ReefCleaners.org

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

MeanGreenEyes
:D

I call OP the instant reefer. Look at the 5.5 picture!

That 5.5 is a year old this month...

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TeflonTomDosh
I got the tank undrilled, stand, live sand, snails, hermits, a few corals, clowns, nem, a crap-ton of frozen food, pellet food, supplements, a couple powerheads, bulk containers of BRS gfo, carbon, kalk, heater and a bunch of other stuff for $400 couldn't pass up the deal b/c the guy was moving...the seller even threw in a beautiful powder coated wooden stand that I moved the 2-5.5g's onto. With an offer like that I couldn't resist the upgrade and needed the room. Plus, having had sooooo many different tanks with different footprints...I love the 40 breeders. Thank you for the kind compliments! :)

Sounds good. Love me some CL, I picked up a 40b last week stocked with sand, LR, hermits, a clown, leopard wrasse, coral beauty, frogspawn, pipe organ, torch and misc mushrooms...oh, tank, stand, 250w halide 4x24w t5, reef octopus hob skimmer, and penguin filter, for 200 :)

eddiecorrea

That little 5.5 looks amazing! Reminds me of my old 10G. You said you are lighting it with the GU10 LEDs right? Any chance you can measure how tall they are from socket base to the end of the bulb? I'm interested in lighting my new tank(8g Cadlights) with GU10s but want to build a hanging housing.

MeanGreenEyes
self medicating with coral shopping is the best lol but nice 5.5 its packed and looking really healthy, i cant wait to see what you do with a 40 breeder

Thank you!

:D

I call OP the instant reefer. Look at the 5.5 picture!

Instant reefer?

Sounds good. Love me some CL, I picked up a 40b last week stocked with sand, LR, hermits, a clown, leopard wrasse, coral beauty, frogspawn, pipe organ, torch and misc mushrooms...oh, tank, stand, 250w halide 4x24w t5, reef octopus hob skimmer, and penguin filter, for 200 :)

Yeah...you got a steal!

Happy Birfday to the tank!

Thank you!

That little 5.5 looks amazing! Reminds me of my old 10G. You said you are lighting it with the GU10 LEDs right? Any chance you can measure how tall they are from socket base to the end of the bulb? I'm interested in lighting my new tank(8g Cadlights) with GU10s but want to build a hanging housing.

Thank you! Yes...I have 10 4x1w GU10's over the 5.5g that's pictured in this thread...they are 10 inches above the tank. Including socket they're about 2 1/2" to the end of the bulb. Check out TinyGiant's GU10 thread...I read through the whole thread before I decided to go with them and love them...no regrets...the only thing that I did different was that I used the 30* optics instead of ordering the 60* optics. I love them and highly recommend them for pico's...never tried them on a larger setup...thinking about switching to them on this build after these new ATI T5's age out in 6 months...seriously love them. They do not heat the tank at all...which I love...I have been able to keep anything and everything successfully with them except acro's...I only have one have inch acro frag that survived since the Dec. 4th frag swap and is encrusting the rock and showing great color/polyp extension...but again...I think it was due to placement b/c of limited space in the tank...the derasa clam has been in the tank I believe since the end of December and is getting huge...

d'Espresso

YAH! ANOTHER 40B! Welcome to the club.

your little tank made me smile and daym that is some great growth and looks healthy.

i like that scape so far and i guess you're just waiting for the sump to come in so that you can get everything ready to transfer. Wish you good luck!

MeanGreenEyes
Uh huh. You came on the scene like BAM, with these pretty tanks. And I'm still learning how to glue the dang corals down. :huh:

Should have explained...I hang out mostly on MR...decided to start posting over here as well...I get a bazillion views over there and little to no feedback...I suck at photography and so I don't post much. I've been in the hobby since I was 15...so 15 yrs between fresh/salt. Not a newb...I'm really addicted and spend a lot of time researching before I jump into action...researched forums for a year before I even jumped into salt and was encouraged by one friend that jumped from the FW forum into salt. As a Mom...it's the one thing I have/do for me for stress relief/relaxation. Just want to start branching out for once and making friends in the hobby...it gets boring having no one that understands/appreciates my tanks...friends/family think I have a few screws loose and just don't understand the hobby at all and think that it's a waste of time/effort/money.

Here's a few of my fw scapes:

55g

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

30g

IMAG0057.jpg

20g

IMAG0039.jpg

Current 20g high scape (very short video)...Cherry shimp and otocinclus

th_VIDEO0021.jpg

I broke down all but 2 of my fw tanks...can't bring myself to tear them down...it takes nothing to maintain them compared to salt...I still have the 55g and the 20g high in the video above. Then I have this 40g, 2-5.5g's, my daughter's 3g pico, and a 10g frag/QT tank.

Tanks all look great. Thinking about setting up my first freshwater planted tank in about 15 years and yours might have put me over the edge.

MeanGreenEyes
YAH! ANOTHER 40B! Welcome to the club.

your little tank made me smile and daym that is some great growth and looks healthy.

i like that scape so far and i guess you're just waiting for the sump to come in so that you can get everything ready to transfer. Wish you good luck!

