SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

oops, liters, not gallons! I've found biopellets combined with a good skimmer have been tremendous in dealing with feeding. I get away with a lot of food in there

So how many fish do you plan to put in that 15 liter tank ? That is small and you should IME keep the bioload low especially if you are going to add anything else besides fish, + a 15 liter tank does not really hold 15 liters since you do not fill it to the top and you will be putting some substrate in it and some live rock so you will have less than 15 liters of water.

And yes a good skimmer and carbon dosing with biopellets will help in keeping a better water quality indeed

Albert

Currently the fish stock is up in the air. I've got a few SPS corals and some soft/LPS in there that have been doing well and a pair of bumblebee shrimp.

The tank gets 1 gram of frozen ocean nutrition mixed with some crushed new life spectrum pellets and a drop each of red sea reef energy carbs and salifert coralline amino acids daily. I plan to build a refrigerated dosing system to make my life easier and spread this out over the day but that'll be in a month or three

I haven't seen much bad algal growth, but a lot of good coral growth. It's only because of this that I feel adding a few nano gobies wouldn't adversely affect my bioload, I don't think I'd need to up my feeding by a large margin to accommodate them, my main concern is agression - especailly with the increased risk of jumping.

• Like 1

Currently the fish stock is up in the air. I've got a few SPS corals and some soft/LPS in there that have been doing well and a pair of bumblebee shrimp.

The tank gets 1 gram of frozen ocean nutrition mixed with some crushed new life spectrum pellets and a drop each of red sea reef energy carbs and salifert coralline amino acids daily. I plan to build a refrigerated dosing system to make my life easier and spread this out over the day but that'll be in a month or three

I haven't seen much bad algal growth, but a lot of good coral growth. It's only because of this that I feel adding a few nano gobies wouldn't adversely affect my bioload, I don't think I'd need to up my feeding by a large margin to accommodate them, my main concern is agression - especailly with the increased risk of jumping.

That sounds like a good plan and if that feeding regimen works for you then I would continue it but just pay attention not to overload the tank as it is a small water volume ... so what ever you add has to be small and you IME not increase the feeding too much lest you may fowl the water quality, and I guess you do some water changes too to help keep the water purity higher

Albert

I took some pictures.

2014-10-20125221_zps6b0cf4d6.jpg

2014-10-20124248_zpsbb6f4e04.jpg

2014-10-20124236_zpsa9ce05f5.jpg

2014-10-20122805_zpsb887d3b8.jpg

2014-10-20122715_zpsb2dc7767.jpg

Merge2102014_zps58ec6185.jpg

Looks great Paul ... thanks for sharing

The Tank looks in great shape ... ... .... as it usually does

Albert

Looks like one of my Eswing hammers Paul. I have 2 of them one with a leather grip the other a rubber grip. Best hammers you can buy IMO but although I have heard of hammers in tanks it's usually because they have fell in and often gone through the tank. :lol:

• Like 1

Looks like one of my Eswing hammers Paul. I have 2 of them one with a leather grip the other a rubber grip. Best hammers you can buy IMO but although I have heard of hammers in tanks it's usually because they have fell in and often gone through the tank. :lol:

Indeed Les

Albert

----------------------------

P.S. I will be in Orlando starting Friday morning till late Sunday evening for CoralCon2014 where I will be given two presentations, one on Saturday and one on Sunday ... not sure how often I can get online this week-end

I just realized that I can't properly maintain my tank now that I have so many pipefish. Normally once a year I stir up the substrait where I can reach and suck out everything with a diatom filter but I can't do that with the pipefish, especially the blue stripe pipefish as they never live through that. I assume their tiny gills get clogged as I have always lost them when I make those needed typhoons. I will have to forego the typhoons as long as I have the five pipefish and see how it goes. The tank is running very well with the corals growing nicely so there is no rush to do any maintenance even though I think it has been well over a year since I did any. I can tell when a typhoon is needed and so far all is well.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-20124248_zpsbb6f4e04.jpg.html'>2014-10-20124248_zpsbb6f4e04.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg.html'>2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-08143409_zps155ce0a7.jpg.html'>2014-10-08143409_zps155ce0a7.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-08142016_zpsb589d3ce.jpg.html'>2014-10-08142016_zpsb589d3ce.jpg

• Like 1

Not been so well of late so hence little from me. First my back lifting my Fluval Edge then bowel problems just getting old I guess. Am joining your club Albert. :( .

• Like 1

Old age is not for Sissy's Les. Friday I received another shot in my right eye. For a bleeding blood vessel it is doing the trick. But every 6 weeks I have to go in a get a shot till the doctor is satisfied that it has healed. Real fun.

Edited by Reefwiser
  • Like 2

Oh dear Reefwiser l would not enjoy that. Am a little bit better today but not greatly. Will see how I go through the day as I have not been the doc's as yet.

• Like 1

I just realized that I can't properly maintain my tank now that I have so many pipefish. Normally once a year I stir up the substrait where I can reach and suck out everything with a diatom filter but I can't do that with the pipefish, especially the blue stripe pipefish as they never live through that. I assume their tiny gills get clogged as I have always lost them when I make those needed typhoons. I will have to forego the typhoons as long as I have the five pipefish and see how it goes. The tank is running very well with the corals growing nicely so there is no rush to do any maintenance even though I think it has been well over a year since I did any. I can tell when a typhoon is needed and so far all is well.

2014-10-20124248_zpsbb6f4e04.jpg

2014-10-08143123_zps17aa8fda.jpg

2014-10-08143409_zps155ce0a7.jpg

2014-10-08142016_zpsb589d3ce.jpg

Looking great Paul ...

Just got back from Orlando for the CoralCon2014 convention and I am "exhausted' Need a days sleep I think :)

Albert

Not been so well of late so hence little from me. First my back lifting my Fluval Edge then bowel problems just getting old I guess. Am joining your club Albert. :( .

Sorry to read it Les ... Hope you feel better real soon ...

Be well

Albert

• Like 1

Old age is not for Sissy's Les. Friday I received another shot in my right eye. For a bleeding blood vessel it is doing the trick. But every 6 weeks I have to go in a get a shot till the doctor is satisfied that it has healed. Real fun.

ooi not pleasant I would think .. Sorry to read it and hope you feel better real soon

Albert

• Like 1

Oh dear Reefwiser l would not enjoy that. Am a little bit better today but not greatly. Will see how I go through the day as I have not been the doc's as yet.

Good to read you are feeling a little better Les ..

As I said just got back from Orlando from CoralCon and am exhausted .. long days and hours and hours on one's feet walking around and around.

Gave two talks ... went well ..but at my age those long days are really tiring for sure and standing on my feet the whole days is not something I am used to any more :( oh well .. Legs are stiff now and feet hurt but I am sure it will get better

Albert

• Like 1

I do not think any of us would Les ....

Good to hear you are feeling a ltitle better

And Reefwiser ... hope all goes well

Albert

• Like 1

Albert we are all getting old. :) Sight has improved in the right eye since the treatment started. Just things we have to deal with as we get older.

• Like 2

Albert we are all getting old. :) Sight has improved in the right eye since the treatment started. Just things we have to deal with as we get older.

Yes indeed we do ... I had cataract surgery on both eyes in June, 2 weeks apart and now I no longer need glasses to see in the distance but still need "readers"

Albert