Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Thank you so much! I'll be making the switch next week when the new 34g tank arrives. I'll update you once complete.

Thanks for letting me know and all the best with the move

Albert

Thank you for your input. It is good to get confirmation from an expert. I'll update you once the transition is made next weekend.

Thanks and yes do keep us posted here

I appreciate it

Albert

My tank was supposed to be a room divider and that is why I bought it, but the room ended up to be to small and I didn't want to buyanew house as I just moved into it that day.

• Like 2

My tank was supposed to be a room divider and that is why I bought it, but the room ended up to be to small and I didn't want to buyanew house as I just moved into it that day.

I would say that was the right decision Paul

:)

Albert

Partially Submerged

Beautiful. This question has probably been asked before, but is there a jellyfish aquarium kit that you can recommend? The one by Jellyfish Art is really small, and the one sold by Sunset Marine Labs outrageously expensive. Are there alternatives (other than DYI), or would it be better to wait a few more years?

• Like 1

Beautiful. This question has probably been asked before, but is there a jellyfish aquarium kit that you can recommend? The one by Jellyfish Art is really small, and the one sold by Sunset Marine Labs outrageously expensive. Are there alternatives (other than DYI), or would it be better to wait a few more years?

Mine is the Desktop version by Jellyfishart which holds 6 gallons and is fine for up to 5 Jellies but in my tank they are already fairly large so I keep it to 4 of them.

I have seen that same tank version being advertised for $285.00 up to $325.00, including the Jellies and airpump etc. but the prices seem to vary depending on the reseller. And yes the other one is indeed quite pricey ...

I have not come across a lesser expensive larger one than mine so a DIY would be the only way to accomplish that IMO. It would not be that difficult to do as long as you research how to build a Kreisel type aquarium.

Hope this helps ...

Albert

• Like 1

Well this is the day and soon the big swap over will begin.2' cube to Aquareef 300. Plenty of new salt water up to temp. lots of empty vessels to put corals and fish into. Help will be here within the 1/2 hour. Then let the fun begin.

• Like 1

Well this is the day and soon the big swap over will begin.2' cube to Aquareef 300. Plenty of new salt water up to temp. lots of empty vessels to put corals and fish into. Help will be here within the 1/2 hour. Then let the fun begin.

Indeed let the fun begin Les and all the best with the move and upgrade

Albert

• Like 1

I want to wish everyone in the North East all the best when the nasty snow storm hits and hope you and your families and your tanks will be SAFE

Albert

• Like 1
Partially Submerged

Mine is the Desktop version by Jellyfishart which holds 6 gallons and is fine for up to 5 Jellies but in my tank they are already fairly large so I keep it to 4 of them.

I have seen that same tank version being advertised for $285.00 up to $325.00, including the Jellies and airpump etc. but the prices seem to vary depending on the reseller. And yes the other one is indeed quite pricey ...

I have not come across a lesser expensive larger one than mine so a DIY would be the only way to accomplish that IMO. It would not be that difficult to do as long as you research how to build a Kreisel type aquarium.

Hope this helps ...

Albert

It does, thank you. So the Jellyfishart tanks really work? I have a hard time seeing them as anything but a gimmick, but that's probably because they've received so much coverage as novelty/lifestyle items.

• Like 2

I does, thank you. So the Jellyfishart tanks really work? I have a hard time seeing them as anything but a gimmick, but that's probably because they've received so much coverage as novelty/lifestyle items.

Yes do work at least certainly in my case and with the proper care for the water quality.

I have not had any issue at all although I agree that some improvements could be made to that tank but they are easily dealt with without too much difficulty (cleaning the bottom mainly which requires removing the Jellies to a temporary container). But they are hardy enough to be able to remain in there for the time required to clean the tank and even more if needed. I usually leave mine in there for 30 to 45 minutes without any ill effects.

If you consider it like it would be a Nano then basically you are doing similar maintenance

Albert

• Like 2

Tank swap over went without a hitch apart from one missing wrasse which I hope is just hiding and may appear in a few days. Here is a pic of the tank taken soon after all the rock, critters and fish went in. Bit murky then but clearing.

20150126_1826241_zpsb2e4b7cc.jpg

I need a bit more rock to build a tower on the far right

• Like 1

Tank swap over went without a hitch apart from one missing wrasse which I hope is just hiding and may appear in a few days. Here is a pic of the tank taken soon after all the rock, critters and fish went in. Bit murky then but clearing.

20150126_1826241_zpsb2e4b7cc.jpg

I need a bit more rock to build a tower on the far right

Looking good Les and I am sure the wrasse will turn up

That must have been some job getting the tank switch done ! Great job

Albert

• Like 1

10 mins later what pops out????? My little wrasse asking me what all the fuss is about :)

Thanks Albert I still have bits and bobs to do but I am getting there. :)

Looking good Les and I am sure the wrasse will turn up

That must have been some job getting the tank switch done ! Great job

Albert

• Like 1

10 mins later what pops out????? My little wrasse asking me what all the fuss is about :)

Thanks Albert I still have bits and bobs to do but I am getting there. :)

That is funny Les .... they pop up at the most unexpected time :)

Albert

• Like 1

My new tank is going through the diatom stage probably due to the silica in the new sand. No activity with the Santa Monica algae scrubber yet it's still totally algae free which is not surprising as 3/4 of the water I used was new and my nutrient level of the old water was low. My largish blue tipped Acro started to loose some tissue so I took a large portion from it and trimmed the dead areas back. My lights are just 4" off the waters surface while on my cube they were 8" so I have cut the % of each channel and so far all seems well.

• Like 1

My new tank is going through the diatom stage probably due to the silica in the new sand. No activity with the Santa Monica algae scrubber yet it's still totally algae free which is not surprising as 3/4 of the water I used was new and my nutrient level of the old water was low. My largish blue tipped Acro started to loose some tissue so I took a large portion from it and trimmed the dead areas back. My lights are just 4" off the waters surface while on my cube they were 8" so I have cut the % of each channel and so far all seems well.

Sounds good Les and I guess what you are expriencing the usual things that happen when one changes over to a new tank

An on the scrubber : IMO it will take a while for it to actually start growing algae on the panel .... I have not seen many reports on how well it works but I have seen the same as you remarked and that is that it is an expensive piece of equipment for its size and build when you have to buy it new ....

Albert

• Like 1