inTank Media Baskets

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg:happydance::naughtydance:

im a little excited to see how this turns out if you can't tell. I really want to upgrade my 14 gallon to a shallow tank.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense
I AM a crazy tank lady. I'll be back to 3 again soon though ;)

Danielle's daughter pointed out that I have 4 tanks. She's so cute :lol:

:lol:

Thank you! Thats my lil bear.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg:happydance::naughtydance:

im a little excited to see how this turns out if you can't tell. I really want to upgrade my 14 gallon to a shallow tank.

It's going to be awhile before it turns into something wonderful. I'm determined to let the small colonies I already own, grow into big beautiful colonies. I like the looks of just a few types of corals that fill in the whole space. I'll enjoy watching them grow :happy:

I say buy that shallow tank ;)

Thank you! Thats my lil bear.

You're welcome! She's a darling lil bear :happy:

This is my first time posting here, I believe, and I so far, I think your scape makes for a very nice foundation...how your little planted tank doing?

This is my first time posting here, I believe, and I so far, I think your scape makes for a very nice foundation...how your little planted tank doing?

Thanks, squared!!!!!! The rock scape came together really well. It actually looks like one giant piece, even though it's not. They fit together perfectly. I made it so no rocks are touching the back wall and I have plenty of space to clean the sides :)

The little FW pico is GREAT! I still have all the original plants and animals plus about a hundred more cherry shrimp :lol: They are reproducing like mad!!!!!!

How's the new tank coming along? :)

It's great! No changes. The cycle is on day 6 already. No changes in the parameters...everything is zero across the board....well, except for the pH. That's off the chart. I had my green mushrooms in there but moved them out when I saw those pH levels. I don't want to take a chance with them. I did put some macros in the tank though...they seem to be doing just fine with it.

I'm anxious for this cycle to be done :)

jedimasterben
It's great! No changes. The cycle is on day 6 already. No changes in the parameters...everything is zero across the board....well, except for the pH. That's off the chart. I had my green mushrooms in there but moved them out when I saw those pH levels. I don't want to take a chance with them. I did put some macros in the tank though...they seem to be doing just fine with it.

I'm anxious for this cycle to be done :)

If they work anything like plants do in freshwater, they will use available nitrogen, ie, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and if so, the more macro the better. :)

If they work anything like plants do in freshwater, they will use available nitrogen, ie, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and if so, the more macro the better. :)

They do work the same :) This tank will be predominantly macros, mushrooms, and gorgonians.

Spirofucci
They do work the same :) This tank will be predominantly macros, mushrooms, and gorgonians.

......and just a little piece of strawberry shortcake on top.

You gotta one little sps in there. I think of you when I see mine and of course my Gena, D's!!!

......and just a little piece of strawberry shortcake on top.

You gotta one little sps in there. I think of you when I see mine and of course my Gena, D's!!!

:happy:

I would love SS....but, nope...not gonna happen. I'm going back to my roots and only doing corals I can keep with strictly water changes. I really got tired of testing all the time to make sure my alk was ok. That's how I burn out on tanks....when it becomes a ball and chain :lol:

I'll just admire yours :)

I'm more partial to macros now anyways. I have my red bone algae which looks just like a birdsnest when it grows out. That will be my "sps"!!!!!!!

-------------

I moved my neon green leather out of the NC and stuck it in the 10g. Looks like there are some "GSP" polyps on the rock it's attached to. This was purchased as GSP but it's really a photosynthetic gorgonia that takes over EVERYTHING!!!!!! So....I'm a little bummed that I'm going to have to cut the leather off the rock. I'll probably end up making two frags out of it. I know it will grow back to it's old self...but it's going to take longer now. I hate waiting :lol:

Are you going to move any live rock from your 12 gallon?

I'm sort of following your example for my future upgrade. The last time I upgraded I did it all at once. While I technically didn't loose anything, I did have 2 fish jump. It was a huge mess as well.

I like the idea of going of a bit slower. That way I can add the fish one at a time and make sure things are stable before moving my anemones. I really don't want to loose those :(

I can't wait to see what this looks like a few months from now!

Me either :lol: I'm so impatient when it comes to tanks. That was mostly the reason I was sick about starting again. I have so much nice coralline growing in the NC12. I love it when the walls are full of purple/pink. I'm going to scrape the NC12 coralline and drop the bits into this tank, when the time comes. That should really kick start the purple/pink in there :)

Are you going to move any live rock from your 12 gallon?