Thank you! :) I get made fun of by the old heads...but I stand by my ghetto GU10's...lol

Actually scape wasn't planned in this tank...I just threw that in there for the time being...but the large rock w/ the ledges is gonna be dedicated to clams...yeah...it really sucks about the sump being delayed but I'm actually going to let this tank complete a full cycle and not add SPS/clams/my RBTA for about 6 months until the tank has aged a bit to support it all...don't want to lose anything.

I've actually been following your thread...so sorry about the ich...I've only had it in one of my freshwater tanks once a long time ago...now I QT everything before it goes into my tanks unless it comes from a trusted hobbiest. I love your scape though.

MeanGreenEyes
Tanks all look great. Thinking about setting up my first freshwater planted tank in about 15 years and yours might have put me over the edge.

Thanks! You should do it...I love mine...little to no maintenance...besides weekly water changes. The fw side of the hobby has advanced a lot in the last 15 yrs... "theplantedtank" website is an excellent reference...all but the 20g high in the video have diy paintball CO2 setups and are/were dosed with dry ferts. The 20g high I've never dosed or ran CO2 on...just weekly 10% water changes.

Yep, seen you on MR and you're right not much feed bakc there. As for your tanks: :bowdown:

Hope you'll join the lady reefers club for brunch.

Should have explained...I hang out mostly on MR...decided to start posting over here as well...I get a bazillion views over there and little to no feedback...I suck at photography and so I don't post much. I've been in the hobby since I was 15...so 15 yrs between fresh/salt. Not a newb...I'm really addicted and spend a lot of time researching before I jump into action...researched forums for a year before I even jumped into salt and was encouraged by one friend that jumped from the FW forum into salt. As a Mom...it's the one thing I have/do for me for stress relief/relaxation. Just want to start branching out for once and making friends in the hobby...it gets boring having no one that understands/appreciates my tanks...friends/family think I have a few screws loose and just don't understand the hobby at all and think that it's a waste of time/effort/money.

Here's a few of my fw scapes:

55g

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

30g

IMAG0057.jpg

20g

IMAG0039.jpg

Current 20g high scape (very short video)...Cherry shimp and otocinclus

th_VIDEO0021.jpg

I broke down all but 2 of my fw tanks...can't bring myself to tear them down...it takes nothing to maintain them compared to salt...I still have the 55g and the 20g high in the video above. Then I have this 40g, 2-5.5g's, my daughter's 3g pico, and a 10g frag/QT tank.

MeanGreenEyes
Yep, seen you on MR and you're right not much feed bakc there. As for your tanks: :bowdown:

Hope you'll join the lady reefers club for brunch.

Thank you and I would love to...just lmk the details...

cableguy69846

I must say, the 40 will shape up to be a good looking tank judging by your other tanks. I too, am just starting up a salt tank and have 2 freshwater planted as well. I love your scapes and think they all look fantastic. Keep it up.

MeanGreenEyes
I must say, the 40 will shape up to be a good looking tank judging by your other tanks. I too, am just starting up a salt tank and have 2 freshwater planted as well. I love your scapes and think they all look fantastic. Keep it up.

Thank you! There's a wealth of info. online...any answer is at your fingertips with a little research...post a link to your build thread in your Sig! And good luck!

Spirofucci

Cool, another NY lady reefer! Love your FW as well as the SW. Can't wait to see what you do with the 40!

BTW, welcome!

MeanGreenEyes
Cool, another NY lady reefer! Love your FW as well as the SW. Can't wait to see what you do with the 40!

BTW, welcome!

Thank you...I'm really excited...

I love your FW planteds as much as your little reef!!!!! Sorry things didn't quite work out for Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to seeing the 40B going too :)

MeanGreenEyes
I love your FW planteds as much as your little reef!!!!! Sorry things didn't quite work out for Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to seeing the 40B going too :)

Thank you...Monday is almost over...just a few more days... :)

MeanGreenEyes

My clown's and RBTA in their holding tank until this tank is ready...there are 10 3x1w GU10 LED'S that have been over this 5.5g holding the nem since march and the nem hasn't moved from that spot on the rock since it was purchased...for those that don't believe that GU10's can successfully support a nem...

DSCF1215.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

Trumpets splitting...

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1204-1.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Wow...what a beauty!!!!! You have some amazing tanks :happy:

Thank you...they are my form of stress relief...probably why I have so many...lol :)

• 4 weeks later...
MeanGreenEyes
Miss Green, where are you?

Stressed doesn't even begin to describe it. Since the 40B that I had cracked about an inch from the bulkhead the first time that I plugged the return pump in I had to basically start over. Ordered a new deep blue 40B, putting in a order to have the pieces of acrylic cut to make an overflow box and will be drilling this tank from the bottom and the overflow placed in the center of the back wall. Have to redo the plumbing too. A couple friend's are gonna be helping me with it this weekend b/c I only have Sat./Sun. to complete everything. Gotta have it up and running by Sunday night. I put water, live rock and everything into a spare standard 30g and am running an Aquaclear on the tank. Sand in a 5g bucked and a powerhead in the sump to keep water circulation in the meantime. So it looks like I'll be starting the cycle all over again... :tears::(

How are your tanks doing? Were you ever able to add your sump?

Archived