Top Shelf Aquatics

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

surgicalsense

... this is with the water from SnT?

I know Mark's is a bit further out from you, but girlie the water is stable.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chrssprngs
No your not doing anything wrong. As your tank matures you will have tons. Stuff starts slow, then it is all over. I have the stuff on my glass and comes back 10 fold once scraped off the glass. Kind of a pain really. I do not mind it on the LR and back wall of course.

Yep. I agree. Love it on the rocks and back, but a royal pain on the sides and front. I have been having a calerpa feather outbreak and considered an urchin as the solution. I have been told that they consume coraline algae as well as the macro. Do you have any experience with what kind of damage they can do? Do they prefer one over the other and only start eating the coraline if there is no other types to consume?

surgicalsense
Yep. I agree. Love it on the rocks and back, but a royal pain on the sides and front. I have been having a calerpa feather outbreak and considered an urchin as the solution. I have been told that they consume coraline algae as well as the macro. Do you have any experience with what kind of damage they can do? Do they prefer one over the other and only start eating the coraline if there is no other types to consume?

I have one nano pencil urchin and it really hasn't done anything. Makes it way around the tank (slowly) But, it is eating coralline it better hurry up and make it way to the glass :P I am going to do a water change this weekend at some point. I will scrape the glass then and change the water a bit. See if that helps slow the growth down on the glass.

I've been slacking! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until today! Looking great as usual Gena. :happy:

Probably a good call about removing the macros. Would hate to waste them! I'm sure you'll have all params in check soon, now that you know they need some attention, and the cycle will be over in no time :)

I feel like I'm starting over on the cycle. I mixed some salt in a cup with tank water and added it to this tank to raise the salinity. Not sure if that will hurt the bacteria that is already in there or not?????? That's ok...I can wait, I think :lol:

I dont have diatoms yet either, but its hard to tell because my dry rock one of the peices has some brownish stuff on it in certain places but it's a rock discoloration, and my sub is coarse.

You'll know it when the diatoms arrive...it's ugly :lol:

As long as none of the normal parameters are too far off (ie alk, salinity, etc), the macros should do well during the cycle - they will use ammonia and nitrite as a nitrogen source for nutrition in the absence of nitrate (they are plants, after all :) ).

That's my plan. Right now, or at least yesterday, the parameters were horrendous. I knew it was bad when I saw Danielle's miracle macro looking a little pathetic. It perked right up when I stuck it in my macro tank though. But, yes...once I see that my Ca and Alkalinity are stable,the salinity is up and hopefully the pH is down, I'll put some macros back in there.

hey Gena, great buy! love it. and love your den. so cosy. keep us posted!

chris

Thanks, Chris!!!!!! I will definitely keep this thread updated with anything new :)

Happy Friday to ya! Hope all is going well.

Thanks, Mark!!! Same to you!!!!

... this is with the water from SnT?

I know Mark's is a bit further out from you, but girlie the water is stable.

Yep...it was from SnT. I'm mixing my own again. Just did a water change on my other two tanks with Brightwell again.

They do eat coralline algae. I had a couple of urchins, but I never witnessed them eating macroalgae. I didn't have any in my tank though. They definitely weren't interested in the bryopsis. I believe they starved to death :(

I've been slacking! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until today! Looking great as usual Gena. :happy:

You've been busy!!!!! Thanks for stopping in...it's nice to see you again :happy:

I finally have an update!!!!! I have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate :happydance:

It's very minimal levels, but I'll take them :)

test.jpg

Woohoo! Cycling! Exciting right? I'm in the same boat with my new pico. I have diatoms today though! So I threw in my snails and I plan to set up my 3-day hydroid killing soak for the macroalgaes tonight.

Did you add anything to kick off the cycle in the new tank? I'm wondering how long it will take since you still have such low ammonia.

Woohoo! Cycling! Exciting right? I'm in the same boat with my new pico. I have diatoms today though! So I threw in my snails and I plan to set up my 3-day hydroid killing soak for the macroalgaes tonight.

Did you add anything to kick off the cycle in the new tank? I'm wondering how long it will take since you still have such low ammonia.

