Top Shelf Aquatics

Pinched Mantle disease

ZephNYC

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an enormous clam. How long have you had it?

Ive had it for almost 6 years, it grows about 1 inch per year.

I came home from work today and noticed a piece missing from the lip of my clam. I thought it was from a hermit crab or maybe my potters angel. Then I saw the Sally lightfoot crab sneak up on the clam and jump on it and try to pinch it. Well, he isn't I the tank anymore. Will it grow back? And is this something I should be concerned about? I've only had the clam for a week or two. Thanks.

8cfec855.jpg

What a weekend you have had. So you nuked the B*tch?

Oh i had a great weekend, all I did was work on my tanks. THats what makes me happy as a clam.

Have to love an official graph...now all the opinions can go out the window. Here is proof that running GFO raises iron levels in your water.

ironlq.png

In the first 24 hours iron levels increased from about 0.08 to an incredible 0.27 !!!! then they slowwwwwwly lowered over the next 100 hours back to where they were initially, as the iron just runs out. Definitely NOT something I want in my clam tank!!

Here is the entire article, thanks to Alto!!!

gfo and iron

I came home from work today and noticed a piece missing from the lip of my clam. I thought it was from a hermit crab or maybe my potters angel. Then I saw the Sally lightfoot crab sneak up on the clam and jump on it and try to pinch it. Well, he isn't I the tank anymore. Will it grow back? And is this something I should be concerned about? I've only had the clam for a week or two. Thanks.

8cfec855.jpg

Ouch! Clams do not like sally lightfoots at all. I dont like any crabs that walk around. Stay put sps crabs are cute and safe. Lots of others are too but not sallys. Just like any other wound, there is risk of infection of course. Your clam is new so it is probably still strong and should heal up just fine. I have to tell you though, that clam looks pretty bothered. Sure harmless cleaner crabs wont physically hurt your clam, but a dozen of them all day long will probably cause your clam to stop opening. You might want to move her up on the rock work. Also the Potters angel is a time bomb. and your maxima wont survive another injury.

Thanks. I think I only have one tiny hermit crab. He will be moving when I see him. I wasn't home all day and notice it first thing when I got home. The potters might be gone soon too. I'm building a bigger tanks which most everything will be transferred to. The potters might stay here. I dont really have a place for him on the rocks. Thanks.

Have to love an official graph...now all the opinions can go out the window. Here is proof that running GFO raises iron levels in your water.

ironlq.png

In the first 24 hours iron levels increased from about 0.08 to an incredible 0.27 !!!! then they slowwwwwwly lowered over the next 100 hours back to where they were initially, as the iron just runs out. Definitely NOT something I want in my clam tank!!

Here is the entire article, thanks to Alto!!!

gfo and iron

The GFO-clam connection is speculative at best.

"Further analyses found the iron to be almost entirely in the ferric form, but perhaps more importantly, as mostly in the form of suspended particulates and not dissolved."

The oldest clams in captivity in the world (at the Waikiki Aquarium) are in an open system of well water that is very high in iron and manganese. They seem to be okay with it.

The oldest clams in captivity in the world (at the Waikiki Aquarium) are in an open system of well water that is very high in iron and manganese. They seem to be okay with it.

The Waikiki aquarium has the oldest clams in captivity? I think I saw some monster ones inside , but the ones in the outdoor tank aren't that big.

Outdoor clam tank.

630c2e3b.jpg

The two T. gigas in the indoor tank have been there since the early 1980s.

Waikiki_Aquarium_3.JPG

According to Charles Delbeek the well water was determined to have an iron concentration of 2.0 mg/L. This is from several years ago, but there is no reason to believe it is not still very high.

altolamprologus

I think the point Zeph is trying to make is that iron will negatively impact a clam already infected with PM. The clams at the aquarium would have been cleared of any disease before being put on display.

I think the point Zeph is trying to make is that iron will negatively impact a clam already infected with PM.

Which is speculation being stated as fact.

The clams at the aquarium would have been cleared of any disease before being put on display.

Well, maybe. Back when they were put on display, nobody even knew of PM. Anyway, there are many paths that Perkinsus could have taken since then to get into that exhibit even if they didn't have it previously. The aquarium occasionally uses surface water in some of their tanks; this is one simple pathway. Feeding out shellfish flesh to the fish could be another. It's an assumption that they aren't infected.

