Pod Your Reef

Keydivers 57g rimless "deep blue"

keydiver

Hi everybody. This is my build for my new 57g rimless tank by deep blue. It's the edge model. I snagged it up on CL along witht eh stand for an unbeatable price, so figured it was time for a new, very clean, very top notch build. I'll be going to college soon and I need something that's as automated as possible so i'm not spending more time on it than I am my studies. Here goes nothing:

Tank:

57 deep blue edge rimless

Lighting:

TBD (most likely AI sols)

Flow:

vortech mp10es

quiet one 3300 return

Sump and filtration:

eshopps RS 75 sump

filter sock mechanical

chemi-pure elite chemical

2.5g external refugium biological

Controller:

Apex aquacontroller

dislpay unit

lab grade pH probe

temp probe

ATO w/ break out box

Dosing:

2 BRS 1.1 ml automatic dosers

BRS 2 part mix

Rock work and sand:

40lbs BRS eco-saver dry rock

60lbs fine grade oolitic sand

Livestock:

None yet, i'll be transferring everything from my old tank over eventually

Skimmer:

TBD- need some help here

So, I just started the buil. My sump should be here in a couple days. I need to program my apex, mount my dosers, figure out lighting and skimming, get ATO functional, and finish all my plumbing. Today was my first day actually starting the build. So far I've plumbed the drain with a T splitter and nylon tubing. One side goes to the sump, the other end goes to my external fuge. I installed a ball valve on the fuge end of the hose to regulate flow. The fuge will then empty out in the return section of my sump.

I'm also thinking I'm going to plumb in a small frag tank or quarantine, but That part is still in the works. Then I'm going to have an ATO reservoir on one of teh four shevles. That leaves one shelf left. I'm thinking I'll put all my apex components together in one shelf compartment for easy access and clean organization. So the shelves ( 2 on either side of main compartment where the sump will go), will be as follows:

Left side top: fuge

Left side bottom: Frag tank? QT tank?

Right side top: ATO reservoir

Right side bottom: Apex stuff and dosers

Here's pics of the rockwork and the plumbing I've done so far. It's just a start. My rockwork has been epoxied because I like it where it is, but I will make a couple small additions/adjustments. Comments would be great. Ignore the random rock pile in the left corner, it's just scrap.

finalrockwork018.jpg

finalrockwork004.jpg

finalrockwork017.jpg

finalrockwork003.jpg

finalrockwork002.jpg

stuff002.jpg

stuff004.jpg

finalrockwork019.jpg

finalrockwork020.jpg

finalrockwork024.jpg

finalrockwork014.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

I like the looks of this tank so far. Subscribed :)

A quarantine tank plumbed to the main tank kinda defeats the purpose of quarantine. A frag tank or a second fuge would be much better.

I like the looks of this tank so far. Subscribed :)

A quarantine tank plumbed to the main tank kinda defeats the purpose of quarantine. A frag tank or a second fuge would be much better.

The QT would be separate, but I'm thinking a 3g tank would be far too unstable for a quarantine. I'll most likely go with a msall frag tank and just go BB completely lined with PVC on 1" risers, giving me a lot of room for frags. I'd like to keep them out of my display anyhow.

I agree, nice scape!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I was kinda skeptical of the BRS rock but it's awesome

Thinking about going with a SWC 160 cone skimmer. I want some input from people. Is that overkill? It fits in my sup and in my stand. I'm fairly new to skimmer- I usually go with natural filtration.

Got my sump in today, finalized my plumbing, now I'm just waiting for my silicon around my bulkheads to cure. Then it'll be ready to fill.

I switched out that 2.5g fuge for a 3g jbj picotope I had lying around, just because it looks nicer IMO rimless and whatnot.

I also bought an ASMg-1 skimmer on the forums for a dirt cheap price that should fit perfectly in my sump.

This build is really coming along, I'm very pleased with the way it's turned out.

Things to do list:

1. fill tank and leak test plumbing

2. install BRS dosing pumps and make sure they're honed in and operational

3. Program my apex lite

4. Get brackets and probe holders for the ATO system

5. Get my sand in and put it in the tank

6. get skimmer and install it

Should be a fun next couple weeks!

I'll update with pictures as soon as I can.

Got my sand in! I'm in the process of filling the tank up with RODI, then i'll add salt. I also installed my dosing pumps.

tankinside5-15003.jpg

tankinside5-15006.jpg

tankinside5-15004.jpg

tankinside5-15009.jpg

tankinside5-15008.jpg

I'll put up pics of the dosing system later. The tubes go through the stand into the bottom right shelf to keep it clean.

Tomorrow I'm planning on finishing filling it up, mixing salt, and possibly installing my apex.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW i haven't been keeping up with this thread. It's been pretty busy over ehre. Got my apex installed and partially programmed. My AI sol's are on the way and sand and water are in the tank. ATO system is in place and still working on the dosing system. I decided on an ASM-G1 skimmer and it's running great. The tank s nice and clear so i'll get pics ASAP. Some things I need to take care of:

1. my pH is at 8.0, i'm assuming it's due to the cycle?

2. work out my dosing pumps and schedule( I may scrap the aquamedic and go with all identical pumps or a bubble magus)

3. get my AI sol's in and program them to my VDM so they'll work with my controller

4. organize all my plugs and cords

5. install some shelves inside the doors of the stand for additives, coral RX, tools, ect.

