Pod Your Reef

salinity 1.026

tarantulaman

tarantulaman

I made a mistake. When i was doing a water change i did not let the salt mix in the water for long. And when i tested it was 1.023 just like my tank . 2 days later i tested and now it is 1.026:o I do top water off every singe day. Next time i will let my salt sit for atleast 12 hours . My fish/cleanup crew do not seem to notice the diffrence. How should i go about lowering it with out any more stress ?

I run my tanks at 1.026 all the time, should be no problem.

Just lower it over a couple of days by periodically removing a cup of tank water and replacing with a cup of FW until you reach 1.023.

-skeletor-

c_hemmerich

my salinity is around 1.026 and i find that any lower than that my corals do not extend as much as they do when the sainity is lower than that... maybe just me but hey... it seems to be working

Mines 1.027

Make sure you have an accurate hydrometer. (You know, if it says 1.026 it might actually be higher or lower). I don't think doing a waterchange with slightly higher specific gravity would bother anything. But make sure that you don't let it get out of hand. Check your tank every once in awhile. If the SG gets too high, start doing water changes with 1.022 or something.

• 2 weeks later...
MyNanoIsBetter

When u do a water change or top off use your supposed to use fresh water. It wont lower your salinity and you dont have to risk salt burning your corals.

Archived