Innovative Marine Aquariums

Unofficial "TANKED" Season Two Discussion

Euphyllia

Amphiprion1
I think If they focused more on the livestock it wouldn't be as good I believe. IMHO I think keeping the focus on the tanks is the best way to go IMO.

From the standpoint of the general public, I certainly can't argue. That translates into views and ratings for them, which is what they are after. But from our comparatively small niche point of view, it is a big letdown or at the very least, it only covers a fraction of the story/experience one gets out of having an aquarium.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kevinlogan42

For what the show is I think they do a good job of sparking interest. I know before I started my nano reef I was fascinated by how much more colorful a saltwater aquarium was an was perfectly happy seeing the vibrant colors of the fish with the relatively low maintenance of a fowlr tank. I think the general public is the same way. All they see is pretty colors.

I also look at some of the posts on this forum and have to wonder how many of us would be happy if they misrepresented reef aquariums. You think they do a bad job with fish only think of all the steps that would be edited with a reef tank. They would have to spend a whole season just covering one tank to satisfy the standards set by this forum. Call me crazy but that does not sound all that interesting. Sorry if I ****ed any one off but its the truth in my opinion.

Kevin

HecticDialectics
From the standpoint of the general public, I certainly can't argue. That translates into views and ratings for them, which is what they are after. But from our comparatively small niche point of view, it is a big letdown or at the very least, it only covers a fraction of the story/experience one gets out of having an aquarium.

I am positive that absolutely no television show made for TV will go into enough depth and detail to satisfy anyone remotely intelligent in the biology of reefkeeping.

Go take a class at your local college. :lol:

For what the show is I think they do a good job of sparking interest. I know before I started my nano reef I was fascinated by how much more colorful a saltwater aquarium was an was perfectly happy seeing the vibrant colors of the fish with the relatively low maintenance of a fowlr tank. I think the general public is the same way. All they see is pretty colors.

I also look at some of the posts on this forum and have to wonder how many of us would be happy if they misrepresented reef aquariums. You think they do a bad job with fish only think of all the steps that would be edited with a reef tank. They would have to spend a whole season just covering one tank to satisfy the standards set by this forum. Call me crazy but that does not sound all that interesting. Sorry if I ****ed any one off but its the truth in my opinion.

Kevin

I agree with that completely. Im just saying i cant stand to listen to them talk. Its dorky and scripted dialog.

Blennylover14

People are the biggest haters on here wow. Jealousy overcomes you doesn't it??

Honestly if I was making that much $ with aquariums id be just like them.

Stop hating and being so jealous. Just be grateful there is finally an aquarium or fish show on tv

kevinlogan42
I agree with that completely. Im just saying i cant stand to listen to them talk. Its dorky and scripted dialog.

Some of the stuff they come up with is pretty bad. I could do with out all the out of shop talk. More of the fabricating would be awesome. Being a bit of DIYer I love to learn new things.

Kevin

Stop hating and being so jealous. Just be grateful there is finally an aquarium or fish show on tv

Whoah who let gangsta licious in to stunt on all us haters

HecticDialectics

Thank god, I'm not the only rational one here.

Blennylover14
Whoah who let gangsta licious in to stunt on all us haters

Really? I'm just saying, there just trying to make a living doing what they like and everyone has to bag on them because they do one thing wrong

Thank god, I'm not the only rational one here.

+1

I watch the show and said im looking forward to season 2. I havent even complained about the "reefing" thing. Hell the show doesnt even claim to be about reefing or even maintaining an aquarium for that matter. Its about building big ridiculous tanks. My only complaint is that the guys are cheezy. And money doesnt make you cheezy scripted reality shows do.

Jealously is definitely not the word to describe my hate for these people

2 Fat middle age balding men who star on a hated/cheesy TV show about a profession they are not so good at themselves...

As far as money, it's not like they're making the Big Buck$

I honestly have nothing to be jealous about

Cross my heart

I am happy with my tank, my life, and myself

BTW, I will be watching season 2 and you don't +1 ur own stupid comment, let people share their opinion and don't force your opinion onto others, just share ur opinion and respectively read others :D

altolamprologus
It was for sale because it crashed. Lmao jk LETS FIGHT!

