Top Shelf Aquatics

Keydivers 57g rimless "deep blue"

keydiver

nice find, im a little jealous! hopefully the livestock will match the equipment :)

Thanks guys! My livestock is going to be top notch. No dull stuff will be going in this one

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered a bubble magus doser. I think i'm gonna use my origianl BRS doser to supply a steady stream of rotifers or marine snow at set periods throughout the night. How does this sound?

I'll then be using the bubble magus for calcium, alk, and magnesium.

That gives me a left over single aquamedic doser. Not sure what I'd want to do with it, any ideas? I could always sell it for extra coral funds.

altolamprologus
Just ordered a bubble magus doser. I think i'm gonna use my origianl BRS doser to supply a steady stream of rotifers or marine snow at set periods throughout the night. How does this sound?

I'll then be using the bubble magus for calcium, alk, and magnesium.

That gives me a left over single aquamedic doser. Not sure what I'd want to do with it, any ideas? I could always sell it for extra coral funds.

You should use the doser for a mix of rotifers and phytoplankton. Your corals will so incredibly happy with that. Oh and maybe some baby brine shrimp once a week or something.

Do you have an ATO? If not, you can use the extra doser for that

eddiecorrea

I'm glad you are happy with the LED light I sold you. Tank looks great.

You should use the doser for a mix of rotifers and phytoplankton. Your corals will so incredibly happy with that. Oh and maybe some baby brine shrimp once a week or something.

Do you have an ATO? If not, you can use the extra doser for that

I could probably do that. I was just thinking rotifers because I can get them for free whenever, but i'm sure RSMAS has phyto too. In fact i'm sure of it. They use nanochloripsis to make rotifer stock.

I have an aqualifter running my ATO, which is honestly fine by me. It's hooked to my apex and works like a charm. I'd much rather just sell this pump for $$ than swap it for the aqualifter, as it does it's job fine and is a cheap pump anyways.

I'm glad you are happy with the LED light I sold you. Tank looks great.

It works absolutely great! fits so perfectly in that little section that my fuge is in. I'm really happy it's as slim as it is, it makes working around in that little fuge so much easier than it would be with a bulkier light. thanks again man

If you don't already add kalkwasser with your top off water you could use your extra doser to add small amounts of kalk. You could set it to do so during the night to help with overnight pH drop. Small doses shouldn't throw off your alk much unless the kalk solution is extremely saturated.

Having the controller and the doser would allow you to really control the amount of kalk you add and when.

If you don't already add kalkwasser with your top off water you could use your extra doser to add small amounts of kalk. You could set it to do so during the night to help with overnight pH drop. Small doses shouldn't throw off your alk much unless the kalk solution is extremely saturated.

Having the controller and the doser would allow you to really control the amount of kalk you add and when.

That's an option! I'll have to look into kalk as i've never dealt with it yet.

I'm also planning on sugar and vodka dosing. I'll start off slow so I can get it just right. So I could use the doser for that as well I suppose.

Kalk is a great way to help regulate pH and help with Calcium. Too much will swing your alk and pH. Do some reading up on it. I use it in my top off water but if something happens and my top off stays stuck it will keep dumping kalk water in my tank. This has crashed many a person's tank. This is why people want you to check your top off laser eyes and float sensors (outside of flooding) to make sure they are working properly.

A doser would be a better way of adding kalk to a system since there is no laser eye or float sensor to foul up. The only issue would be having a controller mess up.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Kalk is a great way to help regulate pH and help with Calcium. Too much will swing your alk and pH. Do some reading up on it. I use it in my top off water but if something happens and my top off stays stuck it will keep dumping kalk water in my tank. This has crashed many a person's tank. This is why people want you to check your top off laser eyes and float sensors (outside of flooding) to make sure they are working properly.

