Top Shelf Aquatics

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

herranton
For of all of you bashing the ATS, what evidence or experience have you to back up your overconfidence of its uselessness?

There are 2 threads on NR, both over 10 pages that outline why the general consensus on ATSs on nanoreefs are a bad idea. Read the first reply again.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread...-Scrubber-(UAS)

27 page thread about the scrubber from the same OP.

We have those too..

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248542

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168137

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are 2 threads on NR, both over 10 pages that outline why the general consensus on ATSs on nanoreefs are a bad idea. Read the first reply again.

We have those too..

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248542

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168137

No herranton that was before. The time is ripe now for this idea to re-emerge. He waited long enough for the old guard to die out and a new crop of sheep to emerge.

We shouldn't mock his resilient cancer like ability to re-emerge with the same garbage over and over

Chrisl1976

Ithrew in two emerald crabs in my tank with my cuc. I had mass HA that was over 1-2" long. One week later, they had picked the tank 90% clean.

Downside is I now have two emeralds crabs that look to be verging on hungry.

No herranton that was before. The time is ripe now for this idea to re-emerge. He waited long enough for the old guard to die out and a new crop of sheep to emerge.

We shouldn't mock his resilient cancer like ability to re-emerge with the same garbage over and over

I thought I smelled familiarity...

I'm not joining with that Santa Monica guy. I personally dislike that kind of pushiness to the max.

It's just that people doom that ATS system as a rule without having any personal connection to it further than SM guy being a tool. And comparison to H2O2 doesn't really fit the bill as one is chemically killing it and other is stripping water from nutrients thus preventing algal growth. Both work, skimmers work too.. Mutual goal here? Anyone?

I'm not joining with that Santa Monica guy. I personally dislike that kind of pushiness to the max.

It's just that people doom that ATS system as a rule without having any personal connection to it further than SM guy being a tool. And comparison to H2O2 doesn't really fit the bill as one is chemically killing it and other is stripping water from nutrients thus preventing algal growth. Both work, skimmers work too.. Mutual goal here? Anyone?

the problem we had last time wasnt the method, as the consensus was that it was a viable one. what bugged us was his selling of it, and a lot of flaws in his logic. for example, his insistent that this method was superior to skimming and eliminated the need for waterchanges.

no offense but as the hobby has progressed, we left this method behind because it was superseded by more efficient means.

and the assertion that in tanks as small as ours, that this localization of hair and turf algae would prevent hair algae build up elsewhere is sort of ridiculous. our water column is for all intents and purposes homogenous in chemical composition imo.

I can do what he does with decorative macros with less effort, less equipment and in a more aesthetically pleasing manner

JamesHL88
Both work, skimmers work too.. Mutual goal here? Anyone?

Well dont you know there is only one way to do anything in this hobby? No this isnt a hobby of experimentation and evolving techniques. This is a hobby of do exactly what the people with the highest post count say to do. Because it is the only way to do things, and their ways can not be improved upon.

edit: just wanted to add that i havent read the previous thread. I just smelled a flame off coming and i wanna get my foot in the door :P ...... now ..... LETS FIGHT!

Totally with you Nip! As I stated earlier it's not really well suited for smaller aquariums, but does work at larger scale with SPS reefs and FOWLR systems battling to keep nutrients down.

Personally I have NO3 at 0,5ppm and undetectable PO4 with my macro, skimmer and biopellets.

I have scrubbers on my three SW nano 10G's. Just last year I made one for my 40G SW because of the success I had with them. I bashed them for years too. I thought they were junk and no good as well. So I guess I have eaten a little crow as I have just made one for my 150G SW tank a couple weeks ago to. After doing SW for better then a couple decades I have learned that there is a few many ways to run a SW tank. Everyone has their preference and way of doing it. The important thing is that the way that they use works for them. I like to have knowledge about the hobby even if its something I do not use.

really? thats supercool. thanks for finally coming out of the woodworks after decades in the hobby to vouch for this method. and it's your first post to boot!

JamesHL88
Personally I have NO3 at 0,5ppm and undetectable PO4 with my macro, skimmer and biopellets.

Personally i have no clue what my parameters are. I dont own a test kit or a skimmer.

Lol i wanna see the full wrath of the lounge come down on this thread. Ive been bored ever since rudy vasquez thread got locked.

really? thats supercool. thanks for finally coming out of the woodworks after decades in the hobby to vouch for this method. and it's your first post to boot!

