Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

No kidding.

Soon I expect to see packets of live bacteria to target specific nutrients/pollutants that we simply add to the tank. We already have preserved nitrobacter and related, so why not?

• Like 1

Albert we need to find out what bacteria and how can we culture it to use in our aquariums.

Yes sure do ... that would be a nice step forward indeed

Albert

No kidding.

Soon I expect to see packets of live bacteria to target specific nutrients/pollutants that we simply add to the tank. We already have preserved nitrobacter and related, so why not?

That would be nice indeed but not too sure who would be willing to invest in the research needed to culture them in captivity

Albert

• Like 1

Once the species is identified, the rest is just details. ;)

Yes I know but figuring out how the grow them in captivity would IMO be a very expensive propostion

Albert

Am waiting on a 25mm (1") inline tap to go between my return pump and the return to the tank. O already have a 25mm tee and a reducer to 16mm to tee off to my Deltec reactor but need to fit the tap first above the tee. That's it then my tank is finished and ready for a few more SPS frags. I will take a pic of my sump with it all running when finished. The Gyre is doing a good job and I am very pleased with it. I bought a red scooter Dragonet on Monday a male I think (hope) to go with my other I already had. They are showing off to one another but are still a bit immature yet to be sure they are a male and female but it's looking good with no aggression.

Am waiting on a 25mm (1") inline tap to go between my return pump and the return to the tank. O already have a 25mm tee and a reducer to 16mm to tee off to my Deltec reactor but need to fit the tap first above the tee. That's it then my tank is finished and ready for a few more SPS frags. I will take a pic of my sump with it all running when finished. The Gyre is doing a good job and I am very pleased with it. I bought a red scooter Dragonet on Monday a male I think (hope) to go with my other I already had. They are showing off to one another but are still a bit immature yet to be sure they are a male and female but it's looking good with no aggression.

Well it looks like you are getting near to completing the set up Les

Just about finished my sump mods this afternoon. I put a tap from the pump a Jebao6000 to the tank, a tee off just below the tap to my Deltec reactor. I will probably remove my BM 70 mini reactor and use the Deltec instead. I also fitted a ball valve on the tank to sump pipe and fitted a filter sock. I also blocked off a section of the first divider in the middle section of the sump to reduce water going through the Siporax which I have in an egg crate box situated behind the BM Curve5 skimmer.

20150227_172857_zpsingl80ys.jpg

• Like 1

Just about finished my sump mods this afternoon. I put a tap from the pump a Jebao6000 to the tank, a tee off just below the tap to my Deltec reactor. I will probably remove my BM 70 mini reactor and use the Deltec instead. I also fitted a ball valve on the tank to sump pipe and fitted a filter sock. I also blocked off a section of the first divider in the middle section of the sump to reduce water going through the Siporax which I have in an egg crate box situated behind the BM Curve5 skimmer.

20150227_172857_zpsingl80ys.jpg

Well you sure are thinking this through and adjusting things as you go along to get the maximum benefit from all the devices you have in your possession

I like !!!

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. As you know I have been messing about with sump design etc for many years this being about my 10th in all. By removing the BM mini 70 reactor and using the Deltec outside the sump it will give me more room in the sump chamber and do away with a pump the one on the BM reactor. My return pump being DC has 10 levels of adjustment so all I would need to do is turn it up a little to feed the Deltec recator. I might swap my BM Curve 5 skimmer for a Deltec SC1350 that I have been offered cheaply. I do like Deltec skimmers I have to say and this one is just 9 months old. The guy selling it is upgrading. I know I said I would have to stop spending but I have just sold my 2' cube which would more than pay for this skimmer. The Deltec is a better skimmer than the BM however. What to do what to do????????

• Like 1

These razor shrimpfish I added are extreamly cool but I doubt they will live long. They eat very well but only live new born brine shrimp and for the last two months there has been a problem with brine shrimp eggs. They are very hard to find and the ones I have have a very low hatch rate so I am using 4 or 5 times more than normal and still can't get a good hatch of shrimp. I also have a few pipefish, mandarins and ruby red dragonettes that rely on shrimp so this may be a problem. I even ordered them on line a wek ago and they are not supposed to get here for 2 more weeks. My selection of fish depends on new born brine shrimp but there must be a problem with them at the collection site.