The pics they of it showed it only had like 2 or 3 fish left out of the dozens they stocked it with

kevinlogan42

I am just throwing my 2 cents in I really could care less what anyone thinks about the show I have my dvr set to record it tomorrow night and will probably sit down and watch as soon as I get home from work. I wondered if the owners just saw the opportunity to make a buck and took advantage. oh well we may never know.

Kevin

The pics they of it showed it only had like 2 or 3 fish left out of the dozens they stocked it with

Lol i knew those damsels were gonna go ballistic in there.

Amphiprion1

I think a lot of folks are getting far too defensive about this. If you like the show, fine. There's nothing wrong with it in general. I like the animals and spent a lot of time, school, etc. focusing on them specifically, so it isn't exactly my cup of tea. I know a lot of people on here enjoy the construction/fabrication and/or gadgetry aspect just as much as they like the animals; I'm just not one of them. Yes, it often bewilders me how they get as fired up as they do about constructing the tanks (which I find boring and tedious), but I have to stop and consider the above, too. While it wasn't anything extreme like what these guys do, I worked in the business end of the hobby for over 10 years and ended up not liking it. To each his/her own.

I think in there is a show called "aquarium kings" or "tank kings" that is premiering on Nat Geo in the next month or so. It is the nat geo competitor to "tanked"

Personally, I don't like the show, but that isn't to say that they aren't doing a good job. It's obvious that their main purpose as a company is fabricating custom aquariums first and foremost and adding fish is a secondary objective. They're being paid the big money for their custom fabrication and the feeling I get is that they supply the first "batch" of fish, but then it's on the owner to take care of/replace them. They stick to fish-only systems with extremely standard (yet high quality) filtration systems and low maintenance livestock for this reason.

I don't necessarily agree with all of their methods of handling fish, cycling, etc, but you have to remember that it is a TV show and they obviously aren't going to show every single step that goes into it. It would be nice if they gave some sort of warning, but at the same time, they aren't giving you a warning on home makeover shows that you can't knock down a house and have it build the same day either.

As reef keepers, we're all going to have opinions the second a show like this hits the air. Let's just be thankful they aren't installing full-blown reefs with SPS, anemones, blue linkias, and moorish idols in one day.

I really do not like having them represent the aquarium industry (ambassador)

Even the tanks aren't great...

USE REAL ####ING CORAL!

Then we'll see...

No thank you!

Do you have any idea how much coral it would take to fill up those mega tanks?

Because I guarantee you that their clients arent going to settle for waiting for months or years for frags to grow like we do.

Maybe it's the biologist in me talking, but I wish they'd devote more time to the animals rather than how they fabricate aquariums. It's cool that they can turn random things into aquaria, but a lot of people do that and without bragging as much. Why not have a show that focuses more on what actually goes in the tanks (and what happens in those tanks)?

Its called discovery channel

This is TLC lol

Ah, that guys is the WORST! He like picked up a fish out of the water in his hand and held it there to talk about it. That's the one that needs to be taken out by natural selection. :lol:

Very cool guy in person

Yeah I never have been fishing, taken the fish off the hook to get a picture before...

It's TV guys made for people not in the hobby for the most part.

HecticDialectics
Very cool guy in person

Yeah I never have been fishing, taken the fish off the hook to get a picture before...

It's TV guys made for people not in the hobby for the most part.

The problem, stevie, is that when the average person gets into a hobby, it's how they define themselves. Except in reality, when the vast majority of people get into a hobby, they half ass it, don't really know that much about the subject, and use it to pump themselves up and feel important around their friends. The end result of this is that you end up with people acting uppity over stupid crap like this to try and prove how significant and superior they are.

Watched the episode... It was pretty usual, nothing special. Pretty fly tank with the sharks and shizz. Any 'pinions? :D

Archived