A doser would be a better way of adding kalk to a system since there is no laser eye or float sensor to foul up. The only issue would be having a controller mess up.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

That sounds pretty solid. The only thing in worried about is the doser itself. The aquamedics are

Notorious for back siphoning, and a ton of kalk back siphoned into the tank wouldn't be too great either. Hmmm

Your tadpoles are doing great papa lol...I have to take a good look and see if I see any legs a poppin' yet :D

Haha glad to hear it!!! They should be popping legs fairly soon. I've morphed out about 25 froglets since I sold you those and I'm so impressed with the coloration. Most only have a bit of black. Several have had no black whatsoever save a cute little spot of black. And then the others were very very yellow. You'll be happy, I'm sure of it

CuC is doing their job really well. I'm going to start stocking within the next week or so.

Does anybody know of anybody selling a bright orange plate or other cool color? I really want some quality pieces in this tank.

For the sandbed, I want an acan garden, rainbow wellsophyllia, and a couple plate corals.

Pretty big update:

1. Ordered my second mp-10 and it should be here Monday

2. Got my bubble magus doser in and mounted it inside the stand

3. Playing with the BRS 2 part to get my alk and calc where I want it

4. Red sea test kits in the mail

5. I made the decision to start vodka dosing but will not begin until my test kits arrive.

6. I traded some corals from my old tank and started moving stuff over to this one. I now have in this tank:

joker acans (green w/ purple insides)

sunrise acan (bright orange w/ yellow mouths)

peppermint acan (blue and red striped)

an awesome orange plate with blue polyps

7. I placed an order with aquasd.com. Here's what's coming in the mail :D

http://www.aquasd.com/cart/index.php?route...product_id=4684

http://www.aquasd.com/cart/index.php?route...product_id=4187

Sorry for the lack of updates, pics will follow soon!

Man do I have a picture update to do...

Anyways, my first (of 2) vortech mp-10's is running on the tank. The other is on my biocube and will be added once I break down my old setup.

I also just placed an order (thanks again longpig) for 10p sunny D, 8p jokers, 5p pink and golds, 2p blue hornets, and a small green plate. My zoa garden is gonna be killer. Now my updated zoa list is:

Sunny D

Jokers

pink and gold

blue hornet

purple hornet

magician

cornbreads punk rockers

lunar eclipse

rastas

mohawks

captain americas

whammin watermelons

radioactive dragons eyes

KO nightmares

nuclear greens

purple deaths

not sure if I'm forgetting any, but YAY!

I've slowly been moving stuff over to this tank. Really anxious to get my test kits in the mail so I can begin my dosing regime for 2 part, magnesium, and vodka.

Tested for trates and phates today, and I've begun my vodka dosing. Here's some pics! My ATO reservior was too small so I dedicated a whole side section to a 5.5g tank for my top off.

57gupdate7-3-12014.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12012.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12011.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12013.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12004.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12006.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12007.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12005.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12003.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12002.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12009.jpg

57gupdate7-3-12010.jpg

Killer setup! I love the rimless tank it looks awesome. How are you liking the ai's?

Thanks man!

I absolutely adore my AI's. They're perfect. I've only got them on 45% power right now and I haven't toyed with the Blue, White, and Royal blue balance yet, but I intend to. In sync with my VDM, I think it's awesome that my moonlights get more/less intense as does the actual moon. Ahhh technology

Amphiprion1

Everything looks great so far. I like that you are sporting those reef temperatures, too. I think you may appreciate the extra growth potential.

Everything looks great so far. I like that you are sporting those reef temperatures, too. I think you may appreciate the extra growth potential.

Thanks amphi! We're gonna see how it goes with the sps. I tend to keep my reefs in the 81-282 range with good success.

I transferred over my zoa collection today. They're all residing on the base rock of the left tower. Once they grow out on their plugs in a while, I'll slice parts of the colony and refrag them directly onto the base rock so the frag plugs aren't an eyesore.

Loving the tank. That scape is killer!

Any worries about the Coris picking on shrimp or cuc?

Thanks bud!

Not really worried, he's a long time resident of my old tank and he hasn't bothered stuff much. But if he does I'll give him the boot. I originally got him to eat flatworms when I had an outbreak, but he's cool.

animalmaster6
Not really worried, he's a long time resident of my old tank and he hasn't bothered stuff much. But if he does I'll give him the boot. I originally got him to eat flatworms when I had an outbreak, but he's cool.

Sounds good. :happy:

Archived