6. get a new return (the drive shaft on mine isn't working correctly and it sometimes doesn't start back up after feed mode so if anybody is selling a nice return LMK, or if anybody knows how to fix this issue because I tried without luck)

Also: playing with the idea of using my 3g picotope as both a fuge and frag tank. I was thinking I could put a layer of eggcrate on pvc rising with a small powerhead underneath the eggcrate. Then put cheato or ochtodes under the eggcrate so it would tumble/grow underneath my frags. Is this a feasible idea? If I was housing frags in there i'd be using LED's so enough light would filter through the eggcrate to reach the macros.

I'll get pics up soon, I swear.

here's some long overdue pics. I've had the tank running with water in it for the last 2 weeks. I have a new return on the way (one that's not faulty, it's an eheim 1260). I also have my second AI sol blue and a VDM module for my apex on teh way. Everything should be ehre by the end of the week.

I still have a couple things left to do:

1. mount and install lighting

2. install new return

3. Get some LR and LS from my biocube into this tank to seed it

4. I might buy a second EB8

5. I don't really like my dosing system. I have 2 different speed pumps and my EB8 is full already. I may get a triple doser like a magus or aquamedic, or just get an additional EB8 and run 2 more BRS dosers. (ideas)

6. check up on my pH. it's at 7.95, IDK why. My SG is perfect and I mixed with RODI, according to the salt mix instructions (red sea coral pro). I should have my pH hovering around 8.3? I need help here

7. Organize my stand, I'm going to add shelves to the inside of the doors to store additives, coral-RX, fragging equipment, plugs, ect.

8. Decide whether I'm going to try to use teh 3g "fuge" as a frag tank as well, or just run it solely as a fuge for nutrient export

Anyways, Pictures. Not too many people following my thread anyways but hopefully I get some traffic and a couple kind souls to help me out.

FTS 5/29/12

57gupdate014.jpg

left side

57gupdate019.jpg

right side

57gupdate020.jpg

57gupdate018.jpg

fuge/ frag tank on top, ATO/dosing jugs on bottom

57gupdate013.jpg

sump FTS

57gupdate007.jpg

ASM G-1 skimmer w/ gate valve mod

57gupdate009.jpg

third chamber with probes, probe holder, and ATO switches

57gupdate011.jpg

57gupdate010.jpg

dosers (as of now)

57gupdate012.jpg

apex display

57gupdate006.jpg

Great build. You certainly have an eye for detail/planning. Unfortunately I tend to add on as I go in an ad hock fashion. Looking forward to seeing this box stocked!

Steve

Great build. You certainly have an eye for detail/planning. Unfortunately I tend to add on as I go in an ad hock fashion. Looking forward to seeing this box stocked!

Steve

Thanks for the kind words!

I love the rock you put on your wall. Anything you plan on putting on it?

Yeah that rock was a pain and a half to stick. But totally worth it. I'm not sure what i'll do on that rock yet. I could do something very agressive because it's isolated, or just a small sps island. We'll see. Maybe mini maxi rock :)

BOOM SHAKALAKA! Lighting mounted. I just used large wall brackets ith dry wall anchors and it came out really well. My second AI will be here tomorrow.

aisolmount002.jpg

aisolmount005.jpg

aisolmount003.jpg

aisolmount004.jpg

I found some seachem pH buffer that I had lying around from my biocube and added it to the tank. Within 10 minutes, my pH spiked to exactly 8.3. Should I be worried about it fluctuating like crazy or just roll with it? I don't know how reliable this product is but I remember it worked really well for my biocube as well. I don't even know what caused the low pH in the first place. My SG is at 1.026

altolamprologus
I found some seachem pH buffer that I had lying around from my biocube and added it to the tank. Within 10 minutes, my pH spiked to exactly 8.3. Should I be worried about it fluctuating like crazy or just roll with it? I don't know how reliable this product is but I remember it worked really well for my biocube as well. I don't even know what caused the low pH in the first place. My SG is at 1.026

Those buffers usually just contain carbonates that temporarily increase pH, usually for no more than a day. I wouldn't mess with it.

Amphiprion1

I wouldn't use it because of the borate content, unless you intend to monitor it. The pH is currently fine, as is/was the shift. If you want to increase the pH for the long term, encourage a fair amount plant and/or algal growth or use something like kalkwasser for top off.

I wouldn't use it because of the borate content, unless you intend to monitor it. The pH is currently fine, as is/was the shift. If you want to increase the pH for the long term, encourage a fair amount plant and/or algal growth or use something like kalkwasser for top off.

Thanks amphi. I was just a little perplexed at the fact that a straight 50g of red sea pro coral mix with rodi water wouldn't yield the correct pH. It says it's formulated for use with RO, could the DI have an effect on the pH of the salt mix? I'm planning on starting a fuge, but shouldn't I let me tank cycle first?

Amphiprion1
Thanks amphi. I was just a little perplexed at the fact that a straight 50g of red sea pro coral mix with rodi water wouldn't yield the correct pH. It says it's formulated for use with RO, could the DI have an effect on the pH of the salt mix? I'm planning on starting a fuge, but shouldn't I let me tank cycle first?

DI should bring pH as close to neutral as possible, actually, since it is exchanging both OH- and H+ ions, making pure water. It will combine later with CO2 to become more acidic, however. The same applies to freshly mixed seawater that has equilibrated with air in the room where it is stored as well as your tanks. It may indeed mix to roughly the lower 8s, but it won't necessarily always stay that way depending upon CO2 concentrations.

As far as the 'fuge goes, you don't necessarily have to wait if you want to add macroalgae and/or plants. They will likely appreciate any ammonium you may provide them.

Archived