inTank Media Baskets

what fish can go with moon jellyfish

Reret10

Well i am getting the jellyfishart moon jellyfish tank and on the website it says that they can go with clownfish damselfish and gobys (it is a 6 gallon tank). So the thing that i am worried about is what kinds of gobys and damselfish can i put with them. so i guess i am asking for a peacefull goby that lives in a small tank with jellyfish a snail and a red legged hermit crab.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supernip

• Euphyllia

• wombat

• TeflonTomDosh

TeflonTomDosh
dont get jellyfish. they will die, that setup isnt very good. sorry. :(

+1

Total waste of $ IMO. Plus, jellyfish are dumb. :huh:

TeflonTomDosh
jellyfish rock and who will be laughing when they take over the world? u?

No idiot. I'll be peeing on everyone to soothe their stings. Duh. :lol:

altolamprologus

The tank is actually designed well and you will not have fatalities if you do it right and perform a couple simple mods. I know a guy who has had the tank running for several months now and still has 3 of the 4 original jellies. The only people who kill their jellies are the idiots who think a saltwater tank can just be setup and left alone, just like all the noobs that go around killing all their fish.

Back to the original question. You can't keep anything with the jellies. The website does say you can keep fish in the tank, but that's only if you use it as a regular tank and don't have jellies. Anything you put with the jellies will be stung and eaten.

+1 to no fish

the jellies need a rotational current and no sharp edges so they dont get caught on an edge and die--hence the special tanks

I would be worried of the opposite to what alto said--I dont think moon jelly could sting and kill a clownfish. I would think that any fish you put in a small jelly tank would tear them to shreds just simply by swimming around and what have you

leave the jelly tank a jelly tank for best success IMO

devilsadvocate
Well i am getting the jellyfishart moon jellyfish tank and on the website it says that they can go with clownfish damselfish and gobys (it is a 6 gallon tank). So the thing that i am worried about is what kinds of gobys and damselfish can i put with them. so i guess i am asking for a peacefull goby that lives in a small tank with jellyfish a snail and a red legged hermit crab.

i feel like your trolling again, but ill bite.

jelly tanks arent like reef tanks. LR cant be in the DT, no corners, no fish.

boring waste of money.

I think jelly tanks are sweet

much different from a reef but equally awesome

OP just make sure you know what you are getting into

dont *ahem* regret anything :rolleyes:

Those tanks are crap. Total waste of money, poor set up for keeping jellies, and classic scam language on the website.

There is no such thing as an easy way to keep pelagic jellies. Especially the non-photosynthetic species like the moons. Take it from somebody that works at a place where we breed 5 different species for display. They are difficult. They take a lot of time and equipment. There are no shortcuts. Moons reproduce like rabbits if they are well taken care of. They also get about a foot in diameter.

If you're interested in keeping them thriving and not just alive for a few months, read this book like it is your Bible:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Jellyfish-A...y/dp/160494126X

Those tanks are crap. Total waste of money, poor set up for keeping jellies, and classic scam language on the website.

There is no such thing as an easy way to keep pelagic jellies. Especially the non-photosynthetic species like the moons. Take it from somebody that works at a place where we breed 5 different species for display. They are difficult. They take a lot of time and equipment. There are no shortcuts. Moons reproduce like rabbits if they are well taken care of. They also get about a foot in diameter.

If you're interested in keeping them thriving and not just alive for a few months, read this book like it is your Bible:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Jellyfish-A...y/dp/160494126X

why are those tanks a poor setup?

could you give us a quick run-down of general jelly care?

My rich arsch friend has a fish tank in her house... No corals I don't think. She posted a picture of herself standing up next to the tank, and she is very tall... She's not as tall as the tank is. And the tank went in both directions out of the picture. Anyway, she had TONS of live rock in there and took a picture of herself next to get two jelly fish... I guess they've been alive a while. She also has a clownfish in there. IDK what the heck she's doing. It's what people loaded out of their minds do... <_<

Probably has like somebody who tends to it for her... And cleans it... It looked really clean. :unsure:

So that goes to prove that a tweenaged girl who thinks jellyfish are actual fish can keep these guys alive... So they shouldn't be hard to keep alive I guess? <_<

My rich arsch friend has a fish tank in her house... No corals I don't think. She posted a picture of herself standing up next to the tank, and she is very tall... She's not as tall as the tank is. And the tank went in both directions out of the picture. Anyway, she had TONS of live rock in there and took a picture of herself next to get two jelly fish... I guess they've been alive a while. She also has a clownfish in there. IDK what the heck she's doing. It's what people loaded out of their minds do... <_<

Probably has like somebody who tends to it for her... And cleans it... It looked really clean. :unsure:

So that goes to prove that a tweenaged girl who thinks jellyfish are actual fish can keep these guys alive... So they shouldn't be hard to keep alive I guess? <_<

Yeah I'm calling BS on this, no way that jellys could survive more than a day in a tank setup like a reef.

