Top Shelf Aquatics

Frogspawn Vs Hammer

ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

I have 10 gallon nano with zoas, shrooms, zenia, leather, and an open brain.

I am looking for a LPS with good movement that can be the centerpiece coral at the top of my tank.

I've narrowed it down to Frogspawn and Hammer corals because I am a little intimidated by the aggressiveness of Torch corals.

Anyways I was hoping to get some personal experience of keeping these corals in a nano tank and the problems you have run into with sweeper tentacles.

Which do you think is more beautiful and eye-catching?

Bonus Internets for pictures.

altolamprologus

Hammers

orangehammer.jpg

greenhammer.jpg

bicolorhammer.jpg

(not my pics)

Hammers and frogspawns are equal in temperament and aggressiveness. The only problems I've ever had were when I put other corals too close to my hammers. As long as you keep them a few inches away from other corals and keep them in low flow, they won't cause any issues.

A wall hammer would be a good choice for your tank. They grow really slow so there's no risk of them invading and stinging your other corals. Branching hammers and frogspawns grow really really fast and would outgrow the tank without regular pruning.

Froggies will sway more than hammers. IMO, hammers are much more attractive.

I've never had a problem with sweepers from y frogspawn( when I had it) or my torch. My torch is right next to me clam and some other corals too.

As a center piece, my vote is for you to drop a little extra and get a high end hammer. They are the best looking of euphylias imo

Trogdor447

want a video of my froggy? its in some pretty high flow so it doesnt expand all the way but hes not in any danger, its been there for some time - the bottom one is splitting and its kinda deflated

ReeferReefer

Thanks for the replies! I think I am leaning towards the Hammer because my LFS has some great ones.

A question about the stocks they grow on, Do you normally just super glue the stock to the rock with some aqua puddy? Should I use a dremel to cut it down? The ones at my LFS have 2-4 inch stocks.

Send me that link Trog? BTW I used your LED build for my 10 gallon we are talking about. Working great.

altolamprologus
Thanks for the replies! I think I am leaning towards the Hammer because my LFS has some great ones.

A question about the stocks they grow on, Do you normally just super glue the stock to the rock with some aqua puddy? Should I use a dremel to cut it down? The ones at my LFS have 2-4 inch stocks.

Send me that link Trog? BTW I used your LED build for my 10 gallon we are talking about. Working great.

Those can be cut before being glued down as long as you stay more than an inch away from the tissue

I still say you should get a wall hammer. They grow slower and come in much better colors than the branching ones

ReeferReefer

Ninja- That is amazing! Makes me want to start my 40b build!

Alto- Im still a little new at this, can you explain the difference between wall and normal hammers? and how I can tell the difference?

altolamprologus
Ninja- That is amazing! Makes me want to start my 40b build!

Alto- Im still a little new at this, can you explain the difference between wall and normal hammers? and how I can tell the difference?

Branching hammers have stalks like you described, where each individual head is on the end of it's own stalk. Wall hammers have skeletons that grow like walls, expanding on each end. Wall hammers are made up a single very large head with multiple mouths. You can google image search to see the difference between the two. Your LFS should also know the difference.

Some people have said that wall hammers are harder to take care of, but I disagree entirely. I've had my wall hammer for 15 months, since my tank was 2 months old. I don't do anything special, just keep the tank well taken care of and I feed it once a week.

Branching hammers have stalks like you described, where each individual head is on the end of it's own stalk. Wall hammers have skeletons that grow like walls, expanding on each end. Wall hammers are made up a single very large head with multiple mouths. You can google image search to see the difference between the two. Your LFS should also know the difference.

Some people have said that wall hammers are harder to take care of, but I disagree entirely. I've had my wall hammer for 15 months, since my tank was 2 months old. I don't do anything special, just keep the tank well taken care of and I feed it once a week.

How do you distinguish a wall hammer if its a small frag. I've got a hammer but not sure it is wall or not as it is very small frag?! Thx

altolamprologus
How do you distinguish a wall hammer if its a small frag. I've got a hammer but not sure it is wall or not as it is very small frag?! Thx

If it's a wall hammer, you would see the matrix of calcium carbonate inside the skeleton on the cut ends. If it's a branching hammer, the skeleton will be round. Since you have a small frag, it's most likely a branching hammer.

do frogspawn and hammer sting each other??

Nope :)

altolamprologus
Ohhh boy someones about to spend the night moving around his hammer and frogspawn !! :lol:

Why?

altolamprologus
Did you order your wall hammer online or get it at a LFS?

Ill keep an eye out for it.

I got it at a LFS. They're pretty common, but the really nice colored ones like I posted earlier are harder to find and a bit expensive, but well worth it

altolamprologus
The sweeper tentacles make me a little nervous but I cant help but really like LPS

As long as you keep it in low flow and away from other corals you shouldn't have a problem

ReeferReefer

I have a top flat area in my tank I was planning on putting the lps. I could place both on that top platform above my other corals.

Low flow would help minimize the sweepers?

altolamprologus
I have a top flat area in my tank I was planning on putting the lps. I could place both on that top platform above my other corals.

Low flow would help minimize the sweepers?

Yes to both

Archived