Hey Felicia!!!!!! My fellow California reefer ;):lol:

It is exciting. I'm excited for it to end :lol:

I still have no diatoms...grrrrrrrr. I had been adding microbacter 7 from brightwell. I think that's why I have such low levels. I've been adding food into the tank everyday to feed the bacteria in there. How much ammonia did you show at it's highest? Check out my pH levels....holy moley!!!! It's that reef rock that's doing that...I'm positive of it. I'll have to do a huge water change once the cycle is done...whenever that may be. I'm thinking it's going to be a while.

Hey Felicia!!!!!! My fellow California reefer ;):lol:

It is exciting. I'm excited for it to end :lol:

I still have no diatoms...grrrrrrrr. I had been adding microbacter 7 from brightwell. I think that's why I have such low levels. I've been adding food into the tank everyday to feed the bacteria in there. How much ammonia did you show at it's highest? Check out my pH levels....holy moley!!!! It's that reef rock that's doing that...I'm positive of it. I'll have to do a huge water change once the cycle is done...whenever that may be. I'm thinking it's going to be a while.

I dumped in a cube of frozen brine shrimp to kick start the cycle, but my levels never went very high. The peak for my ammonia was only 0.5 ppm. I added live bacteria several times during the cycle though, so I bet that's why it never got very high. I'm sure that's what is going on with you tank right now. Just wait for the diatoms...hopefully they'll come soon...

Deleted User 4

Gena, just curious. What are you going to do with your other 2 tanks after you transfer the livestock to the new 28g tank?

I dumped in a cube of frozen brine shrimp to kick start the cycle, but my levels never went very high. The peak for my ammonia was only 0.5 ppm. I added live bacteria several times during the cycle though, so I bet that's why it never got very high. I'm sure that's what is going on with you tank right now. Just wait for the diatoms...hopefully they'll come soon...

I'm going to keep adding food everyday and do a lot of testing. I don't want the nitrates to get out of hand. I love the rock but it's making my parameters whacky. It's the same rock in my 10g tank, so hopefully it will work itself out. The only difference between this rock and the 10g rock is that this rock was put in dry while the other was already wet and sitting in a tank at the LFS.

Gena, just curious. What are you going to do with your other 2 tanks after you transfer the livestock to the new 28g tank?

The NC12 will be taken down. I'm keeping the 10g macro tank running. I will only transfer macro growth from it to the 28g tank. I haven't decided on whether or not to hang onto the NC12 or sell it. I'm leaning toward hanging onto it.

Deleted User 4
I'm going to keep adding food everyday and do a lot of testing. I don't want the nitrates to get out of hand. I love the rock but it's making my parameters whacky. It's the same rock in my 10g tank, so hopefully it will work itself out. The only difference between this rock and the 10g rock is that this rock was put in dry while the other was already wet and sitting in a tank at the LFS.

The NC12 will be taken down. I'm keeping the 10g macro tank running. I will only transfer macro growth from it to the 28g tank. I haven't decided on whether or not to hang onto the NC12 or sell it. I'm leaning toward hanging onto it.

I see. I'd sell it if it was me ahaha. But that's me ahah. I really like your walls in the living room!! Looks very classy.

surgicalsense

Happy Monday! ... Okay, I haven't had a chance to pull my hood off of the tank. I will do that this week, promise. I hiked all weekend. I am so determined to lose this weight.

:happydance: .. the 28g itch.

I see. I'd sell it if it was me ahaha. But that's me ahah. I really like your walls in the living room!! Looks very classy.

You and my husband have the same attitude :lol: I just have so much money into this thing and I may want to set up a small tank again at some point.

Thanks on the room. It's a real wood paneling. Best thing about it is it's easy to hang stuff/attach stuff to it...like the tank stand that's bolted to it :)

Happy Monday! ... Okay, I haven't had a chance to pull my hood off of the tank. I will do that this week, promise. I hiked all weekend. I am so determined to lose this weight.

:happydance: .. the 28g itch.

Happy Monday!!!!!!!! Just let me know when you get that fan info.

