Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what's up with my clown? (pic)

Flexin5

hey guys, anyone know what is the deal with this oc. clown? when i bought him he was fine, looked like a regular oc.clown. but over the last say, 5 months he's been getting black. started out with spots, and just kinda looks like its taking over. he is acting totaly normal, aside from bullying the other clown which has 0 black marks. both have been eating well and growing nicely.

at first i thought it was coral burn, the other clown had a couple of spots on his belly from hositng a group of zoa's but i moved it and it's cleared up, or he's become imune to it, but this one has never cleared up. i figured if it was black ich woulden't the other clown have it now too? the other clown has been clean for the last 2ish months.

possible that's he's mixed with a black/white clown or something?

sorry for the crappy pic

51aa5255.jpg

i'm also trying to figure out why they are fighting so much. the clean one was smaller when i got him, but has grown to the same size, so i'm thinking that it's for dominance. on the other hand the one in the pic is slimmer/longer and his eye looks like it has a lighter spot right in the middle; whereas the other one is more fat from top to bottom and his eye is completly black. if they are different species then that could also explain the fighting.

altolamprologus

Looks like a fancy ocellaris or mocha ocellaris

post a better pic so we can its eyes. Could be an onyx as said above

ohhhh that could explain it. yea sorry for the crappy pic i just took it on my way out.

here's a pic, you can see the spotting that started earlier on the top one. also you can see how the bottom clown is a bit wider from top to bottom.

6914606599_db4aa75bf8_z.jpg

this is an earilier pic when i first got him, no marks yet, but notice the eye

KY0C0032-2.jpg

better pic of eye

KY0C9891.jpg

and this is the other clean one's eye.

6648372999_38d52a1d7a_z.jpg

thanks for the responses!

altolamprologus

Looks like an onyx percula, but sometimes ocellaris babies have light eyes that make them look more like percs. Do you have any recent pics?

ohh ok. so it's possible that it may be a perc?

correct me if i'm wrong but i shoulden't have a perc and a oc. in the same tank no? they chase eachother around pretty good, i'm just worried that one will get stressed or worse, they are both eating fine. 90% of the time it's spotty who's doing the chasing.

those are probably the best/most recent pics i have of them up close, i'll definatly take some more clear ones when i get home tonight.

altolamprologus
ohh ok. so it's possible that it may be a perc?

correct me if i'm wrong but i shoulden't have a perc and a oc. in the same tank no?

those are probably the best/most recent pics i have of them up close, i'll definatly take some more clear ones when i get home tonight.

Percs and ocellaris are so closely related that they pair up just fine and don't cause each other problems. If you don't have any pics of the eye, could you just tell us what color it is? If it's dark like the other clown, it's ocellaris. If it's bright orange, it's percula. Some ocellaris and mixed clowns have a mix of black and orange in their eye

Percs and ocellaris are so closely related that they pair up just fine and don't cause each other problems. If you don't have any pics of the eye, could you just tell us what color it is? If it's dark like the other clown, it's ocellaris. If it's bright orange, it's percula. Some ocellaris and mixed clowns have a mix of black and orange in their eye

oh i'm sorry, the one with the spots (onyx) has the light color eye, almost orange/transparant while the clean one (oc.) has a completly dark eye)

sounds like the one is a onyx perc. and the other one is just a regular oce. thanks so much for the clairification tho. are the onyx's harder to come by? I guess their fighting is due to size.

altolamprologus

Then you do indeed have an onyx perc :) Did you pay ocellaris price for it? If you did, that's one sweet deal!

Then you do indeed have an onyx perc :) Did you pay ocellaris price for it? If you did, that's one sweet deal!

I did actually? hahaha basically went to the LFS and even picked him out of the tank with the other ocellaris.lol he was like $20 how much do they normally go for?

altolamprologus
I did actually? hahaha basically went to the LFS and even picked him out of the tank with the other ocellaris.lol he was like $20 how much do they normally go for?

About $100 :D

Well I found a website selling them for $65. Still a score though

damn and this entire time i thought there was something wrong with him :lol:

i just snapped these right now,

onyx?

KY0C0414.jpg

and the other regular one

KY0C0415.jpg

so if he is indeed a onyx, that means he is a variation of a true perc? the only thing i see missing from it being a true onyx perc is the black dorsal fin...

altolamprologus

Hmmm he looks blacker in the original pic you posted. It looks like he does have some onyx in him. Either way he is a perc, not an ocellaris

Hmmm he looks blacker in the original pic you posted. It looks like he does have some onyx in him. Either way he is a perc, not an ocellaris

ah gotcha. atleast now i know for sure that he's not an ocellaris that i origionally thought i was buying. the other side of him is a bit darker/more black. it seems that with time he is getting darker so maybe he will turn totaly black inbetween the white.

thanks for the help!

altolamprologus

Perculas can take over a year to develop all their coloration, and sometimes continue darkening for years so you may a very nice fish in the making :)

Perculas can take over a year to develop all their coloration, and sometimes continue darkening for years so you may a very nice fish in the making :)

oh score. i hope he turns out like the other onyx's on google..lol

Archived