Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Just been reading through a few TFH mags from the early 70s A5 size with the adverisments of the time most interesting. I don't have a scanner that works but perhaps I could photographva few and post tomorrow well it is nearly 12 midnight here in the UK and am now in bed writing this .... Can't you tell am a single guy lol.

• Like 1

Have any Idea why I am still gray? I don't know how to contact admins

Go to messages at the top right of the page and create a new message and address it to Admin

Albert

Just been reading through a few TFH mags from the early 70s A5 size with the adverisments of the time most interesting. I don't have a scanner that works but perhaps I could photographva few and post tomorrow well it is nearly 12 midnight here in the UK and am now in bed writing this .... Can't you tell am a single guy lol.

That should be interesting Les ... gee the 70's ...

Thanks and I hope you had a good rest

Albert

What would fertilizer do to corals?

Not sure why you would want to use fertilizer but if you did you would more than likely see an explosion of algae growth as fertilizers contain high levels of nitrate and phosphate and sometimes other compounds

That could lead to algae growth on coral skeletons which would be damaging to them if the algae grew and grew and started to compete for space with the coral polyp.

In addition excessive amounts of nitrate and phosphate are damaging to corals.

Albert

Just taken a number pf pic's from old TFH mags circa 1972/3 Sorry for the poor quality as the lights fading and my hands not as steady as it was old age and my recent op lol.

IMG_7996_zps531f810a.jpg

IMG_7995_zpsa114a39a.jpg

IMG_7994_zpsb284d09f.jpg

IMG_7993_zpsfe33d71c.jpg

IMG_7992_zpsd1c513b6.jpg

IMG_7990_zps25fec77c.jpg

IMG_7988_zps0bd529e3.jpg

IMG_7986_zps8be8ec30.jpg

IMG_7985_zpsf7343210.jpg

IMG_7984_zps6def37a4.jpg

Last but not least my fav ad Sander skimmers and ozonisers.

IMG_7997_zps551db4d6.jpg

• Like 1

Just taken a number pf pic's from old TFH mags circa 1972/3 Sorry for the poor quality as the lights fading and my hands not as steady as it was old age and my recent op lol.

IMG_7996_zps531f810a.jpg

IMG_7995_zpsa114a39a.jpg

IMG_7994_zpsb284d09f.jpg

IMG_7993_zpsfe33d71c.jpg

IMG_7992_zpsd1c513b6.jpg

IMG_7990_zps25fec77c.jpg

IMG_7988_zps0bd529e3.jpg

IMG_7986_zps8be8ec30.jpg

IMG_7985_zpsf7343210.jpg

IMG_7984_zps6def37a4.jpg

Last but not least my fav ad Sander skimmers and ozonisers.

IMG_7997_zps551db4d6.jpg

That sure brings back some real old memories Les ...

Real old ones :)

Thanks for posting

That will give newcomers an idea of what we had to work with and cope with in those days

Albert

• Like 1

The dynamaster pumps where great really the only way to go with wood air stones. That Sanders skimmer was my first skimmer.

Indeed great ones ... and those Diatom Filters are still around ... in fact Paul B uses them still ... wish I still had one of the many I had at one time in the past :) but even though they worked real well, they did not hold up in Salt water usage :(

Albert

• Like 1

My first skimmer was a sander 250 later I turned it into a power venturi skimmer using a Hagen Aquaclear 200 I think powerhead with great success. The Sander ozonisers weren't very reliable esp situated in moist areas like tank cabinets.

• Like 1

My first skimmer was a sander 250 later I turned it into a power venturi skimmer using a Hagen Aquaclear 200 I think powerhead with great success. The Sander ozonisers weren't very reliable esp situated in moist areas like tank cabinets.

My first one was DIY .... and yes those green Sanders ozonisers were somewhat problematic at times to say the least and the finish of the housing was a but rudimentary from what I remember

Albert

• Like 1

I also still use that reverse UG filter. And I have 5 of those Diatom filters

Yes indeed Paul and that tank is still kicking !!!

And you have 5 of those Vortex ones ? Wow ... all still working or all rusted out because of the Saltwater ?

