13 replies to this topic

tysfoot

tysfoot

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 29 Feb 2012

Hi,
I have a 23l Fluval Edge converted to marine which has been set up fully for about 3 months now

I went to my local fish shop today and they had some really good looking reef bones (about 1 kilo) which would look great in my edge and the guy said to wash it and dry it a couple of times then it will be safe to put in my tank after about 2-3 days
I have about 2 kilos of live rock but want to replace this rock with the reef bones

I was thinking of putting the reef bones in with my live rock then afetr a couple of weeks when they have matured to take my live rock out i didnt want,

Would this be the best way ?

Cheers

iball1804

iball1804

heard that!

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 09 Apr 2011
  • where the wild things are
What exactly are reef bones? Fossilized coral skeletons?

do_0b

do_0b

[][][]

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Joined 10 Feb 2008
  • Toronto/Huntington Beach
think its another way of saying rock lol

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,224 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

What exactly are reef bones? Fossilized coral skeletons?

think its another way of saying rock lol

This, it's just dry rock.

tysfoot

tysfoot

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 29 Feb 2012
Not much help here again, i hate people answering a question with a question, if you dont know the answer dont answer it

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,224 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

Not much help here again, i hate people answering a question with a question, if you dont know the answer dont answer it

"Reef bones" are just dry rock, I said in my previous post. That should answer your question as to whether or not it is safe to add to your tank.

JamesHL88

JamesHL88

o.Oż?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 21 Dec 2011
Beware! Most coral skeletons for sale are bleached. Boil them thouroughly then let air dry for a few days then they are the same as dry rock.

hirschy75

hirschy75

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2008

So just to be clear, besides coming off like a total douche after asking for help you'd rather have people try to answer your questions based on assumptions they've made about what it is that you're trying to describe rather then asking a couple questions to clear things up first?

So glad you've never walked into my shop and demanded any help...

Veng

Veng

Disaster Inc.

• Premium Members
  • 5,973 posts
  • Joined 06 Jan 2012

So just to be clear, besides coming off like a total douche after asking for help you'd rather have people try to answer your questions based on assumptions they've made about what it is that you're trying to describe rather then asking a couple questions to clear things up first?

So glad you've never walked into my shop and demanded any help...

+1.

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA

maybe if you used proper words, like a grown-up, people would not have to ask you what you meant.

Edited by solefald, 17 April 2012 - 07:34 AM.

viplok

viplok

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 24 Feb 2012
yes, its safe to add "reef bone" to ur system but make sure "bone" is completely dry so it dosent add any bateria to ur tank.

i lol so bad reading this threat omgomgomg

saltohio

saltohio

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 17 Apr 2011
  • Avon, OH

I call troll.

absolon

absolon

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Joined 14 Jun 2011
I would start with with a box of milk bones and if those work out slowly move to reef bones over a couple weeks.

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

• Members
  • 3,358 posts
  • Joined 13 Oct 2011
  • Oregon

I would start with with a box of milk bones and if those work out slowly move to reef bones over a couple weeks.

+1

I've been using milk bones in my tanks for years. Added bonus, if you have a dogfish, they will thank you!