2015-02-26%2014.27.46_zpsczgcsp3q.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. As you know I have been messing about with sump design etc for many years this being about my 10th in all. By removing the BM mini 70 reactor and using the Deltec outside the sump it will give me more room in the sump chamber and do away with a pump the one on the BM reactor. My return pump being DC has 10 levels of adjustment so all I would need to do is turn it up a little to feed the Deltec recator. I might swap my BM Curve 5 skimmer for a Deltec SC1350 that I have been offered cheaply. I do like Deltec skimmers I have to say and this one is just 9 months old. The guy selling it is upgrading. I know I said I would have to stop spending but I have just sold my 2' cube which would more than pay for this skimmer. The Deltec is a better skimmer than the BM however. What to do what to do????????

Yes indeed I know you have and when one does all of that decisions that are not always easy to make have to be made as you well know.

I think based on your years of experience Les that you have to go with what you think will work best using what you know as the guideline, and you know a lot !!!

So I think you will figure out the right thing to do

Albert

• Like 1

These razor shrimpfish I added are extreamly cool but I doubt they will live long. They eat very well but only live new born brine shrimp and for the last two months there has been a problem with brine shrimp eggs. They are very hard to find and the ones I have have a very low hatch rate so I am using 4 or 5 times more than normal and still can't get a good hatch of shrimp. I also have a few pipefish, mandarins and ruby red dragonettes that rely on shrimp so this may be a problem. I even ordered them on line a wek ago and they are not supposed to get here for 2 more weeks. My selection of fish depends on new born brine shrimp but there must be a problem with them at the collection site.

2015-02-26%2014.27.46_zpsczgcsp3q.jpg

Wow that is or could be a problem indeed Paul

Wonder why the hatch rate is so low suddenly as I don't think you have experienced that before

And yes I know that I lot of your fish are dependent on freshly hatched Brine Shrimp so that is not good.

Hope you can find some good batches very soon

Albert

I know I said my sump was all but finished (that is m get out clause lol) However I bought this Deltec FR 509 reactor for a bargain price a couple of weeks back. I just needed a 1" tee and a 1" to 1/2" reducer to tee off the return and connect to the reactor. Today it all came together and I removed my BM mini 70 reactor and replaced it with the Deltec.I transferred the bio pellets over from the BM to the Deltc. I didn't even need to turn up my Jebao3000 pump so I have one less pump running and more space in the sump where the return pump sits.

Here is a pic of the Deltec installed.

20150228_152643_zpsa463ps7q.jpg

• Like 1

I know I said my sump was all but finished (that is m get out clause lol) However I bought this Deltec FR 509 reactor for a bargain price a couple of weeks back. I just needed a 1" tee and a 1" to 1/2" reducer to tee off the return and connect to the reactor. Today it all came together and I removed my BM mini 70 reactor and replaced it with the Deltec.I transferred the bio pellets over from the BM to the Deltc. I didn't even need to turn up my Jebao3000 pump so I have one less pump running and more space in the sump where the return pump sits.

Here is a pic of the Deltec installed.

20150228_152643_zpsa463ps7q.jpg

Looking good Les and getting pretty sophisticated a set up for sure

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. The Deltec fluidizes the pellets far better than the BM reactor did. Now to decide on the Deltec skimmer I have been offered v the BM skimmer. I must admit I am drawn to the Deltec as it's a very good skimmer and better than the BM one I have. Like I said prevuisly and having owned a number of Deltec skimmers I do like them.

• Like 1

Thanks Albert. The Deltec fluidizes the pellets far better than the BM reactor did. Now to decide on the Deltec skimmer I have been offered v the BM skimmer. I must admit I am drawn to the Deltec as it's a very good skimmer and better than the BM one I have. Like I said prevuisly and having owned a number of Deltec skimmers I do like them.

Glad to read that the Deltic is fluidizing the pellets better than the BM

And on the skimmer go with what you "feel" is best .. it seems that you are leaning towards the Deltec for that too so go for it Les

Albert

• Like 1