Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jason12's EcoPico

jason12

Hi all,

Just purchased an Ecoxotic EcoPico the other day and decided to go in a slightly different direction than I had initially planned with it.

At first I just wanted a small kitchen counter tank that I could use to brighten up the area by adding a few softies and some mushrooms.

However, after looking at various designs and some additional components people have added to them, I've decided to go for a slightly upgraded pico. Basically, it's gonna be an experiment into what this little thing can handle from a growth and sustainability perspective.

So for now what I have planned is to get the tank set up and cycled, and get started with the upgrades.

The plan is to have 2 of the stock light arms from ecoxotic completely jammed with 10 led strips. As far as filtration is concerned, being that this isn't going to hold much more than a small cleanup crew I'm going to stick with the stock filtration as well as the azoo palm filter. I think a combination of those 2 as well as the koralia nano that's already in there should provide plenty of flow.

I'm also planning on getting a custom fit acrylic top once the additional arm and led strips arrive, to keep evap as low as I can.

It'll be a work in progress and I'm just now ordering the additional components so in the next few days/week I should be ready to get all of the additional parts plugged in and running.

I've included a few pics, sorry the cell phone camera kinda stinks.

IMG_20120413_124603.jpg

IMG_20120413_124521.jpg

IMG_20120413_124431.jpg

IMG_20120413_124413.jpg

IMG_20120413_124406.jpg

2 Separate rocks, the bottom one is flat and the top one is sort of a pyramid shape. I'm sure I'll adjust the aquascape 300 times as I go, but this one looked good for now :happy:

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it!

Anyone have any input on color combos for the lights? As of now I have 3 strips up there, down the middle is of course the stock strip and on the outsides of that I've put the 453nm Blue's. So I was thinking about doing 2 all white's on the outside of those. Then just repeating the same setup for the additional arm. Making each arm from left to right....white, blue, white/blue/white, blue, white.

******EDIT******

Just realized how utterly confusing that was...

Here's what I had in mind

IMG_20120413_140543.jpg

Decided to go with the white/blue/white and all blue combos. So placed my order and am anxiously awaiting delivery.

Ordered:

Additional LED arm

4 white/blue/white LED strips

3 blue LED strips

Azoo Palm filter

2 3-way splitters

3 12v Transformers

It'll be a total of 2 Arms with 10 LED strips (18 blue and 12 White)

This little tank is gonna light up big time when I'm done with it!

Will post pics on arrival of everything

Wiring, zip tying, installing, and a few hours later. Up and running!!

IMG_20120419_134326.jpg

IMG_20120419_151613.jpg

IMG_20120419_151626.jpg

Possibly the most expensive 5 gallons of water I've ever had. Got the spacing a little better and made everything look even. I really need to get a new DSLR because this camera on my phone does these pictures absolutely NO justice, this thing is BRIGHT. Just did a water change, waiting for the nitrites to come down, then the stocking will commence!

Also going to run to the hardware store and grab a few thin strips of acrylic to make a custom fit top for this thing.

Curious, what kind of salt do you guys use. I've just been using the plain Instant Ocean (non Reef Crystals). Any particular brand any of you guys swear by, or any good results found with others?

Wow that's alot of light! Those led arms are sleek. Do you acclimate your corals to the LEDs?

Yea I've only got half of the strips running right now until they get a little more used to it, then I'll gradually add some strips a few at a time.

That has to be around $300 worth of lighting there.

You are correct lol. This was my attempt at seeing what an ecopico is made of, using only stock lighting. These desktops are a lot of work though, that's for sure. Tossed a Zoa frag in there as well, pictures to come later after it opens back up!

You are correct lol. This was my attempt at seeing what an ecopico is made of, using only stock lighting. These desktops are a lot of work though, that's for sure. Tossed a Zoa frag in there as well, pictures to come later after it opens back up!

Wow! I'm definitely following along.

Archived