I'm sort of following your example for my future upgrade. The last time I upgraded I did it all at once. While I technically didn't loose anything, I did have 2 fish jump. It was a huge mess as well.

I like the idea of going of a bit slower. That way I can add the fish one at a time and make sure things are stable before moving my anemones. I really don't want to loose those :(

Nope...zero rock from the NC12 is going into this tank. I'm not taking any chances of introducing bryopsis. I'm so nervous about moving my fish into this tank. I don't want to lose any of them! I'm also concerned about moving the open brain coral. I know my softies can handle the move, but the brain is so happy where it is...I don't want something freaky to happen to it. LPS isn't as forgiving as soft coral.

Very nice! Can't wait to see updates...

Thanks!!!!! I'll update as soon as I have something. It's just sitting there cycling right now. I think I'm gonna let it go the full 4 weeks. My goal is to match the water chemistry of all my tanks so moving things will be less stressful. All tanks are receiving the same water and dosing. By the end of 4 weeks, they should all be pretty comparable. I hope fingerscrossed

Me either :lol: I'm so impatient when it comes to tanks. That was mostly the reason I was sick about starting again. I have so much nice coralline growing in the NC12. I love it when the walls are full of purple/pink. I'm going to scrape the NC12 coralline and drop the bits into this tank, when the time comes. That should really kick start the purple/pink in there :)

Send some my way! :P My tank has been up for 5 months and there are only a few tiny patches on my LR here and there. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I was wondering (and sorry if you've already been asked this before) but do you have any different plans for this tank or will it be a bigger version of your NC12?

surgicalsense
Send some my way! :P My tank has been up for 5 months and there are only a few tiny patches on my LR here and there. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

No your not doing anything wrong. As your tank matures you will have tons. Stuff starts slow, then it is all over. I have the stuff on my glass and comes back 10 fold once scraped off the glass. Kind of a pain really. I do not mind it on the LR and back wall of course.

I was wondering (and sorry if you've already been asked this before) but do you have any different plans for this tank or will it be a bigger version of your NC12?

I certainly can :) You pay for shipping and I'll send you a plastic bag full of saltwater and coralline algae! I'll let you know when, if you're interested. Should get there in one day too...just going north.

This tank will actually be a bigger version of my macro tank!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!! Except I won't have maxi minis or sexy shrimp in here. And there will be more coral. All softies, except for the open brain and the lavender lace duncan from Felicia ;) Well, possibly a neon green candy cane, but I'm not set on that yet. Time will tell :)

No your not doing anything wrong. As your tank matures you will have tons. Stuff starts slow, then it is all over. I have the stuff on my glass and comes back 10 fold once scraped off the glass. Kind of a pain really. I do not mind it on the LR and back wall of course.

+1

After a year the stuff will explode in your tank. Start scraping what you have....you'll be surprised by where and how much will pop up. It's magical :)

Sad puppy is sad. :(

I still have 6 maxis and 8 sexies in my 10g tank!!!!!! Don't be sad :lol:

--------------

In tank news....I ended up removing all macroalgae from this tank. I had placed three varieties in there. I think I mentioned that my pH was off the charts. Well, the specific gravity was way low and the Ca and Alk was way low as well. Until this tank is fully cycled and parameters are in check...I'm not even going to keep macros in there. They were starting to not look so hot which tipped me off to the wacky parameters.

Still no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. I'm adding bits of food daily to kick start something too. I'm thinking of waiting 2 months before moving my fish and favorite corals into this tank. I'll probably start filling it with macros after 4 weeks though. I just don't want to take any chances with my fish and favorite corals.

So the cycle moves onward. No diatoms yet either.

Probably a good call about removing the macros. Would hate to waste them! I'm sure you'll have all params in check soon, now that you know they need some attention, and the cycle will be over in no time :)

Deleted User 3

I dont have diatoms yet either, but its hard to tell because my dry rock one of the peices has some brownish stuff on it in certain places but it's a rock discoloration, and my sub is coarse.

jedimasterben

As long as none of the normal parameters are too far off (ie alk, salinity, etc), the macros should do well during the cycle - they will use ammonia and nitrite as a nitrogen source for nutrition in the absence of nitrate (they are plants, after all :) ).

Archived