Lmao. Dont be so hard, nips.

Get it?

"Hard nips"

Bazinga!

Totally with you Nip! As I stated earlier it's not really well suited for smaller aquariums, but does work at larger scale with SPS reefs and FOWLR systems battling to keep nutrients down.

why are they not suited for smaller aquariums? i have an algae turf scrubber believer! the concept is sound and it works....even in nanos. this new UAS is an interesting idea. i have a traditional scrubber in my nano and its been working great! i have a 29 bio cube and have 10 fish in my tank and feed 2x a day. i keep all sorts of corals, softies and hard. they are all doing great and my water parameters are stable. i havent done a water change in over 2 months. i just does seachem to replace elements.

check out my sig.

I'm new to the whole nano reef thing myself... and yet the siren call of "No nusiance algae! Never scrape again!" is so very tempting...

Then in a brief moment of sanity I realized that my tank's got a grand total of 4 square feet of glass surface, a quarter of which has almost no algae growth on it due to being tinted black. And I have to scrape it anyways, or coraline will eventually build up on the glass. This takes 10 minutes a week to do, tops.

Ditto on water changes...one gallon a week's really not breaking the bank from a time or dollar perspective. I'm betting I'll spend way more than that futzing around with a turf scrubber. Plus, where in the tank would I fit it? A Hydor 280 seem huge in there at the moment.

Not saying turf scrubbers don't have their place, but in a setting where water changes do far more than nutrient export it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Edit: A 29 gallon, heavily stocked Biocube may be pushing the definition of a "nano-reef". Given that there's real estate to play with in the back chambers and a clearly defined excess of waste and feeding requirements I'd sat it is a prime case for using a turf scrubber, as it IS a larger scale tank. Choose the solution that best fits the problem, I guess.

brandon429

I've seen a recurring theme on threads that purvey any kind of algae prevention/treatment

Those whose tanks are working fine decry posted methods in favor of what works for them. I almost never see them take on another problem thread and see it through until cure...especially if common methods aren't working. They tend to shy away and stop posting.

Its a whole 'nother ball of yarn to get into someone elses problem thread and see it through, if sm does that with ATS permutations more power to him

Its not easy trying to use ones success methods on other tanks...alternate methods need to be investigated. I'm not a fan of housing hair algae and i'm sure he's not a fan of peroxide lol

At least controversial methods have some supporters on both sides, whatever moves the hobby forward i'm for.

Whatever it is, the status quo sucks

I've been seeing the same algae threads for ten years, other than the occasional dent nobody has made real headway including armchair critics who haven't contributed new ideas to at least test...

Bongo Shrimp

All you have to do is keep the proper parameters in you tank and keep them stable and you won't have any algae problems. Increasing your mag also helps. IMO the algae scrubber is a workaround for not having proper parameters. (Oh and have good light bulbs)

I have scrubbers on my three SW nano 10G's. Just last year I made one for my 40G SW because of the success I had with them. I bashed them for years too. I thought they were junk and no good as well. So I guess I have eaten a little crow as I have just made one for my 150G SW tank a couple weeks ago to. After doing SW for better then a couple decades I have learned that there is a few many ways to run a SW tank. Everyone has their preference and way of doing it. The important thing is that the way that they use works for them. I like to have knowledge about the hobby even if its something I do not use.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

post count 1, creditably count 0

SantaMonica
why are they not suited for smaller aquariums?

The chemistry is the same as bigger tanks, of course, however the previous waterfall versions were basically impossible to install on a nano.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Keep up your reefs, don't overstock fish, don't overfeed!

My tank is almost a year and never had hair algae, but just last month I did the unthinkable. I invited my girlfriend to the warehouse to purchase guppies for her fresh water tank.

I had only two purple firefish and yosha goby, in my 25 gallon cube.

She twist my arm and makes me come home with three more fish; Royal Gramma and Six-line wrasse and Yellow head goby.

Then a customer walks into my LFS and donates a Clownfish that is malnurished and he can't keep!

I break in and take him home!

All new hungry mouths to feed and the food index goes up! In just under 3 weeks hair algae from hell appears and starts doing it's thing!

Simple solution?

Don't come home with new pets when you are at max capacity! I made a mistake and now I'm having to deal with with excessive nutrient overload!

MG

Archived