ReefCleaners.org

Boo's box of saltwater

ReeferBoo

Hey All, I'm Roland and I've been a regular lurker in NR for more than a year-and-a-half now. I've been into the hobby for roughly the same amount of time. I got hooked when my girlfriend and I got a 5 gallon tank with a few freshwater fish, then I decided that I wanted one too but the girlfriend suggested that I try something different...and the rest, as they say... is history. B)

Recent FTS-May 2012

may_12800x416.jpg

Started with a "saltwater tank package" offered by a local LFS (I'm from the Philippines btw). Inclusions of the said package were a 20 gallon tank, an overhead filter, a cheapo light, a floating hydrometer, some saltwater, sand and some liverock (all for a little over 30$)

DSCN3349.jpg

At this point, I had very little knowledge about keeping a captive reef, and as you can see, the set-up I ended up with left a lot to be desired. So while cycling the tank, I did a lot of reading (it's a good thing that the local LFS introduced me to a local reef forum), and I went ahead and added a 15G sump, 2 wavemakers, an appropriate lighting fixture, and a few more lbs of liverock.

This is what I ended up with

DSC03901modified.jpg

After adding the first few batches of livestock

05082011407modified.jpg

fast forward a few weeks/months and the tank looked like this

P6170010modified.jpg

to this

DSCN4718modified.jpg

and this

DSCN4903modified.jpg

and this

P6150106modified.jpg

just kidding :D :D

After a year, this is how the tank looked like

DSCN5513modified.jpg

As, you can see, I was in dire need of additional space for my coral frags (I am absolutely in love with zoas and ricordeas and couldn't have enough). This is why I decided to upgrade to a slightly bigger tank with much wider and shallower dimensions.

and thus,

P3170551480x640.jpg

The "big transfer day"

P3140524640x453.jpg

The final product

newtank_29478x640.jpg

The new tank's dimensions are: 24x22x12, I also added a bigger sump 20G

recent FTS

newtank_18640x377.jpg

newtank_16640x480.jpg

newtank_13552x640.jpg

Current tank details:

-24x22x12 DT, with a laser-cut overflow box

-24x16x12 Sump, 3 chambers

Chamber 1:intake of overflow, heater, a few lbs of LR, some brittle stars and a scarlet hermit

Chamber 2: fuge, a huge ball of chaeto and some type of caulerpa, more liverocks, more brittle stars, and a pair of halloween hermits

Chamber 3: return pump and AC

Filtration:

-Around 40+ lbs of Liverock

-Chaeto

Equipment:

2 3watt Resun Wavemakers

Haqos heater

Resun s-1500 return pump

Aquazonic 24" quad t5HO 2actinic blue and 2 12000K super sun whites

Aquahouse fuge light

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks beautiful!

Do you get some nice corals over there?

Maybe you could even find some broken off frags by some of the reefs..

Nice.

Thanks! we do have a nice selection of corals here since we have access to a sizable area of the Indo-Pacific. I now try to stay away from wild collected corals though and stick to the tank raised frags from local reefers.

Looks beautiful!

Do you get some nice corals over there?

Maybe you could even find some broken off frags by some of the reefs..

Nice.

Nice tank

bwoodward0012

makes me wish i still lived in Guam. my dad had a 40 gallon when we lived there in the early 90's that he completely stocked with things he collected while diving, even finding a baby moray hitcher that was in our tank for like a month before we found it because the fish were starting to disappear. I probably wouldn't collect from the wild but i loved being able to snorkel and dive and see it all. nice progress, whats that other shallow tank in the background of the new set up before the transfer?

Nice tank

Thank you :)

Beautiful tank, nice and clean. Love the scape.

Nice tank in your bedroom!

Thanks! I'm thinking about moving that big LPS island on the right to the back of the tank so that I'll have more space at the front, there are a few zoanthids and a green lobophyllia behind it, but it's hard to see them when the euphyllias are in full bloom

How I wish that was my bedroom! lol, It's from an ocean-themed hotel in Manila, stayed there one weekend as a birthday present from my girlfriend B) I'm sooo thankful that she supports my hobby :lol: :lol:

makes me wish i still lived in Guam. my dad had a 40 gallon when we lived there in the early 90's that he completely stocked with things he collected while diving, even finding a baby moray hitcher that was in our tank for like a month before we found it because the fish were starting to disappear. I probably wouldn't collect from the wild but i loved being able to snorkel and dive and see it all. nice progress, whats that other shallow tank in the background of the new set up before the transfer?

Thank you! Wow that must have been fun, the nearest beach is a 3 hour drive from where I live, so I don't get to visit it often, but I love snorkeling and I jump at every opportunity to visit some of the most pristine waters around the Philippines. In fact, I just came back from a trip to Sorsogon Island, where I had the most breathtaking experience of swimming with whalesharks. Here are a few photos :D

whale640x480.jpg

whale_2640x480.jpg

P3050238640x480.jpg

That other tank was supposed to be a frag tank, but I scrapped the idea, and it's now sitting in the storage room, along with all the other unused aquarium stuff. :lol:

Thank you for the kind words Jail1985

Here are a few random shots of my livestock when they were in the old tank

DSCN4722modified.jpg

DSCN4936modified.jpg

DSCN5062modified.jpg

DSCN5072modified.jpg

DSCN5508modified.jpgDSCN5555modified.jpg

DSCN5585modified.jpg

ReeferBoo

page 2 yey! :lol:

Thank you Paigee :) They're all from local waters, the one with a metallic orange middle though is from HK. It's my only imported coral

ReeferBoo

Thanks JR :happy: , you have an awesome build yourself, that stand is sooooo organized, and the scape is killer.

That sucks, but then you have pretty sweet ricordea floridas over there, so that more than makes up for it IMO :lol:

Archived