Albert

Out of the 5, I have one working, the rest are for parts and nostalgia

IMG_1175.jpg

Yes that is kind of what I figured ... but at least you have parts to keep them going ... and they are still on the market as far as I know

Albert

Ooops I done it again. :rolleyes:

After saying I would not upgrade again from my 2' cube I have put a deposit on a tank tonight. :wacko:

I just couldn't resist it as it is such a bargain. The guy selling it is getting an upgraded tank on Friday and he needed his old (not so) old one gone this weekend. It's an Aquareef 300 not sure if you can get these in the states so here is the spec,

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/newaquareef.php

These tanks are top quality and retail for over £1000 new. The tank is almost like new and he has upgraded the return pump for a Eheim 5000 which cost around £130 alone. It comes with T5 lighting but I will get an LED unit for it later.

Cost to me ..............£150 :)

It's a steal and couldn't pass it up. There is no skimmer as the stock one isn't so good but that's no problem as my BM Curve 5 will fit perfectly in the sump. I will put the tank in the garage until I am ready to swap it over. I have a friend who will pick the tank and stand etc up for me if not at the weekend then early next week. :)

• Like 1

Ooops I done it again. :rolleyes:

After saying I would not upgrade again from my 2' cube I have put a deposit on a tank tonight. :wacko:

I just couldn't resist it as it is such a bargain. The guy selling it is getting an upgraded tank on Friday and he needed his old (not so) old one gone this weekend. It's an Aquareef 300 not sure if you can get these in the states so here is the spec,

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/newaquareef.php

These tanks are top quality and retail for over £1000 new. The tank is almost like new and he has upgraded the return pump for a Eheim 5000 which cost around £130 alone. It comes with T5 lighting but I will get an LED unit for it later.

Cost to me ..............£150 :)

It's a steal and couldn't pass it up. There is no skimmer as the stock one isn't so good but that's no problem as my BM Curve 5 will fit perfectly in the sump. I will put the tank in the garage until I am ready to swap it over. I have a friend who will pick the tank and stand etc up for me if not at the weekend then early next week. :)

Wow that is some super deal indeed Les ....

Can't wait to see the build ... that is nearly a 80 US gallon tank .... nice

Albert

• Like 1

Wow that is some super deal indeed Les ....

Can't wait to see the build ... that is nearly a 80 US gallon tank .... nice

Albert

Thanks Albert,

I couldn't believe it and thought there must be a catch but it's in tip top condition. I might have to leave it till the new year as I am still recovering from my op and Christmas will be upon us. The new tank is going in the same position as my excising one so that creates an added difficulty but I have been there before and know the script. Planning and an extra pair of hands is the key and to start early.

I am really thrilled with it but won't be happy till I have it here of course but fingers crossed all will be well on Sunday to pick it up.

• Like 1

Thanks Albert,

I couldn't believe it and thought there must be a catch but it's in tip top condition. I might have to leave it till the new year as I am still recovering from my op and Christmas will be upon us. The new tank is going in the same position as my excising one so that creates an added difficulty but I have been there before and know the script. Planning and an extra pair of hands is the key and to start early.

I am really thrilled with it but won't be happy till I have it here of course but fingers crossed all will be well on Sunday to pick it up.

Yes hard to believe indeed that you got such a super deal and I can imagine you are looking forward to getting that new build going

That will be a great looking tank I am sure

Albert

There has been some discussion on what Hydrogen Peroxide should be used in Oxydators. Some are using peroxide from the local Chemists (drug store to you) Some are using peroxide containing other chemicals as stabilizers and others for reasons I am unaware of.

I have replied with the following taken from the net..

"Phenacetin is a pain-relieving and fever-reducing drug, widely used from its introduction in 1887 until banned in the US by the FDAin 1983. Its use has declined because of its adverse effects, which include increased risk of certain cancers and kidney damage"The conjugate base of phosphoric acid is the dihydrogen phosphate ion, H2PO−
4, which in turn has a conjugate base of hydrogen phosphate, HPO2−
4, which has a conjugate base of phosphate, PO3−4" Unquote..

" in addition to being a chemical reagent, phosphoric acid has a wide variety of uses, including as a rust inhibitor, food additive, dental and orthop(a)edic etchant, electrolyte, flux, dispersing agent, industrial etchant, fertilizer feedstock, and component of home cleaning products.
The most common source of phosphoric acid is an 85% aqueous solution; such solutions are colourless, odourless, and non-volatile. The 85% solution is a rather viscous, syrupy liquid, but still pourable. Because it is a concentrated acid, an 85% solution can be corrosive," Unquote.

However the issue here is not only does the Hydrogen peroxide from Boots the Chemists contain both components but how much and more importantly what if any will be the long term effects on our corals etc. It is for this reason I always recommend pure food grade hydrogen peroxide for use in Oxydators. .

Les

• Like 2