We watched The Seven Year Itch last night. Even A. loved it :happy: He said Marilyn reminds him of my mom (his grandmother)!!!!!!! I always thought that too, growing up -_-

Gonna do more testing on this tank today. I'm curious to see what reading I'll get. I'm so anxious to start stocking this thing!!!!!!! But I'm being good -_-

nevermore1701

I come back to find that the tank that inspired me to improve mine is being replaced with a bigger one?! I think I hate you now :tears:

I come back to find that the tank that inspired me to improve mine is being replaced with a bigger one?! I think I hate you now :tears:

:o

I didn't mean to upgrade. It was too good a deal to pass up!!!!!! I did not intentionally go out to buy this tank ;)

I forgot I do have some updates.

I've had a terrible amount of surface scum on this tank. Now I've been having problems with a very high pH and very low alkalinity. I've been doing as much research on this as possible and found that the cause could be a lack of oxygen exchange. The whole chemistry behind it always throws me for a loop. Anyways, I had barely any surface agitation to break up the scum. I discovered yesterday that the top return nozzle twists all the way up so now I have a very heavy surface break. Plus, I added my mp10 onto this tank. Looks like the perfect amount of flow now.

I also took some paper towels and removed the surface scum with that before fiddling with the return and mp10. This morning the water surface is absolutely perfect. I'll be testing again today to see if that made any difference. I'm not sure how soon it would make a difference...again...that whole chemistry thing :lol:

I had the problem at first, but then I added a skimmer and it pretty much fixed it.

The built-in surface skimmer doesn't do squat!!!!! I thought about a protein skimmer, but this tank will be loaded with macro-algae which would not benefit from a protein skimmer. Hopefully the mp10 and surface break will do the job for me!!!!! fingerscrossed

nevermore1701

That is an absolutely killer deal you found, kinda like the only reason I managed to get into SW at all, got my 12g NC for about $50 brand new :D

That is an absolutely killer deal you found, kinda like the only reason I managed to get into SW at all, got my 12g NC for about $50 brand new :D

I love happy surprises. Yours was definitely a killer deal too :)

Update:

I have diatoms omgomgomg

So I'll do a big water change, make sure parameters can stay stable, and start moving things in. My ca and alk have been a struggle. I have kalkawasser on the way to hopefully help me out. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

jedimasterben
I love happy surprises. Yours was definitely a killer deal too :)

Update:

I have diatoms omgomgomg

So I'll do a big water change, make sure parameters can stay stable, and start moving things in. My ca and alk have been a struggle. I have kalkawasser on the way to hopefully help me out. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

Huzzah!

What have your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels looked like over the past few weeks?

Huzzah!

What have your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels looked like over the past few weeks?

All three were low. I haven't checked magnesium lately, but Ca was 355 and alk was 5.1 yesterday. I haven't checked today, but I have no doubt the alk is in the 4's today :( I talked with my LFS yesterday, where I got the rock. He insists it's really coralline algae on the rocks. I'm still not convinced, although a bunch of coralline algae would explain the low levels. This is why I'm still a ways out from adding anything. I'm trying to solve this mystery :lol:

Hello darlin :happy:

... I need to come by and visit.

Hey!!!!! Come by and visit :happy:

In tank news, I was looking at the tank yesterday and thought it was looking too blue. So, I switched out a blue plus bulb for one of the 10k bulbs the fixture came with. MUCH better. I'm glad I tried the 10k bulb. I think the macro-algae will look much better under this new light combination.

Still waiting on my kalk and some kent calcium and buffer. I'm going to get this water chemistry in order....soon!

surgicalsense
All three were low. I haven't checked magnesium lately, but Ca was 355 and alk was 5.1 yesterday. I haven't checked today, but I have no doubt the alk is in the 4's today :( I talked with my LFS yesterday, where I got the rock. He insists it's really coralline algae on the rocks. I'm still not convinced, although a bunch of coralline algae would explain the low levels. This is why I'm still a ways out from adding anything. I'm trying to solve this mystery :lol:

Hey!!!!! Come by and visit :happy:

In tank news, I was looking at the tank yesterday and thought it was looking too blue. So, I switched out a blue plus bulb for one of the 10k bulbs the fixture came with. MUCH better. I'm glad I tried the 10k bulb. I think the macro-algae will look much better under this new light combination.

Still waiting on my kalk and some kent calcium and buffer. I'm going to get this water chemistry in order....soon!

Excellent, I agree. The colors will probably just pop with the light.

Archived