Yeah I'm calling BS on this, no way that jellys could survive more than a day in a tank setup like a reef.

Nope. I have pictures, but I don't want to post them because I don't have her permission, it's creepy, blah blah.

I'm not kidding. She is probably the richest person I will ever meet. She lives in a mansion on top of a hill that nobody knows how to get up to. The two level pool has a view of the entire surrounding area, all of the community. She is just too rich. I watch the videos she uploads to Facebook and YouTube, kinda stalky, but her house is like REALLY nice. :(

Some do, actually. You can find Aurelia sp. in Florida, the Philippines, etc.

Oh, I thought the max temp was low 70s F

I learned something today

I just found this on the website

Jellyfish are as easy to care for as regular aquarium fish.

Wow...

why are those tanks a poor setup?

could you give us a quick run-down of general jelly care?

That's like trying to give a quick run down of general Acropora care, or Tubastrea care. Sorry, but it can't be summed up in a paragraph.

Im buying this book on your recommendation. dont steer me wrong ground koala!

Chad was the jelly guy at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for several years. He doth know of what he speaketh. Every public aquarist that keeps jellies almost certainly has that book in their library, and uses it frequently.

Nope. I have pictures, but I don't want to post them because I don't have her permission, it's creepy, blah blah.

So she posted this picture, but you can't post it? Does she have a Bigfoot or chupacabra there too?

Do you actually know that this picture at her house? Why don't you find out what species they are for us, and if they are in the same tank as the rock. There are setups where you put a jelly tank behind (or in front of) a standard reef tank and it looks like the two are in the same body of water, but they're not. There is actually a display like this at a public aquarium in the Bahamas.

That's like trying to give a quick run down of general Acropora care, or Tubastrea care. Sorry, but it can't be summed up in a paragraph.

Chad was the jelly guy at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for several years. He doth know of what he speaketh. Every public aquarist that keeps jellies almost certainly has that book in their library, and uses it frequently.

So she posted this picture, but you can't post it? Does she have a Bigfoot or chupacabra there too?

Do you actually know that this picture at her house? Why don't you find out what species they are for us, and if they are in the same tank as the rock. There are setups where you put a jelly tank behind (or in front of) a standard reef tank and it looks like the two are in the same body of water, but they're not. There is actually a display like this at a public aquarium in the Bahamas.

Wasn't it a jewpacabra? I watch South Park, that's the only time I've ever heard it. :unsure:

I don't want to repost it, she only shared it with her friends. And the caption of the picture said, "My jelly fish!" and I was like, "Oh you have a saltwater tank? I have three pairs of clowns lol..." and she was all like, "Ja, ich hab ein clownfisch acuh!" and such...

It was just live rock and some jelly fish. Nothing else... I think there was only like one or maybe two jellies anyway...

i need to find a way to turn my cube tank into a kreisel or something

That's not very difficult to do. Just need fiberglass sheet, kydex, or korogard bent into a U shape and then silicone it in place. Then divert flow through a spraybar across an overflow screen. It is what we call a "pseudokreisel" because the top half of the circle is created by the water surface. In a true kreisel there is a full circle all under water.

Here is a diagram.

F4.medium.gif

Rather than using two separate pieces of plastic for the curved corners, it is much better to use one solid contiguous piece that covers the sides and bottom.

NOTE: No cheesy undergravel air driven filter with rocks for jellies to snag on. :rolleyes:

Edited by wombat

dude no way, I have access to an entire cnc shop, Im hoping to not have to silicon anything in. but naw I have 2 mp10's on that tank I was hoping to to figure out how to do a gyre with. if not I'll do the entire pseudokreisel thing

are the setups at cal academy usually circular or spherical? I also sort of enjoy that lion nudibranch, shes a beaut and i got 2 empty tanks sitting around!

Edited by supernip