them a few seconds and by the time I get the camera, they are back to eating pods. I will try again tonight. They spawn just before the lights go off, but I am not sure how they know the lights are going off because they can't see the clock. The bluestripe pipefish is still pregnant but he will have his babies live.

2015-04-08%2018.37.42_zpsy48dky5q.jpg

2015-03-19%2011.20.42_zpsgct2kilm.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

These guys spawned last night which I am happy about, but she still looks pregnant so I assume they will spawn again. Or it could be that they just look like they are spawning and she is not ready. It's hard to tell because they are much smaller than mandarins and I never had these spawn before. I actually thought they were to young as I didn't know they stay this small. Ruby Red dragonets haven't been in the hobby very long. I can't get a picture of them spawning as it only takes them a few seconds and by the time I get the camera, they are back to eating pods. I will try again tonight. They spawn just before the lights go off, but I am not sure how they know the lights are going off because they can't see the clock. The bluestripe pipefish is still pregnant but he will have his babies live.

2015-04-08%2018.37.42_zpsy48dky5q.jpg

2015-03-19%2011.20.42_zpsgct2kilm.jpg

Very nice Paul ... hope you see some fry one of these days ... and on another note that feeder does work wonders for your fishes that is for sure

Albert

• Like 1

Without that feeder I couldn't keep mandarins, ruby reds and bluestripe pipefish much less spawn them. I also built a white worm feeder for my mandarin so after he gets full on the baby brine shrimp feeder, he goes into the worm feeder for desert. The ruby reds also go in there when the much larger mandarin leaves.

2015-04-20%2013.41.12_zpsofo4p0zr.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

Without that feeder I couldn't keep mandarins, ruby reds and bluestripe pipefish much less spawn them. I also built a white worm feeder for my mandarin so after he gets full on the baby brine shrimp feeder, he goes into the worm feeder for desert. The ruby reds also go in there when the much larger mandarin leaves.

2015-04-20%2013.41.12_zpsofo4p0zr.jpg

Nice feeder. Different design for sure Paul so glad to read it does the trick and that your fish love it

Albert

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OOps I posted the following on the wrong thread. Old age I guess. :(

Small modification today. I turned my Deltec skimmer round 180degrees then extended the outlet from my Deltec reactor so the bacteria created by the pellets is discharged at the input of the skimmers pump. I honestly don't expect it to make much difference to be honest but most "experts" suggest you should do this with the output of a pellet reactor.

20150526_124628_zpsftywg5hj.jpg

I slashed cut the end of the pipe in an effort to channel most of the reactors output into the skimmer pumps uptake.

• Like 1
albertthiel

OOps I posted the following on the wrong thread. Old age I guess. :(

Small modification today. I turned my Deltec skimmer round 180degrees then extended the outlet from my Deltec reactor so the bacteria created by the pellets is discharged at the input of the skimmers pump. I honestly don't expect it to make much difference to be honest but most "experts" suggest you should do this with the output of a pellet reactor.

20150526_124628_zpsftywg5hj.jpg

I slashed cut the end of the pipe in an effort to channel most of the reactors output into the skimmer pumps uptake.

Hope that works better for you Les

Am working on a better idea for the pipe to the skimmer pumps inlet but I have very little room to play with. .

I can see that

Albert

Mark 2 reactor outlet. Much better with the ouput from my Deltec pellet reactor going straight into the Deltec skimmer pump inlet.

20150527_131319_zpsqtq9ocee.jpg

• Like 1

I read through this thread often- never ask questions but I like to just see whats going on in the hobby. Just wanted to say thanks for the energy and time you put into this Albert.

Very awesome of you.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Mark 2 reactor outlet. Much better with the ouput from my Deltec pellet reactor going straight into the Deltec skimmer pump inlet.

20150527_131319_zpsqtq9ocee.jpg

Looking good Les. Keep us posted on how that works for your tank

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I read through this thread often- never ask questions but I like to just see whats going on in the hobby. Just wanted to say thanks for the energy and time you put into this Albert.

Very awesome of you.

Thanks you very kindly uwdanno

Albert

• Like 1

Just completed my Mk3 version of the reactor/skimmer pump inlet mod. I cut down a pipe Tee piece connector so there is an open end to balance the inlet between the reactor outlet, pump inlet and to allow water in the sump to enter the skimmer. I found that putting the reactor outlet directly into the skimmer pump inlet that the water in my skimmer body dropped and I had to adjust the skimmer which is not ideal. This way it's balanced between the reactor outlet and the water in the sump. I think this may prove to be the best configuration we shall see but the water in the skimmer body is back where it was.

20150527_160450_zpskp33hn4s.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Just completed my Mk3 version of the reactor/skimmer pump inlet mod. I cut down a pipe Tee piece connector so there is an open end to balance the inlet between the reactor outlet, pump inlet and to allow water in the sump to enter the skimmer. I found that putting the reactor outlet directly into the skimmer pump inlet that the water in my skimmer body dropped and I had to adjust the skimmer which is not ideal. This way it's balanced between the reactor outlet and the water in the sump. I think this may prove to be the best configuration we shall see but the water in the skimmer body is back where it was.

20150527_160450_zpskp33hn4s.jpg

Looks better indeed Les

We will see how it does as time goes on I guess

Albert

• Like 1