SaltCritters.com

Yasha coroner needed!

Sailfish

Hi!

Yesterday I purchased a Randalli's Pistol shrimp and a Yasha goby for my 10 gallon cube. It was a five hour trip from the shop to my apartment, but they were in seperate bags filled with oxygen and transported in a thick styrofoam box. When I got home I drip acclimated them. The shrimp seems to be doing fine, but the Yasha Goby just lies in the same spot on the bottom of the tank as it did when I left the tank eight hours ago!

I acclimated them in a small glass cube I have as a QT tank and when I was going to put the Yasha Goby in the DT it took some tries with the net, say 6-7 times, before I got him in and added him to the DT. Could this stress cause my Yasha Goby to go into this "trance"? Or is it simply dead?

I plan to go to classes now and perhaps approach it with a chopstick or something to check if it responds when I return. Anyone would care to second that?

altolamprologus

Sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning. Basically the bag fills up with ammonia but it becomes less toxic as the pH drops and when you drip acclimate, the pH comes back up and ammonia becomes a lot more toxic. It usually only happens when the fish have been in the bag longer, but I wouldn't rule it out. Unfortunately the only cure for it is time, unless it's already dead. There's no cure for that

lies on his side or stomach. if it moves then its fine. theyre kind of shy at first

also, kudos for distinguishing lie from lay

It lies on it's stomach and it moved a bit and opened his mouth real wide when I put my finger to the glass. Can probably rule out that he is dead! :)

Sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning. Basically the bag fills up with ammonia but it becomes less toxic as the pH drops and when you drip acclimate, the pH comes back up and ammonia becomes a lot more toxic. It usually only happens when the fish have been in the bag longer, but I wouldn't rule it out. Unfortunately the only cure for it is time, unless it's already dead. There's no cure for that

Hmm, perhaps. But he seemed fine when the drip acclimation was finished and I tried to net him, to get him into the DT :scarry: Fingers crossed! fingerscrossed

It lies on it's stomach and it moved a bit and opened his mouth real wide when I put my finger to the glass. Can probably rule out that he is dead! :)

Hmm, perhaps. But he seemed fine when the drip acclimation was finished and I tried to net him, to get him into the DT :scarry: Fingers crossed! fingerscrossed

pretty normal behavior. if its alert then dont worry about it. since you just got it, try shutting the lights off and see if it relocates in the dark, possibly finding the shrimp.

pretty normal behavior. if its alert then dont worry about it. since you just got it, try shutting the lights off and see if it relocates in the dark, possibly finding the shrimp.

That's comforting :)

When I came home, just now, I checked and he has dug a little burrow underneath a branch of LR, in which he currently lies. I hope he will find the shrimp, who has already dug a cave under my main piece of LR, and pair up B)

Should I keep the lights off for today?

I am happy to announce that my Yasha goby is active and eating with great appatite! :)

Thanks for all the help calming me down guys!

Did I forget to mention that the Yasha has paired up with the shrimp? B)

Archived