The GFO-clam connection is speculative at best.

"Further analyses found the iron to be almost entirely in the ferric form, but perhaps more importantly, as mostly in the form of suspended particulates and not dissolved."

I can only speak from my own beliefs and observations, but my humble opinion is:

healthy clams ---> iron no problem

sick clam ----> iron big problem

The old clamdirect forum has long been shut down since the demise of clamsdirect.com, but i am trying to gain access to it for all the information we discussed concerning iron and clams. The entire staff was VERY adamant about getting iron out of your tanks, NOT AS A CURE, but as a prophylactic

Back when they were put on display, nobody even knew of PM.

You may be right, but cleared of diseases would mean cleared of diseases.

If PM was present whether the terminology was known or not, the signs of the sickness would be present. And would be visible in quarantine.

I can only speak from my own beliefs and observations, but my humble opinion is:

healthy clams ---> iron no problem

sick clam ----> iron big problem

+1

You may be right, but cleared of diseases would mean cleared of diseases.

Well, sure, but who is saying they were "cleared of disease"? That is an assumption being made anonymously in an internet forum. We have no idea if the aquarium QT'd Tridacna back in the early 1980s or not. I know enough about their invertebrate QT procedures in the recent past to say that it is a very big assumption that they QT'd those clams. Anyway, it is irrelevant whether they were QT'd or not 30 years ago. They could have picked it up a thousand different ways since then.

If PM was present whether the terminology was known or not, the signs of the sickness would be present. And would be visible in quarantine.

Not necessarily true at all. If you can spot all Perkinsus infections just by looking at a clam, please, share your secret with us all!

630c2e3b.jpg

They have a couple of nice T. squamosa inside the building too. :D

DSC00764.jpg

What are you saying? Hop the fence?

They dont call me CLAMNAPPER for nuthin!!! LMAOOooooooo. :naughtydance:

Well, sure, but who is saying they were "cleared of disease"? That is an assumption being made anonymously in an internet forum. We have no idea if the aquarium QT'd Tridacna back in the early 1980s or not. I know enough about their invertebrate QT procedures in the recent past to say that it is a very big assumption that they QT'd those clams. Anyway, it is irrelevant whether they were QT'd or not 30 years ago. They could have picked it up a thousand different ways since then.

Not necessarily true at all. If you can spot all Perkinsus infections just by looking at a clam, please, share your secret with us all!

:huh: Nope, saying "any" disease with a visible symptom would not have been put in the tank.

Yeah, this is the internet and a forum for healthy discussion, which is why I'm not poking holes in your assumption that the clams at waikiki are fine with well water. You don't know that. You don't know how many may have died and from what or how they correct the chemistry of their water.

Would be great if you used well water, I'd be interested in your test results and observations for sure.

your assumption that the clams at waikiki are fine with well water.

Those T. gigas have been there for 30 years. What further evidence would demonstrate that they are fine?

Nope, saying "any" disease with a visible symptom would not have been put in the tank.

Right. Perkinsus does not always present with visible symptoms.

Just a tid bit of clam trivia . Nothing to do with PM but interesting imo.

The oldest living creature still remaining on the planet is...indeed..a CLAM!!!

Climate researchers at Bangor University in the United Kingdom recently counted 405 annual growth rings in the shells of a quahog clam.

The team plucked the mollusk from 262-feet-deep (80-meter-deep) waters off the northern coast of Iceland.

The team is studying growth lines in clam shells as part of a project to understand how the climate has changed over the past thousand years.

"On a side note, we discovered this very old clam," said Al Wanamaker, a postdoctoral researcher at the university.

Some protest the "oldest animal" designation, saying it should go to certain corals that grow together to form colonies. By this reckoning, the clam would be only the oldest non-colonial animals.

Quahog clams are known for their longevity.

A 220-year-old taken from American waters in 1982 holds the official Guinness Book of World Records oldest animal title. Unofficially, the record belongs to a 374-year-old Icelandic clam housed in a German museum.

The new clam is at least 30 years older, according to the Bangor University team

The team plucked the mollusk from 262-feet-deep (80-meter-deep) waters off the northern coast of Iceland.

Does this mean they picked it out of the water and now it's been removed from it's 400+ year habitat?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived